Yamaha golf cart oil change DIY

Closed Thread
Old 05-15-2017, 11:37 AM

You can save some time and effort in locating parts sources by simply going to a Yamaha dealer and purchasing their "tune-up / Oil change" kit. Everything you need is in one box, including air filters, spark plug, "crush" washer for the drain plug, and the oil. Price is aprox. $35.00. Anybody with any mechanical ability at all can do the job in about a half hour. The bonus of this, in addition to getting exactly the correct items, is that you will know it was done. There is no need to work from under the cart and the drain plug is on the driver's side below the clutch. Easy to reach from above with the right tools and using a low sided-pan to catch the quart of used oil. Oil change facilities for automobiles generally will be pleased to accept your used oil.

Unfortunately, having the dealer pick up the cart for service does not guarantee that the job is done. My wife and I have identical 2010 Yamaha carts, except for the color. Three years ago both carts were picked up at the same time and delivered the next day. When I checked the oil in her cart it was obviously NOT changed, and dirty. Went back to the dealer to complain and ask for a refund and was told they "sub" out the work and I'd have to take the matter up with their sub-vendor. After that nonsense, I went to the shop and got no help at all. IMO, the dealer collecting the money should have been the responsible party, but how much time can one waste over a few dollars? I decided to always do that job myself in the future. It is quick and easy, as well as saving money. Needless to say, the next time I buy a new cart it will not be from this dealer who has multiple locations in The Villages.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:43 PM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditka41 View Post
You can save some time and effort in locating parts sources by simply going to a Yamaha dealer and purchasing their "tune-up / Oil change" kit. Everything you need is in one box, including air filters, spark plug, "crush" washer for the drain plug, and the oil. Price is aprox. $35.00. Anybody with any mechanical ability at all can do the job in about a half hour. The bonus of this, in addition to getting exactly the correct items, is that you will know it was done. There is no need to work from under the cart and the drain plug is on the driver's side below the clutch. Easy to reach from above with the right tools and using a low sided-pan to catch the quart of used oil. Oil change facilities for automobiles generally will be pleased to accept your used oil.

Unfortunately, having the dealer pick up the cart for service does not guarantee that the job is done. My wife and I have identical 2010 Yamaha carts, except for the color. Three years ago both carts were picked up at the same time and delivered the next day. When I checked the oil in her cart it was obviously NOT changed, and dirty. Went back to the dealer to complain and ask for a refund and was told they "sub" out the work and I'd have to take the matter up with their sub-vendor. After that nonsense, I went to the shop and got no help at all. IMO, the dealer collecting the money should have been the responsible party, but how much time can one waste over a few dollars? I decided to always do that job myself in the future. It is quick and easy, as well as saving money. Needless to say, the next time I buy a new cart it will not be from this dealer who has multiple locations in The Villages.
I have purchased the $35 tune up kit that includes filters and plug, but no oil or crush washer included.
What dealer are you buying this all inclusive kit from?

Edit: found it here:
Yamaha Golf Cart Factory Tune up kit
Good deal!

Last edited by NoMoSno; 05-18-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:00 PM

Every kit I've purchased from the Villages had the drain plug crush washer. Your web you posted also has one.
Old 05-18-2017, 06:42 PM
Sage

Amazon.com : Yamaha G16, G19, G22 Drive Gas Golf Cart Tune Up Kit 1996-Up : Golf Cart Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

Is this a good kit? I have plenty of good synthetic oil already on hand. Guess I would need the washer.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:10 PM

Saw this post so I thought I would sign up and contribute.

I think its great that you want to do your own maintenance, the problem I see almost daily is lack of proper service. A proper service, will prevent the majority of your issues. The key word here is "proper" service. All golf carts have problem areas, these areas,if addressed in a service, can save you hundreds down the road. Your golf cart does not need an air filter, fuel filter, spark plug every year. Air filter and spark plugs, last years. Fuel filter, depending on how much you use your cart and where you fill up. 10w-30 or 10w-40 is OK. A good tech will be able to determine if these items need to be changed. Oil change every year....Yes, it is the life blood of the engine. No need to change the crush washer with the oil change. I read here some issues, but a good tech will rarely have an issue with it. Stripped drain plug- again a good tech it will never happen too. I see it out there, its because care was not taken, same like a stripped wheel lug nut.
Your car being an 09- you have other areas of concern that need to be addressed. Most times, these areas are not in any book, its learned. Also these areas can very from year to year. I see individuals paying for repairs, that if addressed during a service, would not have had a failure.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:57 PM

The complete tune-up kits are prepackaged and normally displayed close to the parts counter at the Yamaha dealer's shop. They DO include oil, drain plug crush washer (to ensure a good seal and they do crush and should NOT be re-used), gas and air filters and spark plug (which naturally also comes with a proper washer for the same reason.) I have purchased the kits in Ocala and in The Villages. Good luck in thinking the Yamaha dealers will do anything beyond what was stated on the work order. Perhaps one should take the cart in every several years and ask them for a complete check of those unstated, but unique, potential problems such as Clutch, Belts, Brakes and suspension / steering components. --- My whole reason for doing the tune-up myself started with a dealer who didn't even change the oil as requested. Over 50 years of working on street and track motorcycles has given me a good insight regarding some basics with simpler vehicles like golf carts. I have not ordered any kits from Amazon but three months ago 2 kits cost $74.96, including tax, at Yamaha dealer.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:29 AM
Sage

The problem with the tune-up kits is that they don't represent the correct frequency of parts changes and only include a subset of required maintenance parts. For example, changing the oil once per year may be inadequate depending on how many miles per year you travel. I prefer to buy oil separately. The air filter and spark plug are probably good for 10k miles, which will typically be several years. Also, the differential fluid will require periodic changes and the clutch may need a shot of grease. I find the crush washer is good for a couple of oil changes. The Yamaha owner's manual provides guidance on maintenance frequency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditka41 View Post
The complete tune-up kits are prepackaged and normally displayed close to the parts counter at the Yamaha dealer's shop. They DO include oil, drain plug crush washer (to ensure a good seal and they do crush and should NOT be re-used), gas and air filters and spark plug (which naturally also comes with a proper washer for the same reason.) I have purchased the kits in Ocala and in The Villages. Good luck in thinking the Yamaha dealers will do anything beyond what was stated on the work order. Perhaps one should take the cart in every several years and ask them for a complete check of those unstated, but unique, potential problems such as Clutch, Belts, Brakes and suspension / steering components. --- My whole reason for doing the tune-up myself started with a dealer who didn't even change the oil as requested. Over 50 years of working on street and track motorcycles has given me a good insight regarding some basics with simpler vehicles like golf carts. I have not ordered any kits from Amazon but three months ago 2 kits cost $74.96, including tax, at Yamaha dealer.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:48 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker1 View Post
A Yamaha representative told me that synthetic is fine. I have been using Mobil 1 10w-30 for several years. The owner's manual only specifies 10w-30 and API Service SE, SF, SG (which are obsolete API ratings). Any contemporary 10w-30 oil is fine.
I use Mobil 1 10w30 and have for the past 7 years. I change it every 4 months.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:54 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchase View Post
Every kit I've purchased from the Villages had the drain plug crush washer. Your web you posted also has one.
I've been changing mine for 7 years now and stilll using the original crush washer.
Old 05-19-2017, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shimpy View Post
I've been changing mine for 7 years now and stilll using the original crush washer.

I do 1000 oil changes a year and never change them.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:43 PM

I change my oil every year, but for the sake of interest.... My cart does not have an odometer, only an hour meter. It is a 2015 Yamaha gas.

For those of you with both odometers and hour meters, what is the relationship between the two.

On average, is an hour of use equal to 10 miles or so on the odometer??
Old 05-21-2017, 02:54 PM
Sage

Check your owner's manual regarding maintenance requirements. I change my oil every 50-75 hours of running time and use Mobil 1 10w30.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDenise View Post
I change my oil every year, but for the sake of interest.... My cart does not have an odometer, only an hour meter. It is a 2015 Yamaha gas.

For those of you with both odometers and hour meters, what is the relationship between the two.

Old 05-21-2017, 05:47 PM
Default Odometer and Hour meter

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulDenise View Post

Two 2014 Yamaha gas carts purchased same day Jan 2014

Cart 1
ODO = 5359
Hours = 319

Cart 2
ODO = 6177
Hours = 370
Old 05-21-2017, 07:30 PM
Sage

That's about 17 mpg as an average? Aka "the flash"
Old 05-24-2017, 08:56 AM

Thanks Steve.

I would have guessed something like 12 or 14 miles per hour, but 16 to 17 is interesting.

Amazing how well these carts hold up.
Closed Thread

Tags
yamaha, change, cart, oil, info

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.