Golf cart battery rejuvenation

Closed Thread
Old 02-29-2020, 09:06 AM
Default Golf cart battery rejuvenation

DIY GOLF CART BATTERY REJUVENATION??? has anyone done this ? or had the service done on ur cart batteries? before i spend $900 on new set of batteries, I want explore possibilities. My cart runs great, but when I plug in 12volt phone charger, the cart cuts out, i have checked charger, cord and used different phones does the same on all different combinations, Cart cart shop tells me NEED NEW Batteries , they test and said they only run for 30 minutes, I can take cart from Brownwood to Spanish Springs and back and it runs flawlessly 19 mph which is what the governor is set at. This is. 48 volt ezgo, with 6-8volt Trojan batteries which are 4 years old. Any help,or advice would appreciated
Old 02-29-2020, 02:46 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,931 Times in 2,175 Posts

Electric carts have some interesting wiring. I am GUESSING, but I think there may be a wiring problem with the 12 accessory socket you are using. Have you tried say a 12 volt trouble lamp, or some other 12 volt device to see if the same thing happens? If so, i would very carefully check (or test) all of the wiring associated with the 12 volt tap. I did some work on a couple of 36 and 48 volt golf carts, and found the wiring to be very confusing, especially with regard to "ground" connections. Also, did the 12 volt tap work before, did that phone charger work before?
Back to your question about your batteries, they sound like they are in very good condition, I think you have a problem with the 12 volt tap that is somehow effecting the electronic controls of the cart. If you can get an accurate wiring diagram for your cart, I would be willing to help you trouble shoot if you are interested. Send me a PM.
Old 03-01-2020, 01:28 PM

I agree, Nothing wrong with the batteries, Im going to say whoever tested the batteries needs more training and a new machine.
Old 03-01-2020, 04:37 PM

Yeah, if you are running roughly 20 miles with no loss of power, your batteries are OK. They may be on the downside of their life span but they are good.

It sounds like something is interfering with the throttle signal, or something that may be particular to that specific cart. That drain is minimal and should not noticeably affect the batteries.

If you would post the year etc. of the cart I may be able to help. Do you know if it has a factory or aftermarket 48 to 12 volt reducer?
Old 03-06-2020, 08:15 AM
Veteran member

Vx-6
Old 03-23-2020, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,813 Times in 2,382 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
I agree, Nothing wrong with the batteries, Im going to say whoever tested the batteries needs more training and a new machine.
You can buy load tester ( they don’t cost that much) check each battery some die early before others and drag the overall amps down. When I had electric cart I found two bad batteries. I replace them and my range came back up.
Old 03-23-2020, 06:18 PM

As a former battery tech, working for a NASA vendor, my initial suggestion is to purchase an inexpensive hydrometer

Test and follow steps in this article

I will follow this thread.

Good luck.
The Village Rockers is now forming. Stay "tuned" for further details about this new club for musicians, singers and spectators. Send us your name and email address. We will put you on our email list for news, updates, meeting times and playdates.
Closed Thread

Tags
cart, batteries, golf, charger, set

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.