Trail-Tech Striker gauge doohickie help needed!

Closed Thread
Old 05-26-2021, 10:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts
Default Trail-Tech Striker gauge doohickie help needed!

I'm willing to pay someone, but no one will touch it. Here's the situation:
My cart came with this thing on top of the steering wheel. It looks pretty cool - has a backlight, clock, odometer, speedometer, gas gauge, ride time, voltage max/mi, engine temp, oil reminder, low battery, all kinds of stuff.

What I actually need from the thing is:

correct speedometer, ability to change the time twice a year, and the backlight to work consistently. Gas and oil gauges would be useful too.

Currently, none of the three things I really need are working correctly.

Also my speed is now topped out at 19.1 on a straight-away (going around a corner sometimes can speed it up to almost 20). I know 19.8 isn't much higher but I get passed a lot. Not looking to go 25, but being able to go the max I'm allowed would be nice.

Willie's and Southern won't touch any of this. The Villages Golf Cars overcharges for everything, so I'm assuming they'll overcharge me for this too.

Anyone have a guy who can do this stuff for me? I'd do it myself but me and electric wires don't like each other.
Old 05-26-2021, 12:37 PM

Suspect this user manual will go a long way toward helping you get it set up properly. I got one of those devices as well and need to reset some of the functions but haven't yet. The user manual does tell you how to do it, I've just been too lazy.
TRAIL TECH STRIKER USER MANUAL Pdf Download | ManualsLib
Old 05-26-2021, 03:20 PM
Veteran member

There are quite a few videos for the trail tech striker on youtube.com. Just do a search. I have used several in the past to help me with my striker on my golf cart.
Old 05-26-2021, 03:31 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,996 Times in 2,197 Posts

The backlight sounds like a wiring problem and i can help with that let me know.
Old 05-26-2021, 04:13 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

Well I went to the Villages Golf Cars for a freebie lesson on how to set the clock. Turns out I was doing it right, I just wasn't holding the buttons down long enough.

The backlight is definitely the wiring, but this thing can also connect to the oil sensor, the gas sensor, and a bunch of other things. I might as well have it work correctly rather than just fix the wires for the backlight only. And the speedometer needs to be recalibrated since it's saying I'm going 2mph slower than I really am.

Meanwhile, I knew I needed a new battery (it's a 2016 club car with over 400 miles on it, and the only service it's seen in two years has been a single oil change and spark plug replacement).

So - I'm gonna suck it up and get the whole shebang. It's gonna set me back $270 for belts, lube, checking all the cables attached to everything they attach to, a new battery and cables that connect to the terminals (they're totally corroded), who the heck knows what else, a whole list of things I probably can live without. Plus setting up my Striker to do everything it's capable of doing, correctly, and fixing the governor to go up to 20mph instead of only 19.1mph.
Old 05-26-2021, 08:16 PM
Gold member

Battery cables likely just need to be cleaned not replaced.
Old 05-27-2021, 04:40 AM

Yes, get it done correctly.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:12 AM
Veteran member

You will still be passed most new carts will run 25 mph and some modified to run over 30
Old 05-27-2021, 05:26 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
I'm willing to pay someone, but no one will touch it. Here's the situation:
My cart came with this thing on top of the steering wheel. It looks pretty cool - has a backlight, clock, odometer, speedometer, gas gauge, ride time, voltage max/mi, engine temp, oil reminder, low battery, all kinds of stuff.

What I actually need from the thing is:

correct speedometer, ability to change the time twice a year, and the backlight to work consistently. Gas and oil gauges would be useful too.

Currently, none of the three things I really need are working correctly.

Also my speed is now topped out at 19.1 on a straight-away (going around a corner sometimes can speed it up to almost 20). I know 19.8 isn't much higher but I get passed a lot. Not looking to go 25, but being able to go the max I'm allowed would be nice.

Willie's and Southern won't touch any of this. The Villages Golf Cars overcharges for everything, so I'm assuming they'll overcharge me for this too.

Anyone have a guy who can do this stuff for me? I'd do it myself but me and electric wires don't like each other.
Just trade it in and let someone else worry about it.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:28 AM

Use the manual for operating instructions. Some functions may not be hooked up with the unit. The speed your cart goes is controlled by your governor, not that speedometer.
Old 05-27-2021, 05:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrf6969 View Post
Stop whining.
That seems inappropriate, it OP was asking for recommendations, not “whinying”. America’s Friendliness Hometown may need an attitude adjustment.
Old 05-27-2021, 07:47 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,874 Times in 948 Posts

I recall reading years ago that it is not stress that kills people it is stress that you can do nothing about. Computers are killing all of us. You call someone, a computer answers
it rapidly shoots of 47 different options. Shame on you HUMAN you didn't get if it was option 3 or 38 that fit your issue. You can suffer hearing all 47 again or pick one. OOPS
wrong one the computer hangs up on you.

I dealt with 4-5 of these last week. Aside, the computer just to get even if you swear will
politely say it does not understand and then it will hang up on you.

Repair tool for these devices is a 10 pound sledge.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Well I went to the Villages Golf Cars for a freebie lesson on how to set the clock. Turns out I was doing it right, I just wasn't holding the buttons down long enough.

The backlight is definitely the wiring, but this thing can also connect to the oil sensor, the gas sensor, and a bunch of other things. I might as well have it work correctly rather than just fix the wires for the backlight only. And the speedometer needs to be recalibrated since it's saying I'm going 2mph slower than I really am.

Meanwhile, I knew I needed a new battery (it's a 2016 club car with over 400 miles on it, and the only service it's seen in two years has been a single oil change and spark plug replacement).

So - I'm gonna suck it up and get the whole shebang. It's gonna set me back $270 for belts, lube, checking all the cables attached to everything they attach to, a new battery and cables that connect to the terminals (they're totally corroded), who the heck knows what else, a whole list of things I probably can live without. Plus setting up my Striker to do everything it's capable of doing, correctly, and fixing the governor to go up to 20mph instead of only 19.1mph.
$270 sounds like a bargain for getting everything repaired and corrected, and includes the battery! Just go for it.
Old 05-27-2021, 08:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAVES View Post
I recall reading years ago that it is not stress that kills people it is stress that you can do nothing about. Computers are killing all of us. You call someone, a computer answers
it rapidly shoots of 47 different options. Shame on you HUMAN you didn't get if it was option 3 or 38 that fit your issue. You can suffer hearing all 47 again or pick one. OOPS
wrong one the computer hangs up on you.

I dealt with 4-5 of these last week. Aside, the computer just to get even if you swear will
politely say it does not understand and then it will hang up on you.

Repair tool for these devices is a 10 pound sledge.
We may not have control over many things, but We all have the choice of not letting unwelcome situations stress us out. It’s all in the mind and we can control how we choose to perceive a situation
Old 05-27-2021, 09:55 AM

I went to The Villages Golf Cart twice with problems that were solved in minutes at no charge. When I needed new batteries with a dispensing system they installed it for a fair price.
Closed Thread

Tags
backlight, speedometer, gas, time, oil

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.