Trail-Tech Striker gauge doohickie help needed!

Closed Thread
Old 05-27-2021, 10:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,463 Times in 3,089 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoSno View Post
Battery cables likely just need to be cleaned not replaced.
There are other issues with the cart that "could" be left alone, but it hasn't had a service visit since I bought it 2 years ago, and as far as I know it wasn't serviced the year before that either. It's a 2016. So it's definitely overdue for a servicing. And at over 400 miles, it's just about due for a new battery anyway. "Just about due" combined with corrosion = might as well.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:11 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
You will still be passed most new carts will run 25 mph and some modified to run over 30
Yes I'm aware of that. But at least I'll know that I'm capable of going as fast as I'm allowed to go.
Old 05-27-2021, 10:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by noslices1 View Post
Just trade it in and let someone else worry about it.
Hey that's a great idea. I'll give you mine, that needs work, and you find me one that doesn't need work, and we'll just swap them out.

Oh wait - it doesn't work that way does it? I'd have to GIVE YOU MORE MONEY wouldn't I?

Or - I could just get the one I have, the one I like, the one I selected, properly working, and pay a modest amount to do so.
Old 05-27-2021, 12:25 PM

Probably needs a battery. Look on the back side facing the windshield. There should be a round screw out cover that is where the battery is located. Change the battery and read the manual.
Old 05-27-2021, 04:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobnyce View Post
Probably needs a battery. Look on the back side facing the windshield. There should be a round screw out cover that is where the battery is located. Change the battery and read the manual.
I pay other people to do those kinds of things for me. I can rebuild a computer, and I can change the oil on a Subaru station wagon. That's the extent of my mechanic capabilities or interests.

Also, the battery is located under the seat, on the passenger side. I don't need to remove a cover to see it, it's right there with the corroded terminal and cable. I know I need a new battery already.
Old 05-28-2021, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
There are other issues with the cart that "could" be left alone, but it hasn't had a service visit since I bought it 2 years ago, and as far as I know it wasn't serviced the year before that either. It's a 2016. So it's definitely overdue for a servicing. And at over 400 miles, it's just about due for a new battery anyway. "Just about due" combined with corrosion = might as well.
It's your money & your peace of mind, so I'm not trying to talk you out of anything. I just want to say that 400 miles is very minor usage in 2 or 3 years and that the mileage has nothing (directly) to do with battery life. It's even possible that the battery may be undercharged if it sits for days/weeks or is only driven for short, infrequent trips. Up north, I had started keeping seasonal equipment on 'smart' maintenance chargers after a few quit accepting a charge following several months of non-use, when they were only a year or 2 old.

Corrosion on the cables is good reason to change them while you have it in for maintenance and you may also want the tech use a spray or 'battery terminal protectors' to prevent corrosion. I've had good luck with the latter especially.
Old 05-28-2021, 12:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by roscoguy View Post
It's your money & your peace of mind, so I'm not trying to talk you out of anything. I just want to say that 400 miles is very minor usage in 2 or 3 years and that the mileage has nothing (directly) to do with battery life. It's even possible that the battery may be undercharged if it sits for days/weeks or is only driven for short, infrequent trips. Up north, I had started keeping seasonal equipment on 'smart' maintenance chargers after a few quit accepting a charge following several months of non-use, when they were only a year or 2 old.

Corrosion on the cables is good reason to change them while you have it in for maintenance and you may also want the tech use a spray or 'battery terminal protectors' to prevent corrosion. I've had good luck with the latter especially.
The seal is broken. And it's the original battery, installed in 2016. I use it almost every day, but I only bought it 2 years ago.

Also as I said - there are other issues. When I step on the gas, sometimes it hesitates to engage and actually start going. This can be very dangerous if you're taking a left at a busy intersection, or that left that gets you from Morse Blvd. to the side-path on the way from Spanish Springs to Sumter Landing. The last thing you want is to have traffic backed up behind you in the left lane of that road, because your golf car has chosen that moment to become stubborn.

It'll be peace of mind, plus one less thing I'll need to do in the next couple of years. After that, hopefully, I'll be in a position to afford a new golf cart, and I'll have it the color, type, features that I get to choose personally.
Old 05-28-2021, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
The seal is broken. And it's the original battery, installed in 2016. I use it almost every day, but I only bought it 2 years ago.

Also as I said - there are other issues. When I step on the gas, sometimes it hesitates to engage and actually start going. This can be very dangerous if you're taking a left at a busy intersection, or that left that gets you from Morse Blvd. to the side-path on the way from Spanish Springs to Sumter Landing. The last thing you want is to have traffic backed up behind you in the left lane of that road, because your golf car has chosen that moment to become stubborn.

It'll be peace of mind, plus one less thing I'll need to do in the next couple of years. After that, hopefully, I'll be in a position to afford a new golf cart, and I'll have it the color, type, features that I get to choose personally.
I say go for it. For all the work you're getting done, that's not that much money. (As long as they don't try to up-sell you.) Also, 5 years of life for a battery isn't bad at all, although a very good one should last several years longer. On the other hand, if you aren't planning to keep the cart till the wheels fall off, you don't really need to pay for high-end.

Hope that all works out well!
Closed Thread

Tags
backlight, speedometer, gas, time, oil

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.