Yamaha Suspension

Closed Thread
Old 07-24-2022, 09:55 AM
Veteran member
Smile Yamaha Suspension

Is there anything that can be done on a 2013 Yamaha G29 cart to soften the ride. Especially going up and down the curbs throughout the villages between the various village gateway areas.

Old 07-24-2022, 02:26 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,074 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yabbadu View Post
Is there anything that can be done on a 2013 Yamaha G29 cart to soften the ride. Especially going up and down the curbs throughout the villages between the various village gateway areas.

Bigger tires and or letting some air out of the tires will both soften the ride a little bit, but letting air out will also reduce handling and wear the tire tread faster. When Yamaha introduced the quiet tech model (I think starting in 2017) they began making carts with rear independent suspension, which makes a huge difference absorbing bumps.
Old 07-24-2022, 02:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,151 Times in 2,249 Posts

Quote:

Is your cart "stock", then I would double check the tire pressure, I believe 22 PSI is correct for stock tires. Now if your cart has been modified (like ours), we have the 4 passenger mod with a fold down seat which has a stiffer suspension, so I am familiar with the stiff ride. We slow down or try to cross at a SLIGHT angle both of these lessen the bumps.
Old 07-24-2022, 04:22 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,347 Times in 735 Posts

Yes you can soften the suspension.

Monroe MA785 air shocks fit. You can make the shocks as soft or hard as you like. But, I would look at the springs first. Many of the Yamahas with the rear facing seat have the springs replaced with a stiffer spring. Return to OEM for a better ride.
Old 07-24-2022, 06:41 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,966 Times in 754 Posts

Slow down it's not designed like a car even though they are around $2000 less than the least expensive vehicle.
Old 07-24-2022, 06:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,074 Times in 2,743 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post

Monroe MA785 air shocks fit. You can make the shocks as soft or hard as you like. But, I would look at the springs first. Many of the Yamahas with the rear facing seat have the springs replaced with a stiffer spring. Return to OEM for a better ride.
Please elaborate, I am very interested. We have a 2014 two person Yamaha EFI. I can’t go into the garage to look because I’m up north, but as far as I know the rear end is a solid axel with no shock absorbers. If I could retrofit it with some rear shocks to soften up the ride I would be all over it? I love the cart, but yearn for a quiet tech because of the independent rear suspension.
Old 07-24-2022, 10:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,924 Times in 2,450 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
Please elaborate, I am very interested. We have a 2014 two person Yamaha EFI. I can’t go into the garage to look because I’m up north, but as far as I know the rear end is a solid axel with no shock absorbers. If I could retrofit it with some rear shocks to soften up the ride I would be all over it? I love the cart, but yearn for a quiet tech because of the independent rear suspension.
You will also be yearning to spend some cash…

You’re Yamaha golf cart has coil over shocks on the front and rear. The springs are built into shocks which sets height due to weight and socks absorb the suspension. You make be able to get market adjustable shocks to adjust shock and height base on weight. Now the tires has impact the taller the side wall the more cushion the ride, the shorts the side wall the more harsh ride. This where adjustable coil over shocks can help?

Last edited by Topspinmo; 07-25-2022 at 09:47 AM.
Old 07-24-2022, 10:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
Is your cart "stock", then I would double check the tire pressure, I believe 22 PSI is correct for stock tires. Now if your cart has been modified (like ours), we have the 4 passenger mod with a fold down seat which has a stiffer suspension, so I am familiar with the stiff ride. We slow down or try to cross at a SLIGHT angle both of these lessen the bumps.
Depends on size of tires 8”, 10” 65 or 50 series tires?
Old 07-24-2022, 10:40 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toymeister View Post

Yamaha have coil over shocks no leaf springs. It would have to be adjustable coil over shock. And another thing air shock do nothing cushion the ride the air shocks only adjust height the sock absorber cushions the ride, air bags does both.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 07-24-2022 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-25-2022, 04:45 AM
Veteran member

why in the world are you going over curbs??
Old 07-25-2022, 04:47 AM
Gold member

Can feel the OP’s pain.
Recently I sold a ‘14 Yamaha factory 4 seat cart because the ride was so harsh. It had a stiffer suspension and the seats were pretty standard.
I found that I was avoiding using the cart because of the ride quality.
I replaced it with a ‘15 Yamaha 2 seat cart which had upgraded seats. The softer seat cushioning made the ride
much comfortable (especially going over curbs).
An unexpected bonus, was that it also quieted
engine noise.
As far as I know the suspension is standard and I’m running 26 psi tire pressure.
A friend of mine was not happy with his ride quality, and checked out my cart seats…now he’s having his standard seats reupholstered.
So, another option is to improve/upgrade the seats!
Old 07-25-2022, 04:50 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowlingal View Post
why in the world are you going over curbs??
I believe he’s referring to the concrete transitions you have to drive over at an entrance to an area of homes.
There are quite a few around.
Old 07-25-2022, 05:44 AM

Contact, The Tire Guy (Andy Robinson) 352-434-2254.

All he does is Tires and Suspensions. Recommended by Willie's GC Repair.

FYI...he may be on vacation until the end of the July. He will be able to answer your question.
Old 07-25-2022, 07:11 AM
Veteran member

Quote:

I put some 3 inch foam pads on the seat of my 2009 Yamaha, under the slip cover, and learned to lean forward when crossing curbs. Better for the backbones and less knashing of teeth. Not costly or difficult to install either.
Old 07-25-2022, 07:45 AM
Default Golf Cart driving on Curbs

Do not understand why anyone would use a Golf Cart to go up or down Curbs.

Of course, it would be bumpy (duh) not only that you will as well damage your alignment.

On the few occasions while living in the villages (as we moved out of the overcrowded Villages 2 years ago) I would go either up or down a curb at a 45-degree angle. Of course very SLOWLY.

Closed Thread

Tags
yamaha, areas, gateway, village, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.