Yamaha golf cart CODE 46

Closed Thread
Old 10-29-2021, 10:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts
Default Yamaha golf cart CODE 46

Here is some follow up, a few weeks ago I posted about getting a code 46 on our 2017 EFI golf cart. Well it appears that was due to the battery failing. The code was intermittent, as well as intermittent operation of the RED engine light. About 2 weeks after the code disappeared, the golf cart became very sluggish on starts and actually failed to start on one of the golf courses. The battery had a failed cell. Once I installed a new battery the cart is back to being very peppy on starting and NO codes showing up. NOTE: battery failure was also apparently intermittent as I had checked voltage a couple of times.
Old 10-29-2021, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Here is some follow up, a few weeks ago I posted about getting a code 46 on our 2017 EFI golf cart. Well it appears that was due to the battery failing. The code was intermittent, as well as intermittent operation of the RED engine light. About 2 weeks after the code disappeared, the golf cart became very sluggish on starts and actually failed to start on one of the golf courses. The battery had a failed cell. Once I installed a new battery the cart is back to being very peppy on starting and NO codes showing up. NOTE: battery failure was also apparently intermittent as I had checked voltage a couple of times.
Code 46 is abnormal FI voltage high or low. If you don't already have a battery tender installed I recommend you get one. They work extremely well.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:22 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Where did the code show up. I do not believe I have a device that would do that.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
Where did the code show up. I do not believe I have a device that would do that.
When you turn off the cart, the red engine light will flash a series of pulse several long ones and then several short ones. The long ones are the first digit, and the short ones are the second digit.
Old 10-29-2021, 08:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Quote:
When you turn off the cart, the red engine light will flash a series of pulse several long ones and then several short ones. The long ones are the first digit, and the short ones are the second digit.
Oh, will have to look for a red engine light. Have not noticed one.
Old 10-30-2021, 08:14 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
Oh, will have to look for a red engine light. Have not noticed one.
Just to clarify, our old Yamaha 1996 golf cart had a simple red light and was for low engine oil only. Our newer 2017 EFI Yamaha golf cart has a red light labeled engine and this is the one that can produce the codes. No idea of other brand carts, or exactly when the Yamaha carts started with the codes.
Old 10-31-2021, 03:23 AM

Quote:
Just to clarify, our old Yamaha 1996 golf cart had a simple red light and was for low engine oil only. Our newer 2017 EFI Yamaha golf cart has a red light labeled engine and this is the one that can produce the codes. No idea of other brand carts, or exactly when the Yamaha carts started with the codes.
Hmmm… That engine light must have been optional. My 2017 Drive2 EFI does not have it. Gas gauge only. Kind of wish it did. Sounds handy.
Old 10-31-2021, 07:18 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Both our 2013 Yamaha gas carts have that feature.
Old 10-31-2021, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the update.
Old 10-31-2021, 10:39 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSchad View Post
Hmmm… That engine light must have been optional. My 2017 Drive2 EFI does not have it. Gas gauge only. Kind of wish it did. Sounds handy.
Take a closer look, there should be a little red light built into the gas gauge, at least that is what the manual says.

Tags
battery, cart, code, golf, intermittent

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.