Time spent traveling in your cart

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2019, 11:15 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts
Default Time spent traveling in your cart

I thought a gas vs electric post was way past due!

With about 2 months before we move into TV I am still debating and flip-flopping on the issue of which type to buy.

Something I would be interested in hearing is how much time you all spend in your carts?

To me it seems anything that is more than 30 minutes (or so) away is a car trip. At 20 MPH that means 10 miles is about as far as I THINK I would want to drive it - since that would end up being 30 minutes each way, or an hour out of my day.

If that is the case, then I don't see the 40 mile range of batteries being an issue. And the 50 mile for the lithium, or 70 for the "new"lithiums would seem to be more than a good safety margin.

So, how many hours of your life is spent enjoying a golf cart ride each day/week or month?
Old 07-29-2019, 11:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

I have 2 golf carts a 4 seater and a 2 seater. We don't golf. If I can get there by Golf Cart that's what we take period. The Car is for off Campus use only. I live on Bonita and have been from one end to the other by golf cart. I'm in no hurry when I get there I get there. Both of our carts are gas.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,592 Times in 5,189 Posts

When I moved here, I realized that golf carts were too slow, uncomfortable, and dangerous for me, so I didn't buy one at all. But, it seems strange to me that gas carts seem to be more popular than electric, even though the trend in regular cars is starting to move to electric.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,995 Times in 1,728 Posts

On the week of our Lifestyle visit, hubby tried out the cart that came with the villa. He liked it. As a professional driver he’ll drive anything with any number of wheels. He took me once from the Atwood villa to the closest Publix. I got a stomach ache and never got into the cart again. It could have been his driving.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:53 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
When I moved here, I realized that golf carts were too slow, uncomfortable, and dangerous for me, so I didn't buy one at all. But, it seems strange to me that gas carts seem to be more popular than electric, even though the trend in regular cars is starting to move to electric.
I think the cost justification is still a close call for electric carts. Also the lack of charging locations around TV. With the advent of lithium batteries I expect we will see more and more places to plug in and "top off" your charge, something that is ill advised with lead acid batteries.

So the 250 mile range of gas is still a easy choice for most.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:54 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet View Post
On the week of our Lifestyle visit, hubby tried out the cart that came with the villa. He liked it. As a professional driver he’ll drive anything with any number of wheels. He took me once from the Atwood villa to the closest Publix. I got a stomach ache and never got into the cart again. It could have been his driving.
My wife often makes similar comments about my driving in our car
Old 07-29-2019, 12:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member

It depends on how well you like to use a cart. A 15 minute one way trip is fine. Going to 30 minutes for time to time is probably ok. The other question is how far would you drive before going home? If most of your trips are too and from home then you can recharge during the day.
I would go toward electric as they are quitter and I do not think I would be going any where close to 40 miles between charges.
If you want remote charging be sure to get a cart with the charger on board.
Old 07-29-2019, 12:17 PM
Veteran member

Charging locations? Where are there charging locations other than homes? Seriously. Maybe I'm missing something.

Back on topic, I switched from gas to electric and never regretted it. Quieter, just as fast or faster, and I've driven from Gilchrist to Lopez, played 18, and drove home without a problem. Just have to remember to recharge after every ride and replace batteries every three-four years. Walking back that opinion, the new Yamahas are quiet enough to make me interested in them for my replacement cart in a few years.

Last edited by alwann; 07-29-2019 at 12:20 PM. Reason: plural not possessive
Old 07-29-2019, 12:46 PM

we never take our car out of garage for traveling in the villages. The time past viewing the ever changing beautiful scenery, flora and fauna is a soothing time. All at a much slower pace than car and on the multimodel paths majority of time. 2 Gas carts here...very longggg range.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:10 PM

We have two carts, both gas, and one automobile. We take the golf carts, weather permitting, for most outings within The Villages. We live in Osceola Hills and drive the cart to Brownwood or to Lake Sumter Landing. Those are within 20 to 30 minutes. Occasionally, for the fun of it, we will take the cart to Spanish Springs or even to the Walmart on 466, both of which are a little longer than 40 minutes by cart. We enjoy leisurely riding in the cart.

If we are going ballroom dancing or to church or to anything where the wife's hair can not be blown by the wind, we go by auto. I golf, and I drive the golf cart from Osceola Hills to all the championship golf courses except for Nancy Lopez; I go by auto there. I can get to the other 11 championship courses from between 10 and 43 minutes. Forty three to Orange Blossom and to Glenview. And I have my cart set at the legal 20 mph; I just plan our trips accordingly.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:22 PM
Gold member

I drive my cart all the time. I have calculated that I drive 100 miles a month almost each month. Batteries to charge, no thanks. Batteries to replace for mucho bucks, no thanks. But I am interested in the new quieter gas Yamahas.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:43 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navy (SSBN 633) View Post
we never take our car out of garage for traveling in the villages. The time past viewing the ever changing beautiful scenery, flora and fauna is a soothing time. All at a much slower pace than car and on the multimodel paths majority of time. 2 Gas carts here...very longggg range.
Old 07-29-2019, 01:47 PM
Gold member

I spend way more time traveling in my cart in TV.
Even though I spend far less on gas, the main reason
for me, is that it is a much better way to
experience the beautifully landscaped areas of TV.
Only motorcyclists and cart drivers understand why
dogs love to stick their heads out of car windows!
Old 07-29-2019, 01:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,456 Times in 3,087 Posts

We have a gas cart. I think the OP is missing one variable in the equation. How many trips do you take per day? That 20-minute ride will be fine. But what happens when you go home, and need to go out again? You haven't had time for your car to recharge, and you're about to take another possible 20-minute ride.

So you do that, come home, your cart is pretty thirsty and you plug it in.

20 minutes later, you realize you're out of milk.

You can get in the car, run the AC and waste 20MPG for a 2-mile drive to Publix, or you can wait a couple hours til your cart is fully charged again because you KNOW as soon as you get home, you'll get a phone call from the pharmacy telling you that your prescription is ready to pick up. And then an hour later it's time for your weekly dinner date at the other Town Square.

Spending most of your day being concerned about whether or not you have enough juice to get you through the entire day's worth of trips - is not the idea of paradise to me.

On the other hand!

If everything I needed was within a 1 or 2-mile range, I could easily use the cart all day on a single charge and then recharge overnight.

On the other hand!

Power outages = no recharge = no golf cart.
Old 07-29-2019, 02:08 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazuela View Post
20 minutes later, you realize you're out of milk. Power outages = no recharge = no golf cart.
That's why I'd never buy a gas cart.

I'd be worried that the tanker drivers would be on strike, leaving the gas stations dry just when my tank was nearly empty and I'd run out of cornflakes.

Last edited by Arctic Fox; 07-29-2019 at 03:20 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
time, issue, cart, mile, minutes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.