Yamaha golf cart quality control has gone down the tubes

Closed Thread
Old 10-15-2018, 07:54 AM
Default Yamaha golf cart quality control has gone down the tubes

Yamaha golf carts have historically had a good reputation according to my research, but I have experienced a lot of quality control problems.

I purchased my 2016 Yamaha new from The Villages Cars. They have been good, but the cart has seen and is seeing quality problems.
1) Initially was getting transmission fluid on garage floor. Turns out the filler hole was incorrectly located. Need to use heavier transmission fluid.
2) Front wheel bearing failed - clunking noises. The Villages Golf Cars replaced - in warranty
3) Rain side curtain rivets along roof line failed. The Villages Golf Cars replaced free - in warranty
4) While getting side curtain replaced the tech noticed wear on brake cable - in warranty replacement (I never received a notice on that Yamaha recall).
5) 2 weeks later rivet failures on other side. The Villages Golf Cars replaced free - in warranty
6) Latest is accelerator spring. Received letter from The Villages Golf Cars - in warranty

When my 4/5 year warranty (Yamaha/The Villages Golf Cars) expires I will be on the hook for these quality control problems.
I don't have any personal experience with other brands so cannot say if other brands are better or worse. I would like to hear about other people's experience.
Old 10-15-2018, 10:35 AM
Veteran member
Default Golf Carts

[QUOTE=Arlington2;1590306]Yamaha golf carts have historically had a good reputation according to my research, but I have experienced a lot of quality control problems.

I purchased my 2016 Yamaha new from The Villages Cars. They have been good, but the cart has seen and is seeing quality problems.
1) Initially was getting transmission fluid on garage floor. Turns out the filler hole was incorrectly located. Need to use heavier transmission fluid.
2) Front wheel bearing failed - clunking noises. The Villages Golf Cars replaced - in warranty
3) Rain side curtain rivets along roof line failed. The Villages Golf Cars replaced free - in warranty
4) While getting side curtain replaced the tech noticed wear on brake cable - in warranty replacement (I never received a notice on that Yamaha recall).

Hi we have EzGo from AGC Carts NOW IN OCALA, Electric.

In 2.5 years, never a problem. The local problem you have is<<<,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,LOCAL.

Old 10-16-2018, 08:21 PM

Things added to the cart, are not a Yamaha Corporation issue, but who added those items on.

The transmission leak.....you were given a line on that one.

Front wheel bearing failure on such a new cart-....Super rare, the front wheel bearings on a Yamaha last a very very long time. I cant remember the last time I had to change any.

Warranty issues are just that, some thing they saw that needed changed. No big deal.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:26 AM
Gold member
Send a message via AIM to rjn5656

We have had 5 Yamaha carts since we moved. No issues with any of them.
Old 10-17-2018, 05:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn5656 View Post
We have had 5 Yamaha carts since we moved. No issues with any of them.
We just had my 16 year old Yamaha overhauled. Still getting me there and back.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:01 AM
Angry I agree !!!

I have a 2018 Yamaha purchased in May of this year and the front wheels are bowed out at the bottom. You can see how the tire is running on the inside tread. Sent it back and was told they all are this way. The Villages Yamaha said keep an open eye on the tires...

I have the Bluetooth Speakers and the system stopped working. Sent it back and was told the system was wired incorrectly. H U H !!!!!

Now as stated above, the spring recall. The recall stated to drop by any of the three stores to be corrected. Guess what... I live in Fenney !!!!! Drove to the gas pumps at Red / Gray Fox and there was a person changing the springs there. At least that saved me an AGA transport fee.

What CRAP !!!!!

This is my second Yamaha GC. Our first was a 2010 and never had any issues.....
Old 10-17-2018, 08:20 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,884 Posts

So far, fingers crossed after your post I'll take my Yamaha any day. I have the exact one that the OP does. It has serviced us well and I think it is at the 5000 mark. I change the oil and drive like a human. I also don't drive over curbs like a friend normally does and then wonders why several welds cracked on axle area items.

I feel sorry for the OP but maybe they got all the problems straightened out for him/her. I also check the tire pressure every two weeks, it's critical.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:23 AM

Yamaha did have a problem with rear diff overfill on 2016. Dealers were seeing a lot if this and had to make the correction.
Old 10-17-2018, 10:30 AM

Independent suspension is what you are seeing on those front tires. Look at other Yamaha carts and you will see that this is normal. Ask independent repair techs what carts they see fewer issues with and they will tell you Yamaha. Every wonder why all independent rental cart companies use Yamaha carts? Yes, most reliable by far.
Another thing is that we in TV use these carts in a fashion they were never designed for. With that in mind, ever wonder why every other cart you see on the road here in TV is a Yamaha? Right again! Yamaha is by far the best for how we use carts here in TV
Old 10-17-2018, 02:51 PM

Yamaha is the most popular here because the villages sells them. Outside the villages, Yamahas only account for 10 percent of golf cars sold. Club cars and EZGOs account for 40 percent each and some smaller companies account for the rest.

Par cars are the same way here. Go anywhere in the country and tell someone you have a Par Car, and they wont know what your talking about.
Old 10-17-2018, 03:28 PM
Email Reported As Spam
Default Golf Carts

[QUOTE=TechGC;1591061]Yamaha is the most popular here because the villages sells them. Outside the villages, Yamahas only account for 10 percent of golf cars sold. Club cars and EZGOs account for 40 percent each and some smaller companies account for the rest.

Hi. We have an EZGo from AGC carts. 2.5+ years and one item, a flasher needed replacement. It is so reliable and comfortable and it is great for sure. AGC moved to Ocala and so not sure about that. Businesses do compete etc.
Went into the local shop to ask about the one year checkup item. Well, they wanted about $155+ ? Or so and were vague about that. ? Asked two mobile cart guys about it, a checkup.
They both said: Ez GO electric, save your money, do nothing for at least 2 years. Great Cart. Also have the automatic water system, awesome.

Old 10-17-2018, 04:39 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Is that why there are so many newer Yamaha's for sale in the classifieds?

Tags
golf, cars, warranty, villages, replaced

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.