Where do y'all get your golf cart oil changed?

Closed Thread
Old 10-10-2021, 07:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road-Runner View Post
Any issue running synthetic in these engines? Mine is a (new to me) reman so it already has way more than enough hours to break it in, but a cooler running oil can't be a bad thing I wouldn't think.
It will still burn you’re you’re fingers right after shut down.
Old 10-11-2021, 11:48 AM
Default I have gotten my oil changed at Tire Choice but suggesting Mobile Golf Cart Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryoungs View Post
Hi-- I'm new here, and I need to get my oil changed in my golf cart. I live close to Lake Sumter Landing. Where is a good place to get this service done? Thanks.
I've gotten the oil changed on my two carts for the last two years at Tire Choice in Colony without needing an appointment. They do check the battery and replace plug and filters but that's about all as far as I can tell and they charge about $80.
I recently had a problem with one of my carts and called Mobie Golf Cart Garage at 352-299-3270. They came to my house and repaired the cart in about 30 minutes (bad wiring connection). The guy is a certified Yamaha tech. Does the yearly maintenance (not just an oil change) for $80 plus has a host of other services like seat belts and lights. I'm going to use this guy for my maintenance when due.
Old 10-13-2021, 07:06 AM

I change my own. Its easy, keeps me busy, and it cost less. The only hassle is hauling old oil to be recycled.
Old 01-13-2022, 07:09 PM
Default Oil Change and disposal

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
It’s pretty easy to do. I change both of our carts and our Traverse.

In fact, I’m going to change the cart this afternoon when I get home from work.
Looking for your advice and expertise. I’m looking at changing the oil in my own golf cart but have a question, where can you dispose of the old oil and what type of container does it need to go into when disposing of it? Thanks.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:10 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpyo View Post
Hi. I'm curious. I changed my own oil in my cars and motorcycles and used synthetic oil, so I'm kind of familiar with oil changes. I changed the oil in my 2017 Yamaha cart. I believe the manual says don't use synthetic oil because of some "splash" process whatever that is. I'd prefer to use synthetic. Any advice?
Also, my first oil change on the Yamaha was done by the dealer (at my home). He used a pump to extract the oil. Afterwards I checked the oil and the color was not what you would expect from an oil change. The next time I did it myself and took all the oil out from the bottom. Later when I checked the oil it looked perfectly new. If I was going to get someone else to change it in the future I'd avoid the pump method. However, if you change your oil every year I guess it probably wouldn't really matter which method was employed. I guess I'm kind of a stickler. I like to know that I'm replacing as much of the old with as much as the new as possible.
If you use you’re cart daily IMO 1 year oil changes is not enough for splash lubed glorified air cooled lawn mower engine. I expect my golf cart to out last me, so I change it every 6 months.
Old 01-13-2022, 11:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoBeau View Post
Looking for your advice and expertise. I’m looking at changing the oil in my own golf cart but have a question, where can you dispose of the old oil and what type of container does it need to go into when disposing of it? Thanks.
If Yamaha, it hold one quart.you drain it out and pour it back into I quart container (a or any container threat will not leak)(milk jug, oil oil can container, empty Landry soap container) and take that to any store that sells oil, preferably the one you brought the quart of oil from, it it don’t matter all will take the used oil by law and the sell the used oil to be refined.
Old 01-14-2022, 06:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DALEPQ View Post
For changing the oil yourself, where/how do you dispose of the used oil?
Use it for bar oil on your chain saw.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:36 AM
Gold member

Oil plug is not so easy on a Yamaha Quietec. There are items under the cart that must be removed in order to get access to the oil drain plug. I bought an oil sucker from Amazon for about twelve bucks, so I don't need to get to the plug at all. Instead of paying $70 for an oil change, I do it for less than $10.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:45 AM
Platinum member

On Quietech carts, more difficult to change oil due to fact they have a shield under the engine. Bought $15 hand pump and a quart of oil. Took me 10 minutes, job done and good for another year.

Make sure suction hose is very small as it does need to go down into oil level stick. I did need to reduce suction hose so that it fit into oil stick hole. $2.00 in parts from Ace.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

I learned something the other day, if you bring your cart to The Villages Golf Carts for an oil change they don’t drain your oil, they pump it out. I know this because I went there to by a new crush washer for the oil drain plug so I could change the oil in our cart. They didn’t have any in stock, which I found extremely odd? They explained that they didn’t need to carry the part since they pump the oil in the carts they service.
Old 01-14-2022, 09:53 AM
Sage
Thanked 8,931 Times in 2,701 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topspinmo View Post
If you use you’re cart daily IMO 1 year oil changes is not enough for splash lubed glorified air cooled lawn mower engine. I expect my golf cart to out last me, so I change it every 6 months.
If you use Amsoil small engine oil, once per year should be perfectly adequate.
Closed Thread

Tags
oil, changed, cart, golf, service

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.