Time spent traveling in your cart

Closed Thread
Old 08-04-2019, 08:55 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,159 Times in 1,921 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Neighbor has an electric....has it set for 25 MPH. More that fast enough for a cart.
How is it possible to "set" and electric cart to go faster than the preset from the factory? Is your neighbor's cart a street legal cart?
Old 08-04-2019, 09:02 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeebean View Post
How is it possible to "set" and electric cart to go faster than the preset from the factory? Is your neighbor's cart a street legal cart?
There is software that is used by the factory or authorized technicians to set the limits. That software is available and many people can adjust it for you if you want to go faster.

However, remember the golf cart is a glorified lawn mower and not a dumbed down racing car. The suspension was not designed to go much faster and it can become unstable.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:37 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,103 Times in 1,336 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
There is software that is used by the factory or authorized technicians to set the limits. That software is available and many people can adjust it for you if you want to go faster.

However, remember the golf cart is a glorified lawn mower and not a dumbed down racing car. The suspension was not designed to go much faster and it can become unstable.
Wait until there is a need to avoid something on a cart doing 25 mph. Not much hope for a quick stop either.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:24 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
My wife often makes similar comments about my driving in our car
My husband's stepmother wore a hole through the floor of the passenger side of the car with her high heels. She had never learned to drive.
Old 08-05-2019, 08:26 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carla B View Post
My husband's stepmother wore a hole through the floor of the passenger side of the car with her high heels. She had never learned to drive.
My wife constantly complains that I need to get the brakes fixed on the passenger side of our car.

Old 09-20-2019, 11:28 AM

I take my dog on two golf cart rides a day, ending at a rec center for his walk or to the dog park . 5 year old cart had 52,000 miles on it . They are also much easier to find a parking space for . Gas is the only choice. There is NO warning when an electric runs out of charge ; the gauges are not linear .
Old 09-20-2019, 12:07 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

I wonder if any Yamaha Gas Cart has ever broken the 75,000 or 100,000-mile mark without an Engine Block Replacement? That would be some selling point, wouldn't it? GrumyOldMan, why not call J & J Golf Cart Rental and esplain to them what you're trying to accomplish Phone: 352 259-9701.

Sharon Star at The Villages Golf Cart 352-750-3410 and esplain to her the thing you are trying to decide. I believe your decision will be a whole lot easier than you think it is. You could flip a coin.

Nobody told you our new friend, once you decide which kind of cart now you have to decide from where? Oh Boy! Everybody, Mostly Everybody had the best place to buy a cart. You are doing great. Most people have the same indecision as you.

I just can't get the vision of a friend of ours who needed batteries in both of his Pristine E-Z Golf Carts and got the news about both inside of one week. The Tears In His Eyes were Gigantic. It was sad to see him have to face the music! $$$ He fixed one and bought a beautiful brand new Yamaha Gas from The Villages Golf Carts. Imagine Pull in, report the problem drive out in a loaner inside of 15 minutes. No waiting for a repairman to show at your house. Good Luck Grump. You are going to do fine.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary lovell View Post
I take my dog on two golf cart rides a day, ending at a rec center for his walk or to the dog park . 5 year old cart had 52,000 miles on it . They are also much easier to find a parking space for . Gas is the only choice. There is NO warning when an electric runs out of charge ; the gauges are not linear .
Another fear post.....you like gas, some of us like electric....oh yeah, there is warning when you get low but you should never get low...plug it into the socket very night and you will get 40-60 miles in the morning. And, why do carts run out of gas even with gauges?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 09-20-2019, 01:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,316 Times in 870 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucky View Post
I wonder if any Yamaha Gas Cart has ever broken the 75,000 or 100,000-mile mark without an Engine Block Replacement? That would be some selling point, wouldn't it? GrumyOldMan, why not call J & J Golf Cart Rental and esplain to them what you're trying to accomplish Phone: 352 259-9701.

Sharon Star at The Villages Golf Cart 352-750-3410 and esplain to her the thing you are trying to decide. I believe your decision will be a whole lot easier than you think it is. You could flip a coin.

Nobody told you our new friend, once you decide which kind of cart now you have to decide from where? Oh Boy! Everybody, Mostly Everybody had the best place to buy a cart. You are doing great. Most people have the same indecision as you.

I just can't get the vision of a friend of ours who needed batteries in both of his Pristine E-Z Golf Carts and got the news about both inside of one week. The Tears In His Eyes were Gigantic. It was sad to see him have to face the music! $$$ He fixed one and bought a beautiful brand new Yamaha Gas from The Villages Golf Carts. Imagine Pull in, report the problem drive out in a loaner inside of 15 minutes. No waiting for a repairman to show at your house. Good Luck Grump. You are going to do fine.
So your friend did no due diligence when he bought his E-Z Go. How could he not know that he would need to but batteries and how much they would cost. I replace batteries every 4 years, about $700.00. I knew that before I bought it and we bought two. I have full range (but then I live in the middle now), and have a nice quiet clean ride. Next time you're out take a look at how many brand new Yamaha's are pulled over so either the driver or the passenger can make a phone call. We have had neighbors make the swith to electric. All of what I just said means NOTHING since you are the one that will be driving it, maintaining it, sharing it with your spouse. Do your due diligence and make a decsion that meets your lifestyle. The advice you get here is a result of individuals biases and preferences and if youi make a decision based on what they tell you here, if you make a bad one they will not be here to accept any responsibility. Very few here will admit they made the wrong decision.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 10-20-2019, 12:55 PM

Our first was a used 4 seater electric. It was all we had here for awhile. What I found was it was adequate to go from Belle Aire to 466a and back, but not if I golfed there with a passenger, or if I had it loaded with 2 or 3 other people, which cuts your range considerably, especially coming up out of tunnels with the load. Then there was the long 5 hours or so to recharge back. We do a lot and if we went out for breakfast, golfed, then maybe out in afternoon for a store, and to a town square, it was not a good charging cycle for the lead acid batteries. We moved to Springdale and opted for a new Yamaha quiet gas cart and it is nice to not worry about carrying our charger if we visit family or friends was down south. Kept the electric for when family visits. Electric only let me down two or three times. So I think it depends on your driving.
Old 10-20-2019, 02:44 PM
Veteran member

Just purchased a new electric cart about a month ago. I figure by the time I need to replace the batteries, either the lithium battery will be much cheaper, or the newest, aluminum battery, which will recharge in seconds, will replace my old batteries.

New battery promises to outdo and out-green lithium batteries | Anthropocene
Old 10-24-2019, 10:30 AM
Veteran member

Between our home and our two rentals we own 4 golf carts: one older gas, one Yamaha Quiet Tech, one acid battery, and one lithium battery. We switch them around depending on whether the renters have four people. The older gas one I don’t like to drive, I find it much too noisy, but since it’s included in the rental my tenants love it. The Yamaha Quiet Tech still seems loud to me, but it is quieter than the older gas one. We prefer riding in the electric carts due to the noise. Both seem to get us from our house to Nancy Lopez and then down to Brownwood, but once they open the bridges to Southern Oaks, we will probably take the gas cart. We find the most important thing is comfy seats.

And we prefer golf cart errands to car errands, so we don’t use the car anywhere near as much as the carts.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,349 Times in 2,505 Posts

My personal preference, and weakness, is gas, but wife is not so keen on it, that's why I am stuck in the lanai most evenings.
Old 11-08-2019, 06:55 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
You could buy a tricked-out used golf cart for less than that. USB ports, tilt-out lower half windshield, sand bottle, cooler, premium seats, seatbelts, overhead storage bin or fan, premium color striping and light package, arm rests, etc. If you're lucky you might even find one that's still got a couple months left on the original warranty.
Of all those options you mentioned, you didn't mention a steering wheel with self cancelling directionals which also has regular and high beam lights with the horn right on the steering wheel. Yamaha offered that option and I would not consider any cart with that.
Old 11-08-2019, 07:04 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
If you run out of battery your dead in the water. With gas some body can bring you a gallon to get you home. Can't do that with electric.
That's what Kart Aide is for. Very inexpensive to have peace of mind, especially if you can't remember to plug in your cart.

Tags
time, issue, cart, mile, minutes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.