Time spent traveling in your cart

Closed Thread
Old 07-29-2019, 06:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henryk View Post
I drive my cart all the time. I have calculated that I drive 100 miles a month almost each month. Batteries to charge, no thanks. Batteries to replace for mucho bucks, no thanks. But I am interested in the new quieter gas Yamahas.
Agree with above post.
Old 07-29-2019, 07:03 PM
Veteran member

We have two gas carts, one two seater and one 4 seater. We downsized to one car.

We prefer the golf cart, weather permitting. As others have said....just a slower and a more scenic pace.

Whichever you choose....you are in for a ride of your life.....no pun intended!

Went to Fenney this past weekend to check out the progress....WOW...can't wait to be able to cart there from our Village of Hadley. Think it will be a beautiful scenic ride to visit our southern friends!
Old 07-29-2019, 09:25 PM
Platinum member

I only travel by cart in TV in every kind of weather. I have doors on my cart. I have a Yamaha gas. I put 100 miles on a week... easily...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 07-29-2019, 10:11 PM

Last edited by Nonni252; 08-04-2019 at 10:14 PM.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

We have 2 gas Yamaha cart one of which is newer and quieter. I have been known to drive 100+ miles in one day. I have done that at least 2 times and possible more. I have gone through over a tank of gas within a week a couple times. At least with gas you can pull into a station and fill up.

It takes us about 55 minutes to get to Brownwood from the house and we go there often. Since getting our first cart we have not driven the car within the Villages.
Old 07-29-2019, 10:33 PM
Gold member

Yamaha PTV AC and EZGO RXV have 6x8V=48V,170ah lead-acid batteries capable of about 60 miles at 85F. If you regularly drive 30 miles or more between full charges then get a gas cart.

Hillsborough Trl -> Morse Blvd -> El Camino Real -> Buena Vista -> Hillsborough Trl = 26 Miles.

Charge lead-acid batteries fully after each use. Its not important to keep Lithium batteries fully charged.

Its nice to know you always have 60 miles of electric range every time you leave the house.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:20 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,477 Times in 753 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fraugoofy View Post
I only travel by cart in TV in every kind of weather. I have doors on my cart. I have a Yamaha gas. I put 100 miles on a week... easily...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Thank you.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
We have 2 gas Yamaha cart one of which is newer and quieter. I have been known to drive 100+ miles in one day. I have done that at least 2 times and possible more. I have gone through over a tank of gas within a week a couple times. At least with gas you can pull into a station and fill up.

It takes us about 55 minutes to get to Brownwood from the house and we go there often. Since getting our first cart we have not driven the car within the Villages.
Thanks. Thats a lot of miles! Gas would seem to be the only option at this time for someone driving that many miles every day.
Old 07-30-2019, 06:59 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

No cart, just golf carts. I am only in TVs 4-5 months a year. Gas carts for me. Depending on what is going on I could put over 50 miles a day. Comfortable seats a must. Easy to enjoy the beauty and peace in a cart.
Old 07-30-2019, 08:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyOldMan View Post
You make a very valid point, and that and the maintenance "hassles" with lead acid batteries are why I was (am?) considering gas.

BUT, and there is always a but, the new Lithium batteries have a very fast charge rate, and you can "top them off" unlike lead acid. So, you can come home with say 50% charge left, plug in and 30 minutes later go out with maybe 80% charge (30 to 40 miles0, come back and plug in and 2 hours later and you definitely have a full charge again (50 to 70 miles).

So, far less anxiety - maybe.
Has anyone seen a lithium battery on fire. As I understand there is no way to extinguish it. Nice to store in your garage. Love to hear from anyone with "facts"
Old 07-30-2019, 08:32 AM
Sage

There are YouTube videos of lithium-ion battery fires. However, it is a rare event. There were some problems with some Samsung phones and a few Teslas made the news but I haven't heard of anything recently. I have a number of lithium-ion battery powered devices in my home and don't worry about it. You are most likely carrying a lithium-ion battery in your back pocket if you have a cellphone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Has anyone seen a lithium battery on fire. As I understand there is no way to extinguish it. Nice to store in your garage. Love to hear from anyone with "facts"
Old 07-30-2019, 08:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Challenger View Post
Considering there are billions of lithium batteries all around every where and there are only a couple fires that make the news every year. (I will agree a fire on an airplane is potentially more serious, than a garage fire.)

On the other hand ask any fire department and you will can hear stories of houses burned down by gasoline fires some where in the country almost every day - yet, it is not unusual for people to store cans of gas in their garage.

We tend to be more aware of what is in the news.
Old 07-31-2019, 05:57 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,108 Times in 1,340 Posts

The sky is falling.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:36 AM

We own a battery golf cart.
Used a friend's gas cart for the weekend.
Here's my pros and cons of each.

Gas - More reliable - if I run out of gas, call a friend bring a jug.
Electric - loss of charge - now what?

Gas - Goes faster by a few MPH.
Battery - Stays right around 20/21. Yes, I know, 20 is the limit in the Villages.

AFTER THOSE 2 OBSERVATIONS ELECTRIC WINS THE REST OF THE DEBATE

Electric - Doesn't smell! We hate driving behind gas carts.
Electric - What? Can't hear you. Couldn't hear our phone music or talk to each other in the gas cart.
If the quiet gas carts are truly quiet then this won't be an issue.

Electric - buy batteries ($900+) every 3 to 4 years.
Gas - buy gas every week or so (that adds up too over the years)
Gas - oil changes and other engine maintenance.

As others have already said too : we go EVERYWHERE in our electric golf cart. Never an issue about loss of power.
When we get home we always plug it in ready for the next adventure out.
Old 07-31-2019, 09:57 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MangiaMangia View Post
We own a battery golf cart.
Used a friend's gas cart for the weekend.
Here's my pros and cons of each.

Gas - More reliable - if I run out of gas, call a friend bring a jug.
Electric - loss of charge - now what?

Gas - Goes faster by a few MPH.
Battery - Stays right around 20/21. Yes, I know, 20 is the limit in the Villages.

AFTER THOSE 2 OBSERVATIONS ELECTRIC WINS THE REST OF THE DEBATE

Electric - Doesn't smell! We hate driving behind gas carts.
Electric - What? Can't hear you. Couldn't hear our phone music or talk to each other in the gas cart.
If the quiet gas carts are truly quiet then this won't be an issue.

Electric - buy batteries ($900+) every 3 to 4 years.
Gas - buy gas every week or so (that adds up too over the years)
Gas - oil changes and other engine maintenance.

As others have already said too : we go EVERYWHERE in our electric golf cart. Never an issue about loss of power.
When we get home we always plug it in ready for the next adventure out.
Thank you, good info and seems to sum it up. The high cost of batteries you mentioned, seems to put off many in the gas camp, but when you look at total cost of ownership over say 10 years, the two are very close - as you mentioned gas, oil and maintenance on the gas add up over time. So, the choice is pay a little constantly or pay a bunch every few years.

The new Lithium batteries have longer range and last longer - up to 8 years, which is "forever" for me, since I expect technology to move on and by then I will want a newer model.

One issue with lead acid batteries that you didn't mention which is a show stopper for me is constant maintenance requirements. All the little things, like water getting low kills the battery, self discharge (if we go on a cruise and don't have something to maintain the battery we can come back to dead batteries that need to be replaced, etc.)

We do not want anything that is going to require maintenance when we are not home, so the choice to us is between lithium and gas.

And I have another 2 months to continue my/our flip-flopping between those two or just keeping our Yaris (second car) which gets about 35 mpg, and an oil change annually. Almost as cheap to drive as a golf cart, and it's air-conditioned.
Closed Thread

Tags
time, issue, cart, mile, minutes

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.