Used vs new yamaha carts?

Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2021, 09:30 AM
Default Golf Cart maintenance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brwne View Post
We bought our home in September, 2019 and became residents March, 2020. I started watching the ToTV Classified during that period and, in April, saw a 2011 four seat Yamaha, in good shape, for $5,400. Test drove it and bought it for $5,000. My logic was that you could repair a whole lot of issues for the $8,000 cost spread compared to refurbished newer models. We did add seat belts, two shelves, LED headlights, a light bar and, last of all, upgraded seats with armrests. That puts us all-in at $7,000 - $6,000 less than Refurb. Willie's does a great job with maintenance and I've only had to have them repair the throttle activator switch.

Working well for us, so far...
Please tell me more about "Willie's". Where is he located? What is his phone number? Does he come to your house if necessary?
Old 08-10-2021, 03:59 PM

Willie's Golf Cart Service and Repair

Always be humble and kind.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:19 PM
Platinum member
Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by txfan View Post
A mechanic told me the 2015/16 Yamaha model years were the best ever built. I had a ‘16 and it had no issues.
I have a 2015 Yamaha I bought new from TV golf cart store in Brownwood. It has had 4 starters on it. A solenoid. Two clutches. About 6 belts. On my third battery. Only thing covered by warranty was one clutch. WOW, I'm certainly glad I got one of the best ever built.
My neighbor across the street had a new 2016 from TV golf cart store in Brownwood. First week he owned it the motor locked up and they had to put a new motor in it.
Old 08-10-2021, 04:58 PM

New electric car.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:04 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 3,224 Times in 929 Posts

About 5 months ago we bought a 2017 Yamaha from the Villages Golf Cars. The previous owner had done a lot of upgrades to it, seat belts, carbon fiber looking dash with locking glove box, overhead shelf and upgrade seat. TV Golf Cars replaced the battery, drive belt, air filter and spark plug. Wasn't any way we were going to pay the outrageous price for a new cart. A neighbor bought a 2010 Yamaha cart a couple months before us and has had no problems with it. Used is not always bad, not even close.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack.hunter00@yahoo.com View Post
I bought remanufactured, 2013. It has been an excellent cart. It is actually a 2010 model. I saved 2500 vs new.
Village Discount Golf Carts on 466 and 441.
When I need another one that is where I will go.
I picked out all accessories, color, etc. Took 3 - 4 weeks.
I brought used 2012 1/2, I plan on keeping it forever. With 14K it’s runs and looks like new. But, I was mechanic for 42 years.
Old 08-10-2021, 09:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
About 5 months ago we bought a 2017 Yamaha from the Villages Golf Cars. The previous owner had done a lot of upgrades to it, seat belts, carbon fiber looking dash with locking glove box, overhead shelf and upgrade seat. TV Golf Cars replaced the battery, drive belt, air filter and spark plug. Wasn't any way we were going to pay the outrageous price for a new cart. A neighbor bought a 2010 Yamaha cart a couple months before us and has had no problems with it. Used is not always bad, not even close.
Agree, my used golf cart was 3 years old listed for 13,995. I paid 7500. From private seller. VGC would wanted 10K plus for it. Then, sold my club car for 2500. Now way I was going to give 14K plus for golf cart.
Old 08-12-2021, 07:57 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobro44 View Post
We're newbies and -- with supply and demand spiking new cart prices -- we're thinking instead of a used gas Yamaha cart with the EFI and Quiet Tech features.
Is there any clear definition of what is a "re-manufactured" or "re-conditioned" cart? Does Yamaha have anything to say about these?
One off-campus site claims they're expecting Yamaha to ship them "hundreds" of almost-new models just demo-ed at "a big PGA tournament" somewhere. (Nothing but a long hold calling Yamaha customer service.)
BUT, they add, there's no serial number, nor is there a factory-installed meter or gauge to measure hours on the cart, where others say BS.
Advice welcomed and thank you very much.
My house came with a used 2009 Yamaha. I added seat belts, some foam padding under the seat covers, and rewired the headlights onto their own fused circuit. Other than that, yearly oil changes are all the maintenance it has needed. The new ones are quieter, and the suspension a little more forgiving on some of those bone breaker curbs at street crossings, but if that becomes an issue soundproofing and shock absorbers are cheap on Amazon.
Old 08-15-2021, 08:41 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,203 Times in 569 Posts

When we were shopping around Village Discount Carts was only about $1000 cheaper for a used cart compared to a new. That said we didn't go to Webster to get prices. For the second cart a trip to Country Village power will be in the mix.
Old 09-04-2021, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyT View Post
I just ordered a new 2022 Yamaha EFI cart from the Villagers golf cart store. I also questioned new vs used. Happens that any 2017 & up cart with Quiet Tech EFI will run you anywhere from $8500 - $11,000 or more depending on additional equipment I also looked at refurbs from our Village store. They are asking for $11,500 for a 2020 refurb & $13,000 for a new 2022 with the same equipment. These prices are for what the Villagers store sells as Lifestyle equipped, both identical. My feeling was that the refurbs are not coming with a new or rebuilt motor or drivetrain, they make them pretty and while they do offer a 3 year warranty they're betting on you not having an issue before the warranty runs out. Therefore, with the difference being $1500 I went new. Lead time for delivery is sometime in January but they will supply me with a loaner until me cart arrives.
I was quoted $19,600 Villages Carts SS out the door for a 4seater with self canceling signals, and tunnel lights, locking dash, sporster seats. Pretty basic, very pricey. I’m going refurbished with warranty for $12-13k. Just my opinion…🥃
Old 09-05-2021, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
Agree.

The reconditioned carts are pigs with a dress.............they do no recondition the mechanics of the cart.
Sorry, I have to disagree with you. I bought a 2010 (carb version back then) in 2015 as a second cart (for me, wife got the new one) from Village Discount Golf Carts. It has never failed me and cost a third of what the new ones cost. I did not tweak the speed limiter, so I max out at 21-ish mph, and I think it will run forever - or as long as I will have any need for it. I've had a yearly oil change/service, replaced the battery one time, and every couple years the rubber hose connecting the tail pipe to the muffler cracks and needs replacing. That's it.
Bottom line - I would not be afraid of getting a used cart, but like a used car, you do have to look it over closely.
Old 09-05-2021, 06:58 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,105 Times in 1,338 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebama View Post
I was quoted $19,600 Villages Carts SS out the door for a 4seater with self canceling signals, and tunnel lights, locking dash, sporster seats. Pretty basic, very pricey. I’m going refurbished with warranty for $12-13k. Just my opinion…🥃
Wow. Supply and demand. The dollar just isn't worth what it was last year.
Old 09-05-2021, 07:31 AM
Platinum member

[QUOTE=Bobro44;1986350]We're newbies and -- with supply and demand spiking new cart prices -- we're thinking instead of a used gas Yamaha cart with the EFI and Quiet Tech features.
Is there any clear definition of what is a "re-manufactured" or "re-conditioned" cart? Does Yamaha have anything to say about these?
One off-campus site claims they're expecting Yamaha to ship them "hundreds" of almost-new models just demo-ed at "a big PGA tournament" somewhere. (Nothing but a long hold calling Yamaha customer service.)
BUT, they add, there's no serial number, nor is there a factory-installed meter or gauge to measure hours on the cart, where others say BS.
Advice welcomed and thank you very much.

9 months ago, I had same ? and was debating gas vs electric also. Before moving here salesperson told me that people bought gas due to range limitations. After living here for 9 months I realized that I would never drive the cart long enough to run out of battery juice. I did purchase a brand new 2021 Quietech for $12,500 inlcuding taxes and most of the Villages type equipment from dealer in Webster(doubt he is still selling at this price) last September for other reasons.

Considered used/reconditioned carts. At that time they were +/- $1000 less. Quietech is the way to go with gas. I hear more tire noise than engine/exhaust noise. For me buying new was a no-brainer. I opted to not go with a Yamaha due to height. I am 6 ft 4 inches tall and their roofs are higher. With curtains I litterally had to duck to get into other carts such as EZ GO and Club Car. Not fun if you use cart primarily to play golf.

When looking at carts, and if you are a golfer, pay close attention to your seats. My cart does have very good aftermarket seats, but they have very little side support/bolstering. On a side hill I tend to slide sideways on the seat. The seats do have an arm rest that negates this problem but this is not good for golfers(getting in and out a lot).

Good luck. Nothing is simple today.
Old 09-05-2021, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,900 Times in 914 Posts

Quote:
My feeling was that the refurbs are not coming with a new or rebuilt motor or drivetrain, . . .
Wow! there must be a some serious 4 wheeling in TV to need a new or rebuilt motor or drivetrain after two years, or there is some super secret mechanic performing all these repairs for people whose motor and drive trains wear out after two years. .

non mechanic guy
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, yamaha, big, models, add

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.