What accessories best for new cart

Closed Thread
Old 12-17-2019, 09:53 AM
Default What accessories best for new cart

We are purchasing our first cart. What are the most recommended add ons and ones that were a waste of money. I saw somewhere hand holds can be installed to help getting in and out. Who does that? Dealer?
Old 12-17-2019, 10:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

When I purchased my cart from TV Golf Carts at LSL about 8 years ago they had handles in the ceiling of the cart. So a passenger can grab those without a problem if they want. Of course if you have seat belts there will be less need for holding a handle. Getting in and out, I don't see how that is necessary. If you have upgraded seats, such as I have, you'll have armrests on the side which can aid in getting in and out.

The accessories that added are because I'm a golfer. I added a sand bottle to the passenger side of the cart, so both golfers can get a bottle without walking around the cart. I also got rid of the 6-pack cooler since it's too small to put in sandwiches or containers. At TV Golf Cart store at LSL they sell two kinds of upgraded coolers, the 12 pack is $80 and then a newer more insulated 12 pack is $99, I just bought that one last month. It's very stylish looking and connects to the cart without using a big bracket.

I also added a few years ago a ball & club washer after I rode with someone who had one on their cart. Just dip your clubhead right in and brushes clean it right off and then your club is clean in seconds.

I also discarded that floor mat that looks like used car tires with big holes and all the dirt falls onto the floor below. The rubber mat is much nicer and you can pull it out and hose it off quickly, It's about $60 at LSL.

Just for looks I had the roof on my cart painted black, it matches the body color and they charged $300 to that at their shop before I received the cart.

I mentioned upgraded seats. My neighbor has a cart from Villages Discount Golf Cars and he has the upgraded seats, but they don't have a center armrest. I have Ultimate Seats which at the time The Villages was using, they now use El Tigre Seats which are similar. The main difference is they have a center armrest and it is really nice to have your arm connected to that when going around corners and your left hand is on the wheel.

Also for looks I got the SS wheels. They really standout, at the time they were only $125 extra for a set of 4, now I believe they're about $100 a piece. Might check that out.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Storage is also nice. We have a tray mounted in the front and rear about 4" from the roof. Great place to put jackets and hats especially when you start the day in cool and get to hot as the day goes on. We also added a digital speedometer and odometer. We also added small baskets in front of the steering wheel and in front of the passenger seat against the windshield for miscellaneous stuff like tees, balls, gloves, snacks, sun glasses, maps etc. for easy access.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-17-2019, 05:15 PM
Sage

Sorry for stating the obvious but gas gauge mounted on your dash would be a necessity!!!

I found the storage rack to be very useful.

Another must have is, "seat belts"! IMHO

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 12-17-2019, 05:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

But it from Carts and Clubs in Ocala
(352-351-2278, talk to Peggy); accessories added will still be less than the Villages Carts.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:30 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Maybe a 12 volt plug for a fan or radio.
Consider a fold down rear seat. When folded down it gives you room to haul stuff.
Old 12-17-2019, 06:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,460 Times in 3,088 Posts

Gas gauge/speedometer on the steering column, a USB port, seatbelts, sand bottle/holder (if you're a golfer), seat belts, audible turn signals (or self-cancelling, or both).
Old 12-17-2019, 06:49 PM
Veteran member

We have an automatic resetting signal light switch which for me is a must. No more driving down the road with my signal light flashing and people yelling "YOUR TURN SIGNAL'S ON!!"
Old 12-17-2019, 07:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,035 Times in 2,730 Posts

Best accessories are seat belts, self canceling turn signals (or at least an audio alert that signals are on), extra storage, gas gauge, kill switch, sand bottle, cooler, led lights, and comfortable aftermarket seats (very important). Wast of money would be a stero system. Get a good Bluetooth speaker that fits in a cup holder. Also, a speedometer is not necessary, just keep your carts maximum speed set at 20 MPH. Another good option on a new cart are the vents that let in air flow when the upper windshield is closed. I prefer to always have the windshield open, but my wife likes it closed and I really wish we had the vents on our carts.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

The Villages Florida

See this mirrors on this cart, that's a head-on collision waiting to happen. When I got my new Yamaha from The Villages in 2011 the mirrors were mounted about that same height. I went around the curve at Odell and Buena Vista, it's like a 110 degree turn and in a split second I saw a cart coming straight at me. I didn't see it before, the mirrors were directly in my field of vision.

I took the cart the very next day the LSL Villages store and told them they were a danger and they lowered the mirrors right there, no charge. I been noticing over the years and I think they now have learned and put the top of the mirror no higher than the black bar that goes across the windshield.

When I had the mirrors lowered, I also had them install LED turn signal lights on each window post. I believe nowadays they're doing that already or incorporating a signal within the mirror. However, if it's not there, have some sort of signal up around eye level installed because you'll end up going down the road with your left turn signal on all day. You'll probably have already seen carts do that. The Yamaha indicator light is on the console and is hidden by your right knee.
Old 12-17-2019, 10:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,460 Times in 3,088 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
The Villages Florida

See this mirrors on this cart, that's a head-on collision waiting to happen. When I got my new Yamaha from The Villages in 2011 the mirrors were mounted about that same height. I went around the curve at Odell and Buena Vista, it's like a 110 degree turn and in a split second I saw a cart coming straight at me. I didn't see it before, the mirrors were directly in my field of vision.

I took the cart the very next day the LSL Villages store and told them they were a danger and they lowered the mirrors right there, no charge. I been noticing over the years and I think they now have learned and put the top of the mirror no higher than the black bar that goes across the windshield.

When I had the mirrors lowered, I also had them install LED turn signal lights on each window post. I believe nowadays they're doing that already or incorporating a signal within the mirror. However, if it's not there, have some sort of signal up around eye level installed because you'll end up going down the road with your left turn signal on all day. You'll probably have already seen carts do that. The Yamaha indicator light is on the console and is hidden by your right knee.
I have mirrors like that on my Club Car; there's a bit of a mental adjustment necessary, but I've found that I'm able to handle them now after a few weeks of using the cart regularly. You have to watch a different part of the road in front of you, to see the curves coming up.

What is scary though, is going over the golf cart bridge to Spanish Springs. That thing is SO narrow that (again until I was used to it) I was pulling the left mirror completely inside as soon as I got to the bridge and pushed it back into position once I was over it.

Problem with that, was that moving those mirrors around regularly loosens the screw. The mirror kept pushing itself inward every time I went over a bump! If you tighten it too much it breaks.

My turn signals make a LOUD and very annoying beep-beep-beep until I turn them off again, so I don't have to worry about visual indicators at all.
Old 12-18-2019, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswitenki View Post
We are purchasing our first cart. What are the most recommended add ons and ones that were a waste of money. I saw somewhere hand holds can be installed to help getting in and out. Who does that? Dealer?
I, have, and would very highly recommend a street legal GEM Car. They are built very strong and very safe. These are sold at Bill Bryan in Fruitland Park. Call and ask for Richard. He is in the maintenance dept. and can give you all of the details about the safety of the GEM. If you are looking for a truck style, I have a 2015 GEM with only 1150 miles on it for $7500.00.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:11 AM

I think self cancelling directional signals are the best of the options we added.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flflyer View Post
I, have, and would very highly recommend a street legal GEM Car. They are built very strong and very safe. These are sold at Bill Bryan in Fruitland Park. Call and ask for Richard. He is in the maintenance dept. and can give you all of the details about the safety of the GEM. If you are looking for a truck style, I have a 2015 GEM with only 1150 miles on it for $7500.00.
Still trying to understand the advantage of street legal? Since it requires a Florida license plate, how do you justify the cost?

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-18-2019, 11:29 AM

Street Legal also requires insurance. This insurance costs the same as for a car.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, hand, holds, installed, money

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.