What am I missing?

Closed Thread
Old 10-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Gold member
Default What am I missing?

Lately, I have seen an increase in the number of "Street Legal" golf carts.

Other than they get to do 25 on Morse Blvd. and **** off the people driving cars, what is the benefit? What am I missing?

Yoda
Old 10-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Eternal Member

I would like to hear from someone that drives a street legal cart myself to find out the benefits. Besides the extra costs from registration, licensing and insurance, etc.

Any one out there that drives a street legal cart on the main roads?

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:35 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Count me in on one of those who doesn't get the benefits. As far as I can figure out, the benefits are you don't have to take a couple of tunnels and have more direct routes from A to B. In return, you have added costs. To me, the big issue is you are truly sharing the road (not just on the side) with vehicles that are bigger and strronger and are going to win every time they bump you. Just not worth the risk if you ask me.

I'll putt-putt along, take my tunnels and enjoy the view along the way. They can worry if they're going to get creamed.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-08-2009, 06:05 AM
Gold member

No doubt this year's $4000-$5000 tax credit has something to do with it.

Here's the information at Tomberlin's web site:

http://tomberlin.net/#/electric-vehi...redits-vehicle

And that's not a tax deduction folks, it's a bottom line tax credit that doesn't need to be paid back and is not subjec to the alternative minimum tax rules.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:16 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

I agree, I do not see the benifit either.

Now if I understand this, you only get the tax credit if it is an electric golf car?

Army Guy
Old 10-08-2009, 07:54 AM
Gold member

The benefits are quite obvious: thanks to the generosity (stupidity???) of Uncle Sam, the purchaser receives around $5,000 in tax credits. Despite the higher insurance and registration costs, this presents a positive cash flow over the life of the cart. Hence, even if you never went above 20 MPH or on a 35 MPH street, the economics are in favor of the street legals.

However, I agree with the sentiment of sharing Morse and Buena Vista with the street legals. I think it is dangerous and if we end up buying a street legal, I doubt that we will ever be on a 35 MPH street.

Last edited by NJblue; 10-08-2009 at 07:58 AM.
Old 10-08-2009, 08:42 AM
Veteran member
Location: Indiana,the Villages,Port Charlotte fl ,Summerfield fl, The villages again

I had one , (lc-3) the picture is in my album here. I had it for a very short time and bailed out because It was just not worth it to me.
I prefer my wifes electric clubcar golfcart, but she likes it better.....so I bought a gas yamaha 4 passenger golf cart.
Old 10-08-2009, 11:57 AM
Gold member

Seems like some here constantly have $$$ burning a hole in their pocket and are always looking for the next opportunity to spend some. Street Legal may be another way.
Old 10-08-2009, 01:09 PM
SNOK

The tax benefits are definitely the attraction. Some states offer tax credits in additon to the Federal tax credit. In Oklahoma, for example, the state tax credit is 50% of the purchase price of the street-legal electric car (or cart). It works out so that a street-legal cart can be almost free with the tax credits. Of course, the registration and insurance costs, will be higher. Also, since delivery and registration is required in Oklahoma, it would have to be transported to TV, another approx. $800 cost. I looked into it, but decided I didn't really want a street-legal electric cart that goes 30-40 miles and takes 8hrs to recharge. I am holding out for the new technology, which, if proved viable, will eliminate those disadvantages. Until then, I'll stick to gas, even withouth the tax credits.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:07 PM
Veteran member

Do the street legal carts have a wider wheelbase or is one expected to go 35 MPH around a bend in the road? It not, it seems like an awfully narrow wheelbase for that speed.
Old 10-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Exclamation

Street Legal Golf Carts can only legally go 25 mph. They can legally travel on a road where the speed limit is 35 mph or less. If they go over 25 mph they can be ticketed for speeding.
Old 10-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rshoffer View Post
Seems like some here constantly have $$$ burning a hole in their pocket and are always looking for the next opportunity to spend some. Street Legal may be another way.
Perhaps with some that may be the situation, but with the government tax credit, the situation is reversed. If I had money to burn, I'd probably get a Club Car since it provides the most leg room for my wife. However, since I'm not in the habit of burning money, I need to opt for a cheaper solution, which in this case is a street legal cart.
Old 10-08-2009, 05:14 PM

I have a street legal LSV (GEM) built by Chrysler. I really like it a lot. It is very roomy and was quite reasonable. It is 2007 so I didn't get a tax credit.
All I know is that Chrysler is an American Company...so I feel good about that. The benefits of a LSV is just a matter of personal choice. I like the fact it has windshield wipers, seat belts. Insurance is about 150 a year so I didn't think that was to bad. Wide open it can go about 27 mph. I just like it better than a Golf cart (quieter and a much smoother ride)....I don't play golf so I really don't need it for that purpose.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.