We've asked an attorney to address golf cart insurance. A must read

Closed Thread
Old 05-17-2019, 11:01 AM

We are coming for a lifestyle visit in 2 weeks. TV offers a golf cart for our use. I know that we must sign a waiver of some sort indicating we would be responsible for any damage to the cart. However, what if someone walks out in front of the cart while on a MMP and we bump into them? Are we insured? We currently live in Ohio and State Farm has been very vague concerning whether our homeowners liability would cover us. They want to know if the "owners" (the developer??) has base coverage on the cart.

Any thoughts on this? Can you use a cart that belongs to someone else without insurance? Who would pay if an injury to another party occurred?
Old 06-29-2019, 11:11 AM
Default Good article

Can anyone recommend Golf Cart insurance that covers all of the above issues and includes PIP and personal liability that can be used to rent out house and cart.
Old 12-18-2020, 09:58 AM
Default Umbrella Coverage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhooman View Post
Excellent article.

When we come to TV next year, I'll purchase the additonal golf cart coverage. It's important to protect the nest egg from a possible lawsuit.

I wonder if an Umbrella policy would apply?

Thanks again.

Jeanette
My experience is that the Umbrella only covers property already insured by other coverage - thus it is an Umbrella over you!
Old 12-18-2020, 12:22 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,418 Times in 5,109 Posts

In the OP, it says:

"uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage is utilized very often to pay medical bills, lost wages, and to compensate for pain and aggravation."

I don't think that is true in The Villages. If you are on Medicare or have good medical insurance, you don't need vehicle insurance to pay for medical bills. If I am injured, I don't want an auto insurance company deciding how my injuries are to be treated and who treats them. If you are retired, you don't have any wages to lose. And, who wants to sue your own insurance company for pain and aggravation? If someone else is injured and it is your fault, your liability coverage will kick in, not uninsured motorist insurance. In Florida, uninsured motorist insurance is optional, unlike many other states. I evaluated the cost of the uninsured motorist insurance and decided to not pay for it, but I do have a high limit for liability coverage. It can save a few hundred dollars on your auto policy. Something to consider.
Old 12-18-2020, 12:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Since OP was 11 years ago......this thread should have been left in the dead pile.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:20 PM
Platinum member
Location: Here, there, a lot of time in the Caribbean and keys, not much time spent in cold climates
Thanked 1,730 Times in 738 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge538 View Post
Many of us use our personal golf carts while playing the Villages golf courses. It is often the case that we are instructed / compelled by the 'Ambassadors' to allow a guest to share our cart. I have previously inquired with the Villages as to any liability in case someone then riding in the cart suffered an injury. The Village's attorneys 'refused' to respond. "Drive carefully."
Are we shocked ? ? LOL..... that The Villages would NOT respond..... LOL ! Sounds like when I (female, husband was not present) was ORDERED by an "ambassador" (do NOT say "marshal") to allow a male smoking a cigar to share MY cart. I refused, the "ambassador" insisted "if you want to play at your reserved time", I declined and went home. Then decided to go to the golf office where I inquired about this "policy" of sharing a personal cart. I was told they would "speak" to the ambassador I named. That was it, no explanation. I do not think they would in any way be concerned if someone was injured in YOUR cart, not at all. I wonder with the Covid raging, if they continue to order people into your private cart rather you are comfortable with that or not ? I now just say, "no, I'll just leave", it's better than the way some of them argue.... next day make a reservation and you may get a different result. I was told under NO circumstances can there EVER be 4 carts in a group..... on other courses right here, I see it ALL THE TIME. Left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing, they make it up on the fly. Like all businesses, some really logical, rational, very gracious and friendly "ambassadors" and others are there only to feel "important" and in charge. Life's too short to argue with these people is my attitude.
Old 12-18-2020, 01:30 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,319 Times in 462 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
I wonder with the Covid raging, if they continue to order people into your private cart rather you are comfortable with that or not ? I now just say, "no, I'll just leave", it's better than the way some of them argue.... next day make a reservation and you may get a different result. I was told under NO circumstances can there EVER be 4 carts in a group..... on other courses right here, I see it ALL THE TIME..
My God man! You can still have four carts per foursome! Any course here in The Villages.

This is requested and recommended. "We" see it all the time!
https://www.golfthevillages.com/whatsnew/Pairup.pdf

Last edited by stanley; 12-18-2020 at 05:23 PM.
Old 12-18-2020, 05:39 PM
Default Guest Passenger Liability

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midge538 View Post
Many of us use our personal golf carts while playing the Villages golf courses. It is often the case that we are instructed / compelled by the 'Ambassadors' to allow a guest to share our cart. I have previously inquired with the Villages as to any liability in case someone then riding in the cart suffered an injury. The Village's attorneys 'refused' to respond. "Drive carefully."
Always include this coverage
Old 12-18-2020, 05:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bogie Shooter View Post
Since OP was 11 years ago......this thread should have been left in the dead pile.
I’m amazed it wasn’t closed. I thought the great fubar was reincarnated until till I looked at dates, I miss his posts.
Old 12-19-2020, 08:42 AM
Veteran member

First of all, the ambassador would not tell you to share carts. Before Covid-19, it was common practice for the STARTER on championship courses to tell you to have 2 to a cart (share), so they could lessen the cart traffic. If you refused then you were told that one cart had to remain off the fairway on every hole. This was common practice. Most of the time, it was not a problem, but if the other driver was a smoker, there was no way I would share a cart with him/her. You were never refused or told you can't play. I don't know where that previous poster got his/her info. You could always ride alone, but it was discouraged. You have more chance getting hit by a golf ball than having an accident on the golf course in a golf cart.

Last edited by bilcon; 12-19-2020 at 08:48 AM. Reason: typo
Old 12-19-2020, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pairadocs View Post
Are we shocked ? ? LOL..... that The Villages would NOT respond..... LOL ! Sounds like when I (female, husband was not present) was ORDERED by an "ambassador" (do NOT say "marshal") to allow a male smoking a cigar to share MY cart. I refused, the "ambassador" insisted "if you want to play at your reserved time", I declined and went home. Then decided to go to the golf office where I inquired about this "policy" of sharing a personal cart. I was told they would "speak" to the ambassador I named. That was it, no explanation. I do not think they would in any way be concerned if someone was injured in YOUR cart, not at all. I wonder with the Covid raging, if they continue to order people into your private cart rather you are comfortable with that or not ? I now just say, "no, I'll just leave", it's better than the way some of them argue.... next day make a reservation and you may get a different result. I was told under NO circumstances can there EVER be 4 carts in a group..... on other courses right here, I see it ALL THE TIME. Left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing, they make it up on the fly. Like all businesses, some really logical, rational, very gracious and friendly "ambassadors" and others are there only to feel "important" and in charge. Life's too short to argue with these people is my attitude.
Usually. USUALLY. When there is no pandemic, the courses expect two in a cart. (To save wear and tear on the grass) If you are a long time golfer and a frequent golfer this makes sense. This place, The Villages, is run better than any other place I have ever lived. I think that the Ambassadors who are not called Marshalls, nor do they act like the ones most of us used to know, rarely point out infractions, The Ambassadors are following what seems to be the Morse's practice of trying NOT to boss people around. In all the years I had played golf here, I had NEVER met one who "tried to act "important and boss people around".
Old 12-20-2020, 12:12 AM
Default PIP is only available if LSV

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimburley View Post
Can anyone recommend Golf Cart insurance that covers all of the above issues and includes PIP and personal liability that can be used to rent out house and cart.
A golf cart is not classified as an auto but an off road vehicle in Florida. Personal Injury Protection is only offered on a vehicle classified as an auto.

To my knowledge only the owner of the golf cart can purchase insurance.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.