After the Passing of a furry family member.

Closed Thread
Old 09-20-2017, 02:15 PM
Default After the Passing of a furry family member.

When our sweet little guy passed, I made the statement that I will not go through that again! 14 months went by slowly and I weakened so we went to a rescue facility and adopted again. That has been two years now and I now believe, that I will not go another minute without a furry friend living with us. If this girl passes, we will adopt right away. I have decided that I wasted 14 months of love and affection that could have gone to a doggy that wanted it, and that I needed as well. If one truly loves and gives proper care for a pet, both you and the pet win. I have informed my children of this intent and have their promise to continue love and care for our pet should we pass first. We traveled more during the 14 month gap, but lost 14 months of smiles, laughter and heart felt love than can only be gained by living with a dog. My advice to anyone in our situation is to adopt. And please, go to a shelter as these guys love unconditionally.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,661 Times in 727 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CowBubba View Post
When our sweet little guy passed, I made the statement that I will not go through that again! 14 months went by slowly and I weakened so we went to a rescue facility and adopted again. That has been two years now and I now believe, that I will not go another minute without a furry friend living with us. If this girl passes, we will adopt right away. I have decided that I wasted 14 months of love and affection that could have gone to a doggy that wanted it, and that I needed as well. If one truly loves and gives proper care for a pet, both you and the pet win. I have informed my children of this intent and have their promise to continue love and care for our pet should we pass first. We traveled more during the 14 month gap, but lost 14 months of smiles, laughter and heart felt love than can only be gained by living with a dog. My advice to anyone in our situation is to adopt. And please, go to a shelter as these guys love unconditionally.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:41 PM
Veteran member
Red face

In my entire adult life I have never been without a pet . . . Actually, multiple pets.
I am with your mindset 100%; I could never be without.

They add something to one's life that is beyond words.
Thank heaven for these little beasties. They make me smile a million times a day.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:42 PM
Sage

Quote:
What a great post. I agree 1000%.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:19 PM

Pepe was a mix chihuahua and who knows what else. He thought he was a pit bull, but was so gentle and sensitive with us. We will miss him forever.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:10 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Thank you for a great post. As much as we traveled, my parents did their best to have at least one pet for us wherever we lived. It hurt to leave them, but the comfort of the purr, wet kiss and tail wag made the new place a little more bearable and we always made sure the pet got a loving, new, hopefully forever home.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 09-20-2017, 04:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,167 Times in 439 Posts

Could not imagine life without our furry four-legged friends that love unconditionally.
So glad your life is complete again!
Old 09-20-2017, 06:09 PM

So many pets out there that so desperately would love & need a home, so much they have to give us. As painful as it may be for me to say goodbye to one, I have to remember what I can give another and what they will give me in return
Old 09-20-2017, 07:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,562 Times in 508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
In my entire adult life I have never been without a pet . . . Actually, multiple pets.
I am with your mindset 100%; I could never be without.

They add something to one's life that is beyond words.
Thank heaven for these little beasties. They make me smile a million times a day.
Same here. We've always had 2 pets the 18yrs. we've been together except the 4 months after we lost our cocker and yorkie within a couple of weeks of each other. We then rescued a shih-Tzu and a cairn terrier that had been raised together and after we lost the shih-Tzu 3 years ago, we rescued a morkie in her place.

We can't imagine what it would be like to come in the house and not be greeted by our "girls".
Old 09-20-2017, 07:27 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Quote:
Well said !
Old 09-21-2017, 07:09 AM
Gold member

Great post! We were without a pet for a little over a year once because hubby said, "No more dogs." Yes, we could come and go when we wanted and stay gone for however long we wanted. More free time for ourselves. But it was lonely. We ended up getting another one and then another. We may not get to stay gone that extra hour or two anymore, but we get so much more in return each and every day. Plus it lead me to a volunteer job that I absolutely love.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:43 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcrazorbackfan View Post
We can't imagine what it would be like to come in the house and not be greeted by our "girls".
We can't imagine what it would be like to come home and not be greeted by our two boys.
It's nice to know that there are others who feel their life is enhanced by having furry friends.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:34 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

We lost Sport and I was looking for another pet the next day and found Beau which looks like a mini-Sport. Many people at Doggie Doo Run Run were confusing the two dogs often talking about how Sport long after we had to put him down around April of 2014. Beau was at Pet Smart five days after Sport crossed over the Rainbow Bridge. We did go without a pet though from 1998 through 2007 or so which was extremely hard.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 09-22-2017 at 07:43 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 11:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by David114 View Post
So many pets out there that so desperately would love & need a home, so much they have to give us. As painful as it may be for me to say goodbye to one, I have to remember what I can give another and what they will give me in return
And please remember this.
When you adopt from a shelter, in addition to rescuing a bewildered pet,
you also free up a much-needed space for another dog or cat.
It's especially important now, when shelters are at full capacity because of Irma.

Last edited by Barefoot; 09-22-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 09-22-2017, 04:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,884 Times in 2,430 Posts

Quote:

Felt the same way after my Annie went in January. Then, my son ask us to take his dog, they have two small children and his dog in in his final years and about deaf. The 2 year old would not leave the dog along. Casper lost a lot of weight, stopped eating normally, and 2 year old startled him constantly, plus they both worked and the dog was home alone 10 hours day and in failing health. Long story short, after 15 years knowing Casper I couldn't let him just continue to fail. We took him and he's doing great. Probably the best mannered dog I've came in contact with. He rarely barks ( I've heard him bark probably 10 times in 15'years) don't pull on leash, let's you know when he need to go out, and Great around other dogs. Casper sleeps beside me where ever I setting.
Closed Thread

Tags
love, pet, months, adopt, living

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.