Columbia ParCar charger replacements?

Closed Thread
Old 04-28-2011, 07:39 PM
Default Columbia ParCar charger replacements?

How many ParCar owners have had to replace the charger?
In warrantee?
Out of warranttee?
Did the failure occur when your first set of batteries needed replacement?
Old 04-29-2011, 07:12 PM
Sage
Location: the villages since 04. Lived in Alaska, Texas, California, Massachusetts, Maine, Maryland, New York
Thanked 6,954 Times in 1,189 Posts

Bought my Par Car new in 2004. I am on second set of batteries have not had to replace charger.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Platinum member

We bought a 2011 ParCar last Sept. and a few weeks ago it died on the hill near Havana CC. We had gone no more than 30 miles that day. They took it to the shop and replaced all the batteries and the charger. These were the maintenance free batteries.
Nancy
Old 04-30-2011, 06:54 AM
Sage

I have never had a cart under warranty, they cost real money, maybe someday

I did have a 2000 Par Car until recently and never had to replace the charger. The charger did stop working once. I called Lester Electrical and a super nice gentleman helped me find that the relay was the issue. Inexpensive part and easy fix. I cannot say enough about a company that takes a support call for a 10 year old charger

Not sure why you are asking about the relationship of charger and battery? From my reading the only time you may need to change charger is you go from a wet battery to a gel battery as the gel charge at different rates (but I could be wrong on that).
Old 04-30-2011, 08:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajbrown View Post

Not sure why you are asking about the relationship of charger and battery? From my reading the only time you may need to change charger is you go from a wet battery to a gel battery as the gel charge at different rates (but I could be wrong on that).
AJ, you're right. Gel batteries need a special charger that charges at a slower rate than regular chargers. I have a gel battery in my car and had to buy a special charger for it. A regular charger will damage the battery.
Old 04-30-2011, 11:13 AM

What exactly is the problem with the charger?

Does it not power up?

Does it not charge the batteries?

Does it not complete a charge?
Old 05-17-2011, 07:26 AM
Default ParCar Woes

We have a 3 1/2 year old cart with on board charger and maintenance free batteries. Called ParCar as soon as warning light started flashing. Have just learned that the charger is bad and in turn ruined the batteries and the intake system! Will cost us almost as much to repair as the trade-in value. The batteries were replaed after the first year but were still under warranty. (no fault of ours) I was told I had 700 hours of use. I didn't think that was a lot as I have several friends who RARELY drive a car and use the cart daily. I think we bought a lemon! No more ParCars for us.

If anyone has had a similar experience, I would like to know about it.

Last edited by GrandmaP; 05-17-2011 at 09:27 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.