Yamaha Too Fast

Closed Thread
Old 12-14-2019, 11:11 AM
Gold member

Don't make any adjustments until the new one stretches out.
It will slow down as it stretches.
Adjustments can also be made on the pedal side.
Old 12-14-2019, 06:20 PM

Hello, just a FYI, I recently purchased a brand new Club Car Onward GAS Golf Cart. Prior to purchasing I did allot of research on carts and their speed adjustments - I initially wanted something that went around 23MHP. ALL golf cart manufacturers must make their golf carts with a maximum speed under 20MPH when leaving their factory, it’s the law they have to follow. Any reseller or owner who tampers with the manufacturers top speed (this can be done on most makes and models) and who modify the speed or change parts to increase the speed can be completely liable should an accident occur in the state of Florida, including several other states. Not only this, as soon as an accident occurs with any golf cart(s) in The Village, the police sends the cart(s) to be inspected and gets it verified to see if any modification were done on the cart, especially checking any speed modifications. If the inspection finds that the cart was modified to have an increased speed over the 20 MPH speed limit you are or can be charged. This finding also gets reported to your golf cart insurance. Your insurance now has the right to withdraw all coverage on your golf cart insurance liability because your cart was modified and exceeded the permitted speed limit through modifications. This is the case wether you purchased the golf cart this way from a dealer or someone private or if you’ve modified the cart yourself. Now you can be facing lawsuits from either a pedestrian, another motor vehicle or even another golf cart that did obey the speed limit of its golf cart. This is also true if you rent a golf cart with a home you rent. If your renters get in a accident, even though they are found to be in the wrong and if the golf cart gets inspected and its speed has been modified in any way, shape or form or the cart exceeds the legal speed limit of 20MHP, you as the owner of the cart can also be found liable. I was surprise to gather all this information from insurance companies, golf cart manufacturers and honest and knowledgeable golf cart dealers within the areas of The Villages. Just be aware, that the extra few MPH you can gain can be costly in the long run..... if you have a cart that exceeds 20MHP, be warned and verify the laws of your state and ask questions to your your insurance broker and the details in the policy coverage about Golf cart speed limits. There’s been a few post above regarding what’s everyone’s hurry anyways, leave a few minutes earlier and enjoy the ride. Stay safe everyone!
Old 12-15-2019, 08:41 AM

Thanks all for the input. I was able to adjust throttle cable about 3/8 inch and that seems to do the trick. When and if cables stretch I have lots of room to adjust up. FYI - their are many good speedometer apps available for your phone that are very accurate (and free).
Old 12-15-2019, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Whenever I took my cart in to get it serviced they always gave me a paper to sign so they could have permission to adjust it. My cart never ran over 20 mph ever. You know you can take it to the Yamaha dealer & have them do it. 24 mph wouldn’t bother me a bit. In fact I wish my cart ran at least 24 mph. You’ll never get stopped for going 24 mph. In my 8 yrs. I only saw 2 carts pulled over & I don’t know if it was for speeding or what. I don’t think you’ll get pulled over for going 24 mph. What is your concern?
I agree. I've also been here for many years and I've never had a problem with anyone's cart going "too fast." The carts that are a problem are those that go "too slow" on the MMP (16-18 mph) and don't recognize they are backing up traffic. Passing on the MMP is not that easy and oftentimes the extra speed is exactly what you need to safely pass these slower carts. I find it hard to believe that local LEO's want anything to do with stopping carts going 22-23mph. My experience is they would tell you they have a lot more important issues when prioritizing their efforts and public safety.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:35 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoPacers View Post
I agree. I've also been here for many years and I've never had a problem with anyone's cart going "too fast." The carts that are a problem are those that go "too slow" on the MMP (16-18 mph) and don't recognize they are backing up traffic. Passing on the MMP is not that easy and oftentimes the extra speed is exactly what you need to safely pass these slower carts. I find it hard to believe that local LEO's want anything to do with stopping carts going 22-23mph. My experience is they would tell you they have a lot more important issues when prioritizing their efforts and public safety.
I agree the part about going to slow but my cart a 2018 would only run 20 mph tops unless going down hill. The only thing is sometimes I would be going 20 plus mph. some carts would go around me like I was sitting still, some of these carts I know would be going at least 30 mph. Why?
Old 12-15-2019, 12:16 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,317 Times in 871 Posts

Quote:
Actually they will pull you over, not on the MMP that I know of but they will on the streets. They not only charge you for speeding but also driving an illegal vehicle and depending on how long they watched you may add illegal merge and reckless driving. Largest fine I have experience with (not me be but someone I know) was $620.00 and yes, he did argue with the officer so I assume some of the charges were a result of that. They also gave him 48 hours to have the cart adjusted. It is a small risk, but it's out there.

Berks County Pennsylvania
Old 12-16-2019, 11:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,880 Times in 2,426 Posts

Quote:
I wouldn’t want be speeding in the diamond lanes. If you’re going get caught IMO that’s where it will be.
Old 12-17-2019, 01:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoMar View Post
Actually they will pull you over, not on the MMP that I know of but they will on the streets. They not only charge you for speeding but also driving an illegal vehicle and depending on how long they watched you may add illegal merge and reckless driving. Largest fine I have experience with (not me be but someone I know) was $620.00 and yes, he did argue with the officer so I assume some of the charges were a result of that. They also gave him 48 hours to have the cart adjusted. It is a small risk, but it's out there.
True. You can get a healthy fine just by owning a golf cart that can exceed the limit. Doesn't matter if you were driving 10mph at the time when someone runs into you. The police will check your cart, and if it was set to go above the limit, you're screwed. Prepare to go to court and pay a hefty fine.
Old 12-17-2019, 02:24 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,244 Times in 360 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post
True. You can get a healthy fine just by owning a golf cart that can exceed the limit. Doesn't matter if you were driving 10mph at the time when someone runs into you. The police will check your cart, and if it was set to go above the limit, you're screwed. Prepare to go to court and pay a hefty fine.
Do you know of this ever happening? It would take an officer with a lot of time on his/her hands to go that far.

The government cannot give anything to anyone without first taking it from someone else
Old 12-17-2019, 02:27 PM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,753 Times in 3,629 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNorth View Post

All carts CAN EXCEED, it's just how they are set.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:33 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default You want to check

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyVet View Post
I'm not sure why that's a problem. There is nothing that says one has to "put the pedal to the metal" while driving around. Isn't that what speedometers are for? I assume the OP has one since they know exactly how fast the cart can go.
I for one like knowing I have that extra burst of speed for the occasional emergency situation. JMHO.
A golf cart is classified as a low speed vehicle. The speed limit by law is 20mph maximum. There are golf carts called street legal.
I think then the maximum speed it 30mp but then it needs to be registered, you need both plates and insurance. Rather than all the opinions, you probably should contact the police or DMV.

If, you are involved in an accident and your golf cart is capable of going more than 20 you are guilty even if you were not the cause.
Truth when have you ever seen anyone say there was an accident and it was my fault.
Old 12-18-2019, 10:39 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default Yes, it does happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
Do you know of this ever happening? It would take an officer with a lot of time on his/her hands to go that far.
In reply, yes, it does happen. Yes, as you suggest it is rare.
As to law and enforcement. Do you, do I always come to a complete stop at every stop sign? Proper turn signals? Never exceed the legal posted speed etc.
Closed Thread

Tags
yamaha, fast, 24mph, adjustment, diy

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.