Gas carts - Yamaha or Club?

Closed Thread
Old 06-23-2012, 06:41 AM
Veteran member
Default Gas carts - Yamaha or Club?

I will be closing on my house in three weeks. Then needing my very first (USED) golf cart, I think I could use some experienced HELP. A mechanic told me Club car has the oil filter and that was a better system. I would welcome some ideas, experiences, or just plain old likes and dislikes.
Old 06-23-2012, 09:03 AM
Sage

Too broad a question

What are your needs, what have you found so far.

Budget
Old 06-23-2012, 09:10 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

call carts and clubs will tell u what they have and bring down what you want and give them a check can't beat that very happy
Old 06-23-2012, 10:52 AM
Veteran member

Electric - restricted range & quiet

Gas - noise & you must buy gas once in a while but it'll go for hours and hours and hours and hours

IMHO -
electric - EZGO
gas - Yamaha
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, cigar in one hand, scotch in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"
Old 06-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Veteran member

I think what I was wanting was opinions on the brands because I'm thinking gas for either one.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:13 AM
Sage

Elec can go 40-50+ miles, do you really think U need more?

Add solar

Brand Club Car 100lbs lighter alum frame never rust.

Gas Yamaha, just beware of the noise and your carbon footprint, go in a tunnel when a few R in there.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:35 PM
Sage

We like our '11 Yamaha. If you're considering used and can/want to afford it, try to get the current model Drive model (2007 and newer). LOTS of improvements over prior models and the ride/suspension is more comfortable.

Yamaha uses an engine of their own manufacture - Club Car uses Kawasaki engines (to the best of my knowledge - someone correct me if I'm wrong!). Yamaha does use a 'splash' type of oiling system - it's not going to have a filter. Kawasaki's engine uses a pressurized oiling system and thus has a filter. In a golf cart application, I'd be comfortable with either engine - both are from quality manufacturers with plenty of positive history behind them. With proper maintenance, I don't think you'll wear either one of them out.

Bill
Old 06-23-2012, 01:14 PM
Veteran member

Thanks all. I will start looking around for a used cart shortly.
Old 06-23-2012, 02:07 PM
Default Food for Thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Down Sized View Post
I think what I was wanting was opinions on the brands because I'm thinking gas for either one.
I've gone back and forth on this gas vs electric issue. I'm back to electric now that I know we are purchasing a home in Rio Grande (very central). A friend is buying a villa in St. James and just bought a Yamaha EFI at Carts and Clubs in Ocala. Now to my food for thought:

1. Depending on the village you live in, a gas station could be quite a distance off. To me that would mean keeping a 5-gal gas can in the garage. If you have or will buy a villa, keep in mind most have the washer/dryer in the garage. Not sure I would like gas fumes while in a hot garage doing the wash.

2. If your home is fairly centrally located (using 466 as central), the range on electric carts can get you a round of golf at Bonifay or Lopez and back with range to spare for cruising, squares, dinner and more.

3. If you live or plan to live on one extreme or the other (i.e. Orange Blossom, Chatham, Sanibel, Tamarind Grove) then gas would get my vote hands-down.

Again, these are opinions, just mine.

Finally, as far as which brand, seems the vote goes to Yamaha. The new EFI helps with better mpg and they quieten down a lot after reaching cruising speed. Basing this on sales pitch and test driving one.

Good luck with your decision!
Old 06-23-2012, 03:24 PM
Gold member

I have seen several comments about gas smell with gas carts in the garage. I have a gas cart and have never smelled any gas in the garage. Just my 2 cents.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 06-23-2012, 03:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrheydt View Post
I have seen several comments about gas smell with gas carts in the garage. I have a gas cart and have never smelled any gas in the garage. Just my 2 cents.

John
That's just because you've never had ME in your garage before, John......

Bill
Old 06-23-2012, 04:20 PM
Platinum member

I think it's a bit odd that some electric cart owners seem so passionate about how superior their carts are to gas carts. When someone asks about which kind of cart is better, the electric folks pop up and seem to to want to SELL you a cart, like the guy with the big smile and the polyester suit at the used car lot.

In my eight years in TV I have not heard any real complaints about Club Car or Yamaha gas carts. The owners don't agree that their carts are 'loud' or 'smelly'. They just drive them anywhere and enjoy them. But I do hear lots of griping about having to replace batteries, controllers, etc., frequently in electric carts. These are reinvestments that cost hundreds of dollars. And, many electric owners admit they would not leave home without a tow rope.
Old 06-23-2012, 06:07 PM
Veteran member

Back on topic;
Our 1994 Gas club car has given us flawless service since we acquired it with our first house in 1996. Change the oil and filter, pump the tires, and an occasional drive belt and we been good to go.
The only concern I would have with the new club cars is the low narrow placement of the headlights behind that opaque housing. You would have to see for yourself if the lights work as well as the current high, wide spacing in all the other brands.
Old 06-24-2012, 06:05 AM
Veteran member
Default I think they are both good

I only looked at new. IMHO: The Club has a better oil system. It uses an oil pump and filter. The Yamaha uses a "slinger" for the oil. (Your car has an oil pump, your lawn mower has a "slinger"). I think both carts are quiet compared to the "older" gas cart. I did not smell fumes with either cart. I ended up buying a new Yamaha from a dealer in Kentucky and saved about $2k. The club has a better oil system but did not like the headlights. Seems there are more Yamahas here, maybe better resale. Club seems to have more "after market" add ons available. If you can, wait until you have your garage cleared out and take measurements. A 4 seater can add 12"- 24" to the length. Take your time, test drive and shop around .
Old 06-24-2012, 06:37 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbama View Post
To me that would mean keeping a 5-gal gas can in the garage. !
You only need 1 or 2 gallons to keep on hand in case you get low and don't think you can make it to the gas station. Remember, you get about 40-50 mpg. When you do get gas, dump the gas in the gas can in your car and refill it with fresh gas.

A pessimist is an optimist with experience.

"In my many years I have come to a conclusion that one useless man is a shame, two is a law firm and three or more is a congress." - John Adams
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.