Used vs new yamaha carts?

Closed Thread
Old 08-10-2021, 06:32 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
go to Villages Discount Golf Carts on 466 next to Birdies golf. They sell golf carts used in golf tournaments by ambassadors all over the country.
"Driven by a little old lady to church on Sundays."

Old 08-10-2021, 06:39 AM

Why not check with your realtor? They have access to who's selling what.
Old 08-10-2021, 06:54 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobro44 View Post
We're newbies and -- with supply and demand spiking new cart prices -- we're thinking instead of a used gas Yamaha cart with the EFI and Quiet Tech features.
Is there any clear definition of what is a "re-manufactured" or "re-conditioned" cart? Does Yamaha have anything to say about these?
One off-campus site claims they're expecting Yamaha to ship them "hundreds" of almost-new models just demo-ed at "a big PGA tournament" somewhere. (Nothing but a long hold calling Yamaha customer service.)
BUT, they add, there's no serial number, nor is there a factory-installed meter or gauge to measure hours on the cart, where others say BS.
Advice welcomed and thank you very much.
When we first moved here 15 years ago we bought a used cart from a Villager whose mother had used it and passed away. Still driving that gas Yamaha. DH has a new gas cart. He keeps mine serviced and gassed and I am one happy camper.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	000_9895.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	90389  
Old 08-10-2021, 07:12 AM

Quote:
We're newbies and -- with supply and demand spiking new cart prices -- we're thinking instead of a used gas Yamaha cart with the EFI and Quiet Tech features.
Is there any clear definition of what is a "re-manufactured" or "re-conditioned" cart? Does Yamaha have anything to say about these?
One off-campus site claims they're expecting Yamaha to ship them "hundreds" of almost-new models just demo-ed at "a big PGA tournament" somewhere. (Nothing but a long hold calling Yamaha customer service.)
BUT, they add, there's no serial number, nor is there a factory-installed meter or gauge to measure hours on the cart, where others say BS.
As a long time motorcycle and off road rider, and current UTV off-road rider I wouldn't hesitate to buy a used Yamaha cart. In fact I had one myself.

Just remember that whenever you're buying anything used spend more time learning about the owner than the vehicle. The story for selling and for caring for the machine are more important than some other details. If it all falls in line I would buy a gas, fuel injected, no problems with either one. Don't listen to all the hunk and bunk about carburetors and gas issues.

They're easy to maintain as long as you're proactive it's simple. Good luck!
Old 08-10-2021, 07:36 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

Bought reconditioned/re-manufactured 2014 Yamaha fuel injected in 2016 from Village Discount Golf Cart.
Extensive choices of options.
5 year guarantee.
Excellent after service follow up.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:38 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve3860 View Post
Do you really think the PGA would ever put a Pro Golfer out on a cart other then a new one?
Pro golfers playing in PGA Tour events walk the course...they do not use carts.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:47 AM

Quote:
In my humble opinion I recommend getting a new cart from the villages golf cart store in Brownwood. They will give you a loaner for free until your cart is ready. Don’t by used or reconditioned. You may pay a little more on the base price but they only charge for the parts for all the extras. So if your adding extras your cart will be the same cost or cheaper. I recommend you ask for Ron Morse (no relation to the Morse family). The guy spends a lot of time with you and has a keen eye for design. And truly a nice guy with no pressure added.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:49 AM
Default I agree. Village Discount.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
go to Villages Discount Golf Carts on 466 next to Birdies golf. They sell golf carts used in golf tournaments by ambassadors all over the country. Kind of like demos. 2020 2021 carts available. delivered to your house, serviced at your house. MUCH cheaper than the villages golf cart stores. You can have gas gauge installed and seat belts, and any other gadget you may want. All have serial numbers and you couldn't tell it was not brand new
I bought a 2018 Yamaha, completely reconditioned. They set it up the way you would want it. Nice seats and weather and bug protection.
Old 08-10-2021, 07:53 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,076 Times in 432 Posts

Quote:
If you want EFI and the newer QuieTech 2 features, you're talking about a 2017 or newer model. Fuel gauges, hour meters and speedometers are not standard equipment from the factory. Some dealers add them, some do not.

Golf Cars are a hot commodity right now. Used carts in good condition and a fair price sell very quickly. As of last Saturday, Villages Golf Cars had exactly ZERO used carts in stock. An order placed with them now for either a reconditioned or brand new cart has a delivery date in mid-January. That compares to 6-7 weeks for a new cart ordered last year. If you find a used cart that strikes your fancy, act quick...chances are it won't be around long.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:03 AM
Veteran member

There are other golf carts , EZGo , Club Car etc. I don’t see the advantage Yamaha
Old 08-10-2021, 08:10 AM
Bella6368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papa_lecki View Post
If you buy from the villages golf cars, you get a loaner for free until your car is ready
Yes, but I'm sure the cost of that rental is figured into their price, don't you think?
Old 08-10-2021, 08:15 AM

Just make sure you research what you are getting. We moved to The Villages in mid June. I knew I wanted Gas powered and narrowed that down to a Yamaha Quietech before we even moved here because of my research. I also wanted the Yamaha 'Y' suspension system to smooth out the ride. Sticker Shock on the new Yamaha models stunned me to say the least. I migrated over to the used row and the price was still more than I expected to pay for new. Wife ignored me, sat down with the salesmen, and wrote out a check for a new one she thought had a 'pretty' paint scheme. We love our new Yamaha, but I break out in sweats when I think about what we paid for it. lol
Old 08-10-2021, 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bella6368 View Post
Yes, but I'm sure the cost of that rental is figured into their price, don't you think?
I guarantee that it is "included". The Villages sell their new golf cars for over $1,000 more than the other licensed Yamaha dealers in the area. Check it out; we did.
Old 08-10-2021, 08:21 AM
Default New VS Reconditioned Golf Cart

Quote:
I just ordered a new 2022 Yamaha EFI cart from the Villagers golf cart store. I also questioned new vs used. Happens that any 2017 & up cart with Quiet Tech EFI will run you anywhere from $8500 - $11,000 or more depending on additional equipment I also looked at refurbs from our Village store. They are asking for $11,500 for a 2020 refurb & $13,000 for a new 2022 with the same equipment. These prices are for what the Villagers store sells as Lifestyle equipped, both identical. My feeling was that the refurbs are not coming with a new or rebuilt motor or drivetrain, they make them pretty and while they do offer a 3 year warranty they're betting on you not having an issue before the warranty runs out. Therefore, with the difference being $1500 I went new. Lead time for delivery is sometime in January but they will supply me with a loaner until me cart arrives.
Attached Thumbnails
The Villages Florida: Click image for larger version

Name:	16286015824458491791316864266636.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	90392  

Last edited by JohnnyT; 08-10-2021 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Type O
Old 08-10-2021, 09:25 AM

I am very mechanically inclined and initially had concerns about buying a reconditioned cart. They don't open the motor up, but do a compression test which will show a 'worn out' motor but may still hide some significant wear. That said, we went reconditioned because of price and besides the motor internals, it basically is a new cart including clutches rear end drive, etc. Time will tell if we made the right decision or not, but I'm fairly confident we did at least for us.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, yamaha, big, models, add

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.