What cart to buy?

Closed Thread
Old 03-30-2016, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
The wife is moderately interested in a more enclosed cart. I've seen sliding and hinged doors and have wondered if these would be insanely hot in the summer as we'll be full-timers, not snowbirds. Does anybody have any advice on cart enclosures? Are they wonderful in the winter and unbearable in the summer or are they wonderful year-round or are they kind of useless (since most people don't seem to bother with them)?
Glad you asked. I'm also interested in hearing opinions from folks about the enclosed carts, I believe they are call Curtis Cab Doors. They seem to add a bit of security also ease of use when unexpected weather hits, possibly warmer inside during cooler times with the doors closed. Altough I'm sure air circulations may be a problem.
Old 03-30-2016, 07:56 AM
Sage

Well one big advantage is the drivers knee isn't hanging out in the traffic lane just waiting for a car to clip it.

It's amazing how many guys drive like that.
Old 03-30-2016, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

There are those who like gas carts and those who like electric. It is kinda like how we vote and how we feel about religion; no one is going to change our minds. We have gas carts and we have solar panels on our roof to heat our pool. I like what is proven to work well.
Old 03-30-2016, 10:40 AM
Gold member
Smile

I have lived in the Villages for 11 years and have owned 4 golf carts, both gas and electric. Presently I have an electric Parcar which I have had for a couple of years. Distance is never a problem but the most distance I have put is 25 miles. As far as enclosures I have had both a Curtis Cab and a MEE enclosure. However right now I have an interesting enclosure that I purchased with my cart. It is a sliding canvas enclosure that is attached to the front of the cart with velcro. It works great and is certainly easy to open or close. I don't think anyone else has this type of enclosure. I would not have a cart without an enclosure of some type. Another advantage of this type of enclosure is that it's not very heavy.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 03-30-2016, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
On the subject of enclosures I am not a fan of solid enclosures. I enjoy having an open cart and enjoying the fresh air. The solid enclosures take a lot of that away and the amount of time you will need them in a year is minimal, yet they are there all the time.
You mention lack of fresh air with a solid enclosure. Does that mean even with the doors open?
Old 04-12-2016, 04:17 PM

Completely agree!
Old 04-12-2016, 10:44 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyerguy View Post
You mention lack of fresh air with a solid enclosure. Does that mean even with the doors open?
That is what those with solid enclosures tell me. I have a friend that has two carts, one sunbrella equipped and one curtis cab equipped. He uses the curtis only when there is a chance of foul weather. I play golf with a guy that also has a curtis and he has made it clear that they next cart will not have an enclosure. As with everything, it really is personal preference but I see no advantage to solids.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 04-18-2016, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernaldio View Post
Moving in this Spring...what kind of a cart should I buy and where. Thanks for your suggestions.
We have had our 2010 Star Cart for 6 years. Still on the original set of 8 6v batteries; we are just now realizing a noticeable decrease in range, so expect to replace the batteries next Fall. Our cart will easily go 20 mph, only very slight slow-down on up-slopes. We are definitely fans of Electric, and IMHO a Star will get you the most cart for the money.
Old 04-18-2016, 10:57 PM
Sage

Have you considered Lithium and or solar with lead acid
Old 04-19-2016, 03:44 PM

Not ready yet to make that kind of investment. I have a battery minder, purchased 3 yrs ago. Got 6 yrs out of first battery set. With Battery Minder starting with new batteries next Fall, I should get at least 6 or 7 years out of those. By that time, hopefully, the price of the new technology will have fallen significantly. Or by then, maybe we'll get a new cart... Or maybe by then I won't need a cart anymore......(sigh)
Closed Thread

Tags
buy, cart, suggestions, moving, kind, spring

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.