Torque wrench for golf cart batteries

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2018, 12:40 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Torque wrench for golf cart batteries

Mrs Fox has had two battery-post melt-downs in the past six months and the man from BatteryBoys said this is usually due to the cables being bolted on too loosely or too tightly.

Since it is my responsibility to ensure that Mrs Fox doesn't go up in flames a third time, where can I get an adjustable torque-wrench (I want one with a ratchet that slips, not have to look at a gauge) and what torque should I set it too?

Thank you
Old 03-25-2018, 01:40 PM

I don't think that battery terminal connections that are 'too tight' would cause trouble. Usually burns and fire are from a too loose connection that is arching, or a dirty connection that has a lot of electrical resistance.

If you torque down the nuts too much, I would worry about breaking off the terminals. Perhaps that is what happened and the posts broke off some below the level of the case.

I think you really are only supposed to use a very small amount of torque to tighten them down, like 5 or 10 foot pounds. The clamps are mostly real soft lead and bend easily. Using a small wrench that is 6 inches long requires 'medium' pressure to get there. Nothing dramatic.

I am not sure that you can get the head of any torque wrench down close enough to the nut to actually use one.

I would just make sure that they are clean and covered with anti-corrosion stuff. Then double check the nut torque every couple of months with a wrench.
Old 03-25-2018, 01:48 PM

Having said all of that and not really answering your question, here is an interesting option:

Jonard TWAF-71620 Full Head Torque Wrench, 7/16" Drive, 20 inch/lbs Torque, 6-1/2" Length: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific
Old 03-25-2018, 02:52 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,125 Times in 2,240 Posts

Harbor Freight has adjustable 1/4 inch torque wrenches, which should be the torque range you need.
Old 03-26-2018, 09:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Mrs Fox has had two battery-post melt-downs in the past six months and the man from BatteryBoys said this is usually due to the cables being bolted on too loosely or too tightly. Since it is my responsibility to ensure that Mrs Fox doesn't go up in flames a third time, where can I get an adjustable torque-wrench (I want one with a ratchet that slips, not have to look at a gauge) and what torque should I set it too?
Thank you, PD and VT

According to Trojan, my batteries have Type 1 (ELPT) terminals which should be tightened to 95-105 in/lbs (11-12 Nm).

BatteryBoys advise: "monthly, when you check your water levels, try and wiggle the terminal (not the wire) and see if it moves. We use lock washers which really helps to minimize cables coming loose, but if it moves at all then just snug it down. If you tighten the nut too much you can pull it right out of the lead terminal."
Old 03-26-2018, 09:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,125 Times in 2,240 Posts

Artic Fox, I have 2 torque wrenches 1/2 inch and 3/8 inch and neither one of these go that low in torque settings, the 1/4 inch should be in that range. I thnk the harbor freight ones are around $10, you may also find these at Lowes and Ace hardware, as well as Home depot.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:05 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Artic Fox, I have 2 torque wrenches 1/2 inch and 3/8 inch and neither one of these go that low in torque settings, the 1/4 inch should be in that range. I thnk the harbor freight ones are around $10, you may also find these at Lowes and Ace hardware, as well as Home depot.
Thank you, VT

I have ordered a 1/4" through ebay which covers that range
Old 04-06-2018, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Torque wrenchs are not accurate in lower 20 percent of the torque range unless they are specifically calibrated in that range. This why VT is recommending 1/4" in pounds torque wrench. Torque wrenches are calibrated to plus or mini 1. So this means inch pound torque wrench is probably 12 times more accurate that foot pounds torque wrench. I was aircraft engine mechanic for 40 years, never used foot pounds torque wrench. Had some inch pounds torque wrench up 4000 in pounds, anything over that used multiplier.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:44 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,345 Times in 733 Posts

For reference, this meets those specifications and no ordering required, in Stock at the local Harbor Freight 1/4 in. Drive Click Type Torque Wrench
Old 04-06-2018, 12:15 PM
Default You report it has happened twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arctic Fox View Post
Mrs Fox has had two battery-post melt-downs in the past six months and the man from BatteryBoys said this is usually due to the cables being bolted on too loosely or too tightly.

Since it is my responsibility to ensure that Mrs Fox doesn't go up in flames a third time, where can I get an adjustable torque-wrench (I want one with a ratchet that slips, not have to look at a gauge) and what torque should I set it too?

Thank you
Clearly something is wrong. The obvious-are your batteries secure? Do they match? Are the connections clean?
Your wife's driving?

As to torquing the connectors. CONFESSIONS- I've had cars, boats, and now a golf cart. Some of the items listed were OLD. I've never heard of anyone torquing the battery connectors. You can over-tighten them to the point of stripping the screw. Wrench size-a 1/4 inch socket wrench-a six inch combination wrench. SNUG IS THE WORD. If, you are going to use a 3/8 socket set, you want to hold it close to the head to lessen your strength.

TOOLS FROM HARBOR FREIGHT? They are CHEEP for a reason. A torque wrench from Harbor Freight? You are buying what SHOULD BE a precision tool that will be accurate when new and in the future.
Old 04-06-2018, 12:27 PM

I was told during an annual inspection to check the battery terminals when checking the water or every month. Sure enough I usually get a 1/4 to 1/2 turn on each cable terminal each time. More so on my club car ds than my ezgo.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:41 PM

Once every 6 months is fine on tightening the battery nuts. Be very careful on Trojan batteries. If you tighten too much you are actually creating the nut to become loose.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:32 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Thank you for all of your input.

I now have my 1/4" torque wrench (eBay - $21.99) and set of drivers (Lowes - $21.39) and have run in the new batteries per BatteryBoys' instructions.

Will check water levels today before putting fully-charged batteries on batteryMinder for their holiday while we are away, then check water levels and put the torque-wrench to work on our return.

Adios Amigos
Foxy
Old 04-07-2018, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,883 Times in 2,429 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruth View Post
Clearly something is wrong. The obvious-are your batteries secure? Do they match? Are the connections clean?
Your wife's driving?
Most electric golf cart batteries and secured by bolt and nut clamping the cables together. I find it would be very hard to blantanly over tighten them, even hard to smash the lead post, but will will crack if you jump up and down on the wrenches.

As to torquing the connectors. CONFESSIONS- I've had cars, boats, and now a golf cart. Some of the items listed were OLD. I've never heard of anyone torquing the battery connectors. You can over-tighten them to the point of stripping the screw. Wrench size-a 1/4 inch socket wrench-a six inch combination wrench. SNUG IS THE WORD. If, you are going to use a 3/8 socket set, you want to hold it close to the head to lessen your strength.

TOOLS FROM HARBOR FREIGHT? They are CHEEP for a reason. A torque wrench from Harbor Freight? You are buying what SHOULD BE a precision tool that will be accurate when new and in the future.
That's fine and dandy for someone that know how tight snug is or how tight something is with different types of metals. Anybody with some mechanical ability should be able to figure out what snug or tight is bases on the metals and assembled parts. Naturally lead is soft metal and batteries are 150 bucks or more a piece. For those with little or no mechanical ability that don't want to damage what they are fastening torque wrench would be good option, but you still have to know the torque or be able to find it?

I don't have problem with most harbor freight tools. Now if I was working on my airplane then I would probably get high dollar snap on, but if I was certified to work on my airplane then my torque wrenches would also have to be certified every 6 months or less by certified laboratories.
Closed Thread

Tags
fox, torque, mrs, flames, time

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.