10 Signs A “Service Dog” Is Actually A Fake

Closed Thread
Old 08-15-2017, 12:03 AM
Veteran member
Default 10 Signs A “Service Dog” Is Actually A Fake

10 Signs That A “Service Dog” Is Actually A Fake
by Amber Kingon August 14, 2017

You’re out shopping when you turn the corner to find a cute dog browsing the merchandise. Your first instinct tells you it’s someone’s service dog, but then something doesn’t seem right. People posing their pets as fake service dogs has become a widespread problem. Real service dogs can be any breed, their owners don’t always have visible disabilities, and they’re not required to carry any kind of identifying paperwork or distinguishing badge. This makes spotting the fakes exceptionally difficult, but if the dog is showing any of these behaviors, it’s most likely an impostor.

# 1 – They’re Being Carried or Pushed in a Cart
# 2 – They’re Not on a Leash
# 3 – They’re Pulling on the Leash
# 4 – They’re Barking or Whining
# 5 – They’re Sniffing Everything
# 6 – They Have Indoor “Accidents”
# 7 – They Steal Food
# 8 – They Look Nervous
# 9 – They Seek Attention
# 10 – They’re Aggressive
Old 08-15-2017, 03:38 AM
Email Reported As Spam

They are not wearing dog tags
They don't know how to salute
They don't whistle when a pretty dog walks by
Old 08-15-2017, 07:09 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

#11 - the dog bounds up to you, tail wagging, butt wiggling, smiling, tongue hanging out one side of his mouth.

However, since one is not allowed to ask for certification papers, noting how they act is useless unless you plan to confront. And even then, you can't do anything if the owner lies. Plus fake papers and vests are all over the internet. The law needs to be strengthened, and it will take us urging our congressmen to do it.

I could never get away with it. We have the neighborhood social butterfly.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:40 PM
Red face Re:How To Recognize a Service Dog

#1. Dogs are usually much more sociable than people. #2. Stop shopping at Walmart.
Old 08-15-2017, 03:53 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post

You’re out shopping when you turn the corner to find a cute dog browsing the merchandise. Your first instinct tells you it’s someone’s service dog, but then something doesn’t seem right. People posing their pets as fake service dogs has become a widespread problem. Real service dogs can be any breed, their owners don’t always have visible disabilities, and they’re not required to carry any kind of identifying paperwork or distinguishing badge. This makes spotting the fakes exceptionally difficult, but if the dog is showing any of these behaviors, it’s most likely an impostor.

# 7 – They Steal Food
# 8 – They Look Nervous
On a side note fun fact of the day.
1/2 of these behaviors also apply those that whine about it.

Chloe
&
Lulu
Old 08-15-2017, 04:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:

# 7 – They Steal Food
# 8 – They Look Nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
#11 - the dog bounds up to you, tail wagging, butt wiggling, smiling, tongue hanging out one side of his mouth.

However, since one is not allowed to ask for certification papers, noting how they act is useless unless you plan to confront. And even then, you can't do anything if the owner lies. Plus fake papers and vests are all over the internet. The law needs to be strengthened, and it will take us urging our congressmen to do it.

Excellent points.

While I have the utmost empathy for those that have legitimate needs and require legitimate service animals, I'm guessing that a whole lot of folks are taking advantage of the current laws...and are pretty defensive about it.
Old 08-15-2017, 06:43 PM
Sage
Location: NJ, NM, SC, PA, DC, MD, VA, NY, CA, ID and finally FL.
Thanked 4,624 Times in 1,765 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Excellent points.

While I have the utmost empathy for those that have legitimate needs and require legitimate service animals, I'm guessing that a whole lot of folks are taking advantage of the current laws...and are pretty defensive about it.

“To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.” Thomas Paine
Old 08-15-2017, 07:41 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdNoMore View Post
Excellent points.

I agree.
Old 08-15-2017, 07:42 PM
Veteran member

Quote:

You are very lucky to have that particular social butterfly!

My opinion is that there should be a federal law concerning service dogs where they wear a dog tag indicating they truly are a service dog.
And to obtain this type of tag, an owner would have to provide a doctor's form and a form from a veterinarian.
I am not referring to guide dogs.

This situation with the dogs has gotten completely out of hand.
Old 08-15-2017, 08:54 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
You are very lucky to have that particular social butterfly!

My opinion is that there should be a federal law concerning service dogs where they wear a dog tag indicating they truly are a service dog.
And to obtain this type of tag, an owner would have to provide a doctor's form and a form from a veterinarian.

Totally agree.
Old 08-15-2017, 10:25 PM
Sage

Quote:
...My opinion is that there should be a federal law concerning service dogs where they wear a dog tag indicating they truly are a service dog.

Quote:
Totally agree.
Also agree.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:11 AM
Sage

I know folks who have gone through the training and gotten a true service dog! These dogs are remarkable and well trained (even to the point of going to the bathroom). Not ALL of the dogs in the program graduate. They have to bond properly with their humans and both learn how to work together.

I also know some folks who have procurred their vest and "paperwork" via the internet. These aren't true service dogs!!!!! Their animals behaviors don't indicate the good training a 'service dog' requires!! I think it's unfortunate that some folks think it's a good idea to do this. Yes, dogs and other pets do serve a purpose of companionship but that's NOT the same as what a service animal does.
Old 08-16-2017, 07:54 AM
Sage
Location: Illinois, Tennesee, Florida, Village of Caroline, Sanibel, LaBelle
Thanked 1,312 Times in 545 Posts

I agree lots and lots of pets but there are really few trained service dogs. Some type of certification by a government entity would solve the problem but the tag should be LOCAL not Federal. The Federal Government has more than enough to be concerned about.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
I know folks who have gone through the training and gotten a true service dog! These dogs are remarkable and well trained (even to the point of going to the bathroom). Not ALL of the dogs in the program graduate. They have to bond properly with their humans and both learn how to work together.

I also know some folks who have procurred their vest and "paperwork" via the internet. These aren't true service dogs!!!!! Their animals behaviors don't indicate the good training a 'service dog' requires!! I think it's unfortunate that some folks think it's a good idea to do this. Yes, dogs and other pets do serve a purpose of companionship but that's NOT the same as what a service animal does.
Well said.

I believe that a human's love for their pet is a beautiful thing, especially as we age and are often living alone. I think both owners and their humans bring comfort and joy to each other and of course each has responsibilities for life. There are some people who for reasons of their own feel very uncomfortable around dogs and cats. It is VERY hard for me to understand as I get all silly and soft when I am around furries. However, when animal owners abuse the space of people who do not like pets then fur will fly. I think that moderation is the key, and common sense, and doing what we CAN do to be good parents of our little charges.

I am wary of all gatherings and marches and protests and outcries. WARY, I said, not solidly against all of them, but often said gatherings encourage extremism that doesn't help their cause.

Just my two cents. I am interested to see what is accomplished at the upcoming meeting in The Villages and how it all comes out. Hoping for the best outcome.

It is only in the last five years that we have had a pet euthanized and we all mourned the loss for a very long time. It is a huge and sad decision. Killing animals that could be placed in a loving home is very, very sad and wrong.

We all have our views and some are more moderate and some are more extreme. Some people are selfish pet parents, but most I know are caring and responsible and have good sense. Their furry kids are awesome.

(I realize this is off the subject of the thread but I have only had one cup of coffee)

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-16-2017 at 08:33 AM.
Old 08-16-2017, 08:24 AM
Platinum member

Service dogs are fake if:

(1) They are made of cardboard.
(2) You never have to pick up any poop after them.
(3) They don't bark insanely when the doorbell rings.
(4) They won't chase squirrels.
(5) They don't eat and drink.
(6) They don't lick your face.
(7) They don't get excited when you come home.
(8) They don't perk up their ears when they hear stuff you don't.
(9) They don't shed hair.
(10) You don't love them like family.

DISCLAIMER: I love dogs. I don't have a service dog. I don't object to service dogs. This is humor, albeit that is simply my opinion and subject to the judgement of each of you who read this.

Tags
, they’re, service, fake, dog

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.