How often do you fill your gas golf cart?

Closed Thread
Old 03-05-2011, 04:36 PM
Sage
Default How often do you fill your gas golf cart?

I am anticipating renting a home in TV for a week this summer. In talking to an owner who is renting out his TV home for the summer, he stated that he only fills his gas golf cart about once per month. I didn't ask him how much he drives his cart per day so I don't know if one fill up per month is average or not. To the gas golf cart owners: how often do you have to fill your cart each month?
Old 03-05-2011, 04:42 PM
nkrifats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
I am anticipating renting a home in TV for a week this summer. In talking to an owner who is renting out his TV home for the summer, he stated that he only fills his gas golf cart about once per month. I didn't ask him how much he drives his cart per day so I don't know if one fill up per month is average or not. To the gas golf cart owners: how often do you have to fill your cart each month?
I usually fill up weekly. It is not empty by any means. I can tell you there is no way with the use of my cart that I could go a month.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:47 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Fill up

I use my cart alot,only time we use the car is where the cart can't go. I fill up every other week usually average about 4 gals at a time.
Old 03-05-2011, 04:49 PM
Sage

Schaumburger - It'll be dependent on how much territory you cover in the cart. Check with the owner to see if he/she knows how many gallons the gas tank holds. Subtract a gallon (for a safety buffer so you don't run the tank dry) then multiply the result by around 40 mpg. That will be how far mileage-wise you can travel on a tank. More than likely, though, the cart won't have an odometer on it. But you can make some rough guestimates on driving distances you're covering and come up with an approximate figure.

A couple of other ways to keep an eye on the fuel level:
- The tank might have a float gauge/pointer in the gas cap.
- Take a look-see down inside the tank to see if you can see how much fuel is in there.
- The tanks are generally made of an opaque plastic. You can look at one of the sides of the tank and see the fuel level through the plastic.

In reality, unless you're going to absolutely drive the wheels off the thing every day for an entire week, chances are a full tank of fuel will do you for your complete stay.

Bill
Old 03-05-2011, 04:54 PM
Eternal Member

I fill up about every two weeks. I purchased a gas cap/level indicator for my 2009 Yamaha and it works great. Just lift the seat and check the the gas cap level indicator. Cost was~$15 at the Yamaha Golf Carts Store.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Gold member

We had speedometers installed on both of our gas carts and use the tripometer feature to decide when to refill the gas. Usually when we get 100 miles on them we start to plan on when we will fill the tanks and they will take 2 - 3 gals. Since we use my cart more it may be 10 - 14 days between fills while my wife's cart may be 3 weeks or longer before filling. As previously noted it all depending on usage.
Old 03-06-2011, 04:18 PM
Sage

Thanks everyone for the info. for this golf cart newbie. I am waiting for the owner to
e-mail the lease to me, but it looks like I will be renting a patio villa in the Village of Chatham from July 7-14. Whoo Hoo!
Old 03-06-2011, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaumburger View Post
I fill up once per month. I golf twice a week, as does my wife, and we drive the cart to one of the squares two or three times a month.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,480 Times in 713 Posts

The Villages Golf Carts recommends using premium gas and adding 1/2 oz. of Sta-Bil per fill up. I fill up about every three weeks. I use the electric cart for golf.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:17 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by schotzyb View Post
I fill up about every two weeks. I purchased a gas cap/level indicator for my 2009 Yamaha and it works great. Just lift the seat and check the the gas cap level indicator. Cost was~$15 at the Yamaha Golf Carts Store.
When I bought my Yamaha gas cart I asked the salesman if I should buy a gas cap gauge. He said he had never seen the need for one. Then showed me that the gas tank is translucent. You can easily see the fuel level just by looking at the tank.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:45 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedog103 View Post
When I bought my Yamaha gas cart I asked the salesman if I should buy a gas cap gauge. He said he had never seen the need for one. Then showed me that the gas tank is translucent. You can easily see the fuel level just by looking at the tank.

I guess it is just a matter of personel preference; I like the idea of just raising the seat and looking at the indicator for the level. To each their own.

Do not follow where the path may lead.
Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail.
Old 03-06-2011, 10:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by schotzyb View Post
I guess it is just a matter of personel preference; I like the idea of just raising the seat and looking at the indicator for the level. To each their own.
I'm a big enough of a knucklehead that I had a gas gauge installed on the dash of our golf cart. The way my luck runs, I'd forget to check the tank or the gas cap gauge.....on the day I'd run out of fuel!

Bill
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.