We've asked an attorney to address golf cart insurance. A must read

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #76  
Old 05-17-2019, 11:01 AM
kkaiser1213 kkaiser1213 is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 2
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

We are coming for a lifestyle visit in 2 weeks. TV offers a golf cart for our use. I know that we must sign a waiver of some sort indicating we would be responsible for any damage to the cart. However, what if someone walks out in front of the cart while on a MMP and we bump into them? Are we insured? We currently live in Ohio and State Farm has been very vague concerning whether our homeowners liability would cover us. They want to know if the "owners" (the developer??) has base coverage on the cart.

Any thoughts on this? Can you use a cart that belongs to someone else without insurance? Who would pay if an injury to another party occurred?
  #77  
Old 06-29-2019, 11:11 AM
jimburley jimburley is offline
Junior Member
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Good article

Can anyone recommend Golf Cart insurance that covers all of the above issues and includes PIP and personal liability that can be used to rent out house and cart.
  #78  
Old 12-18-2020, 09:58 AM
bobnyce bobnyce is offline
Member
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Lady Lake, Fl
Posts: 88
Thanks: 1
Thanked 98 Times in 37 Posts
Default Umbrella Coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhooman View Post
Excellent article.

When we come to TV next year, I'll purchase the additonal golf cart coverage. It's important to protect the nest egg from a possible lawsuit.

I wonder if an Umbrella policy would apply?

Thanks again.

Jeanette
My experience is that the Umbrella only covers property already insured by other coverage - thus it is an Umbrella over you!
  #79  
Old 12-18-2020, 12:22 PM
retiredguy123 retiredguy123 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 5,819
Thanks: 552
Thanked 3,979 Times in 1,487 Posts
Default

In the OP, it says:

"uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is utilized very often to pay medical bills, lost wages, and to compensate for pain and aggravation."

I don't think that is true in The Villages. If you are on Medicare or have good medical insurance, you don't need vehicle insurance to pay for medical bills. If I am injured, I don't want an auto insurance company deciding how my injuries are to be treated and who treats them. If you are retired, you don't have any wages to lose. And, who wants to sue your own insurance company for pain and aggravation? If someone else is injured and it is your fault, your liability coverage will kick in, not uninsured motorist insurance. In Florida, uninsured motorist insurance is optional, unlike many other states. I evaluated the cost of the uninsured motorist insurance and decided to not pay for it, but I do have a high limit for liability coverage. It can save a few hundred dollars on your auto policy. Something to consider.
  #80  
Old 12-18-2020, 12:53 PM
Bogie Shooter Bogie Shooter is offline
Sage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 14,881
Thanks: 3
Thanked 1,550 Times in 722 Posts
Default

Since OP was 11 years ago......this thread should have been left in the dead pile.
__________________
The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it. George Orwell.
“Only truth and transparency can guarantee freedom”, John McCain
  #81  
Old 12-18-2020, 01:20 PM
Pairadocs Pairadocs is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Oct 2020
Posts: 340
Thanks: 255
Thanked 314 Times in 148 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge538 View Post
Many of us use our personal golf carts while playing the Villages golf courses. It is often the case that we are instructed / compelled by the 'Ambassadors' to allow a guest to share our cart. I have previously inquired with the Villages as to any liability in case someone then riding in the cart suffered an injury. The Village's attorneys 'refused' to respond. "Drive carefully."
Are we shocked ? ? LOL..... that The Villages would NOT respond..... LOL ! Sounds like when I (female, husband was not present) was ORDERED by an "ambassador" (do NOT say "marshal") to allow a male smoking a cigar to share MY cart. I refused, the "ambassador" insisted "if you want to play at your reserved time", I declined and went home. Then decided to go to the golf office where I inquired about this "policy" of sharing a personal cart. I was told they would "speak" to the ambassador I named. That was it, no explanation. I do not think they would in any way be concerned if someone was injured in YOUR cart, not at all. I wonder with the Covid raging, if they continue to order people into your private cart rather you are comfortable with that or not ? I now just say, "no, I'll just leave", it's better than the way some of them argue.... next day make a reservation and you may get a different result. I was told under NO circumstances can there EVER be 4 carts in a group..... on other courses right here, I see it ALL THE TIME. Left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing, they make it up on the fly. Like all businesses, some really logical, rational, very gracious and friendly "ambassadors" and others are there only to feel "important" and in charge. Life's too short to argue with these people is my attitude.
  #82  
Old 12-18-2020, 01:30 PM
stanley stanley is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Nov 2020
Location: The here and now
Posts: 212
Thanks: 251
Thanked 428 Times in 129 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
I wonder with the Covid raging, if they continue to order people into your private cart rather you are comfortable with that or not ? I now just say, "no, I'll just leave", it's better than the way some of them argue.... next day make a reservation and you may get a different result. I was told under NO circumstances can there EVER be 4 carts in a group..... on other courses right here, I see it ALL THE TIME..
My God man! You can still have four carts per foursome! Any course here in The Villages.

This is requested and recommended. "We" see it all the time!
https://www.golfthevillages.com/whatsnew/Pairup.pdf

Last edited by stanley; 12-18-2020 at 05:23 PM.
  #83  
Old 12-18-2020, 05:39 PM
SharonW SharonW is offline
Member
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 56
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Default Guest Passenger Liability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge538 View Post
Many of us use our personal golf carts while playing the Villages golf courses. It is often the case that we are instructed / compelled by the 'Ambassadors' to allow a guest to share our cart. I have previously inquired with the Villages as to any liability in case someone then riding in the cart suffered an injury. The Village's attorneys 'refused' to respond. "Drive carefully."
Always include this coverage
  #84  
Old 12-18-2020, 05:42 PM
Topspinmo's Avatar
Topspinmo Topspinmo is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Oregon Mo. St Joesph mo, ft worth tx, Omaha neb., upper heyford UK, Clovis NM, OKC.
Posts: 7,117
Thanks: 3,087
Thanked 1,902 Times in 865 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Since OP was 11 years ago......this thread should have been left in the dead pile.
I’m amazed it wasn’t closed. I thought the great fubar was reincarnated until till I looked at dates, I miss his posts.
  #85  
Old 12-19-2020, 08:42 AM
bilcon bilcon is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 740
Thanks: 4
Thanked 413 Times in 172 Posts
Default

First of all, the ambassador would not tell you to share carts. Before Covid-19, it was common practice for the STARTER on championship courses to tell you to have 2 to a cart (share), so they could lessen the cart traffic. If you refused then you were told that one cart had to remain off the fairway on every hole. This was common practice. Most of the time, it was not a problem, but if the other driver was a smoker, there was no way I would share a cart with him/her. You were never refused or told you can't play. I don't know where that previous poster got his/her info. You could always ride alone, but it was discouraged. You have more chance getting hit by a golf ball than having an accident on the golf course in a golf cart.

Last edited by bilcon; 12-19-2020 at 08:48 AM. Reason: typo
  #86  
Old 12-19-2020, 09:27 AM
graciegirl's Avatar
graciegirl graciegirl is offline
Sage
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 38,905
Thanks: 3,759
Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,328 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Are we shocked ? ? LOL..... that The Villages would NOT respond..... LOL ! Sounds like when I (female, husband was not present) was ORDERED by an "ambassador" (do NOT say "marshal") to allow a male smoking a cigar to share MY cart. I refused, the "ambassador" insisted "if you want to play at your reserved time", I declined and went home. Then decided to go to the golf office where I inquired about this "policy" of sharing a personal cart. I was told they would "speak" to the ambassador I named. That was it, no explanation. I do not think they would in any way be concerned if someone was injured in YOUR cart, not at all. I wonder with the Covid raging, if they continue to order people into your private cart rather you are comfortable with that or not ? I now just say, "no, I'll just leave", it's better than the way some of them argue.... next day make a reservation and you may get a different result. I was told under NO circumstances can there EVER be 4 carts in a group..... on other courses right here, I see it ALL THE TIME. Left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing, they make it up on the fly. Like all businesses, some really logical, rational, very gracious and friendly "ambassadors" and others are there only to feel "important" and in charge. Life's too short to argue with these people is my attitude.
Usually. USUALLY. When there is no pandemic, the courses expect two in a cart. (To save wear and tear on the grass) If you are a long time golfer and a frequent golfer this makes sense. This place, The Villages, is run better than any other place I have ever lived. I think that the Ambassadors who are not called Marshalls, nor do they act like the ones most of us used to know, rarely point out infractions, The Ambassadors are following what seems to be the Morse's practice of trying NOT to boss people around. In all the years I had played golf here, I had NEVER met one who "tried to act "important and boss people around".
__________________
It is better to laugh than to cry.
  #87  
Old 12-20-2020, 12:12 AM
SharonW SharonW is offline
Member
Join Date: Apr 2020
Posts: 56
Thanks: 0
Thanked 16 Times in 10 Posts
Default PIP is only available if LSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimburley View Post
Can anyone recommend Golf Cart insurance that covers all of the above issues and includes PIP and personal liability that can be used to rent out house and cart.
A golf cart is not classified as an auto but an off road vehicle in Florida. Personal Injury Protection is only offered on a vehicle classified as an auto.

To my knowledge only the owner of the golf cart can purchase insurance.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:14 PM.