We've asked an attorney to address golf cart insurance. A must read

Closed Thread
Old 09-24-2009, 09:14 PM
Eternal Member

Hey Beaver, er, I mean Jan (sorry, the pic threw me),
Thanx for your lawyer's guidance on cart insurance, but it still leaves a bog hole in some questions that have been cussed and discussed in here. Specifically, under Florida law, when is a golf cart a golf cart, when, if the speed capability exceeds 19 MPH, does it become a LSV, and when does it exceed the parameters of a LSV and what does it then become. And, of course, the critical elements, what are the legal and insurance implication?

Some sample comments:
Joe has his golf cart timed by Sumter County's finest using the latest technology in radar at 26MPH. Is he cited for a speeding golf cart or operating a LSV with it being licensed)?

Deb is driving her golf cart, takes a corner too fast, and throws Fumar from the cart into a wall. Fumar is hurt pretty badly and must be med-evaqed. The local constabulary time the cart with radar, capable of 28 MPH. Do the cops rule the cart a LSV? Does Deb's golf cart insurance cover her ever increasing liability from Fumar's helicopter flight, hospital TLC, and plethora of tests? Or does that company say, "no, not my job man" and deny coverage because it ain't a golf cart anymore?

There were many more examples cited, some quite realistic, some maybe not so much. We've had former insurance folks and ex-lawyers who can and have cited personal experience in Ohio, Maine, or Idaho, and they seemingly support at least both sides of the arguments. Jan (or Beav) could your tame lawyer address this?

`
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 09-24-2009, 09:36 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts
Default Please forgive a little, tiny hijack

Ohmygosh! Munc! Thank you!

That picture has been driving me nuts. Since it appeared, I have been asking myself, "Who is that? I know that kid. Did I go to elementary school with TH?" Oh, Munc, I was thinking I was going to have to ask TH, "Vas you ever in Zinzinnati?"

And then, sure enough, Munc, you rode right in here and saved my sanity. It is The Beaver! Why couldn't I see that?

Ohhhhh, please watch out for Eddie Haskell. He might be around here someplace, too.

OK, back to you, Beav.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 09-24-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 09-24-2009, 10:44 PM
Eternal Member

No Boom, I can't accuse Jan of actually being the Beaver. I was going thru some early grade school pictures recently and was reminded that all us kids in the mid-50's looked like the Beav (or maybe Larry, Whitey, or Gilbert). Actually Jan's pic looks more like Charlie, my best friend who left KC in the mid 50's and moved to California. But it's probably not him.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 11-03-2009, 06:18 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Muncie, I thought this was a thread about golf cart insurance, not a discussion of the defintion of a golf cart versus an NEV or a LSV.....GN
Old 11-12-2009, 01:43 PM

I just have to ask this question because I think I may be missing something: I have medical expense insurance through my employment that covers me and my wife for injury, illness, etc., from any cause. Why would I pay for the same coverage through an auto or a golf cart policy? I don't understand the rationale of trying to guess how and in what circumstance I might be injured or become ill. A good general policy should cover everything I believe. When I was injured in an auto accident a few years back, they certainly inquired if I had medical expense insurance through my auto policy. When I said no and they verified the information, my employer medical expense policy readily paid everything. It is irrational to me to buy two insurance policies to cover the same thing when only one will ever pay.

Last edited by TomW; 11-12-2009 at 01:59 PM.
Old 11-12-2009, 08:30 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomW View Post
I just have to ask this question because I think I may be missing something: I have medical expense insurance through my employment that covers me and my wife for injury, illness, etc., from any cause. Why would I pay for the same coverage through an auto or a golf cart policy? I don't understand the rationale of trying to guess how and in what circumstance I might be injured or become ill. A good general policy should cover everything I believe. When I was injured in an auto accident a few years back, they certainly inquired if I had medical expense insurance through my auto policy. When I said no and they verified the information, my employer medical expense policy readily paid everything. It is irrational to me to buy two insurance policies to cover the same thing when only one will ever pay.
You raise an excellent point. In actuality, the only reason to purchase the medical insurance for people in the golf cart would be primarily for the benefit of any passengers who happened to be injured during the use of the cart. Considering the variety of people who could be in the cart, (kids, uninsured friends etc.) it's some minimal coverage (usually $5,000)for a nominal yearly amount that would cover the majority of minor injuries regardless of fault.

Having said that, ask yourself, why everybody in the state of Florida is required to purchase $10,000 of medical coverage on their auto policy for an antiquated alleged "no fault" insurance plan?
Old 11-18-2009, 09:49 AM

Because Florida's Plaintiff's bar has a very strong lobby.
Old 01-10-2010, 07:24 PM

I'm not going to allow someone I don't know to ride with me in my golf cart while I play a round. That is silly.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:40 AM
Veteran member
Default No riders

May I post a sign "NO RIDERS" like the old home delivery Milkman and Postal trucks had back in the day? Can I say NO because I'm not insured to carry riders? In this litigous society it is a risk if somebody falls out of a cart because they are uncoordinated or reckless. You can't always manage the actions of your riders. What if he/she goes to move the cart because they are closer to it and doesn't lock the brake and it rolls into a pond? Or they hit somebody etc. etc. etc. I wouldn't mind giving soebody a ride if they have a waier but talk about slow play trying to get that paperwork done.....
Old 03-16-2010, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Fumar View Post
In five years I have never had an ambassador direct me to allow another golfer to ride in my cart........If it does happen , I would tell him to stick it up his nose ......I'm not saying I wouldn't give someone a ride but if I do ,its going to be my idea and no one elses......
That would be like being forced to give someone a ride ot Orlando because your going in that direction........
I'm not saying that this couldn't happen , I'm just saying it better never happen to me...........
so you never play in the Tuesday Tournies.......
Old 08-04-2010, 10:46 AM

Excellent article.

When we come to TV next year, I'll purchase the additonal golf cart coverage. It's important to protect the nest egg from a possible lawsuit.

I wonder if an Umbrella policy would apply?

Thanks again.

Jeanette
Old 09-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Default Golf ( Cart / LSV )

My main question is; why do I need to pay more for my 10 thousand dollar golf cart ( LSV ) insurance than our 50 thousand dollar Lexus ???

TnD111
Old 09-25-2010, 09:23 PM

My sister just purchased a golf cart and went to cover it with her insurance company. When she told them that she bought it so her renters would have a golf cart to get around in, they refused to insure it. They specifically said that they were NOT guests in her home but paying to stay there. I called my insurance company and she told me the same thing but referred me to Allstate. I called my allstate agent and was told that yes, they insure golf carts but if you are renting your house then you need what is called "guest liability" insurance. It runs $140.00 a year but then you can't be sued if something happens to them while they are renting your house and using your cart. I will note here, that my sister gives up her ID card and priviledges when she rents her house because the people want to play golf etc. Just thought I would throw this out to anyone who might rent their home and include a golf cart as part of the package.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:38 AM

I'm a new Florida resident but everywhere I've lived until now a waiver releasing liability is as worthless as the paper it's printed on. It's always assumed that the vehicle will be operated in a safe and prudent manner for the waiver to have any legal force. If an accident happened the definition of safe and prudent is up to the courts and so the lawsuits begin.
Old 05-04-2011, 10:24 PM
Default Golf cart insurance in The Villages

I am interested in renting my home in the Villages. This home will come equipped with a golf cart. I want to get the correct coverage for my home and the golf cart when a renter and also the owner uses the home and the golf cart. What is the correct insurance I should purchase and who should I contact?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.