Barking dog

Closed Thread
Old 03-30-2011, 05:18 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

A friend of mine had a dog that just couldn't quit barking. It didn't matter what product was used or what kind of discomfort it caused, poor Maggie May had to bark. The need was greater than any amount of discomfort or punishment. My friend ultimately re-homed her. She is now in a home with kids and two acres of land and can bark to her little heart's content.

I used to have an Afghan hound that was a barker. I never knew it. After putting up with it for about a year, my neighbor finally told me she barked and barked and barked from the second I drove around the corner until I came back home. I'm just sorry my neighbor waited so long to tell me. The only time she barked when I was home was when someone came to the door, so I was clueless. For me, it was an easy solve -- let her stay in the house rather than in the dog run and she was quiet and happy.

It is not always irresponsible dog owners. Sometimes it is the dog. Sometimes it is easily solved once the owner knows about the problem.

As was said, dogs bark. It is part of their social life and it is part of their function to protect, so some barking is reasonable. Incessant barking is another thing and, hopefully, owners are aware of the problem and try to do something about it.

BTW, Lynn, you might trying keeping your Yorkie in an area where there no windows or at least where the windows are closed and away from the complaining neighbor. That might help. Also, it really isn't too late to crate train your baby and it really is a good thing to do. Dogs like their "caves" and will happily hide in one when frightened by things like lightning. (I know of one dog who runs right to the bathtub and stays in it until a storm has passed.)

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-30-2011, 05:21 PM
Default Not A Chance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
If you bring it to the squares, it will probably try to keep me from singing.
Not a chance! Plus, it only works on dogs and you DEFINITELY don't qualify!!

I have a microphone soap on a rope that I use all the time! hehehe When we get down, I'll bring it to the square and we'll have a duet! They may run us off, but TV is about living, laughing and having a good time! Right?
Old 03-30-2011, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
Dog poop! Don't get me started now . . . .

The Villages Florida
I love TOTV.

Thanks K9 for the PM on what to check on our dog who bit our son. Will certainly ask the vet on the next visit.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephine71 View Post
No I am not related to Fumar and how dare you say something like that to me you don't know me and I don't know you we all have freedom of speech and I spoke out of how I feel. I have many friends who have dogs and I love them but there is a place for everything and everyone and I am sorry to say the town square is not one of them....and I am flexible....I have had many dogs and cats and birds for my children whiile they were growing up but I never took them to places where they shouldn't be...And I think you have it all wrong this is a friendly town for people......Thats why we move here to make friends and enjoy our lives....
Hi Josephine,
Kate is my friend and quite a nice person. Fumar has a great sense of humor and if someone told me I was like him, I'd be flattered.

TV is a friendly town for people and dogs and other critters. Many of us consider our pets as parts of our family.

The times I've seen dogs on the square, they have always been well behaved and appear to be enjoying the time spent with their family. The have attracted pats and admiration and brought smiles to scores of faces.

I understand and appreciate your right to disagree and advocate for a change in the rules. Those of us who see it differently are not mean. We just appreciate the dog-friendly rules and find these rules consistent with a people-friendly lifestyle.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgbama View Post
Not a chance! Plus, it only works on dogs and you DEFINITELY don't qualify!!

I have a microphone soap on a rope that I use all the time! hehehe When we get down, I'll bring it to the square and we'll have a duet! They may run us off, but TV is about living, laughing and having a good time! Right?
haha. We'll sing til we're blue in the face.
Old 03-30-2011, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pturner View Post
haha. We'll sing til we're blue in the face.
Bee bop a lulu!!! Here we come!!!
Old 03-30-2011, 06:18 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephine71 View Post
Like I said before I will never win because there are to many dog lovers I feel they don't belong in the square and this will be my last remark on dogs ....It makes me think that people love dogs more then they love people and thats alright ....I love dogs but I love people more....
Old 03-30-2011, 06:26 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
Yes, Bare, I too am practicing restraint. Aren't we both so disciplined?
Old 03-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Ditto.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 03-30-2011, 06:30 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,658 Times in 592 Posts

I love dogs, LOVE dogs. My last two have recently passed on, had them since pups.

If a dog barks incessantly for hours, it's a problem, it just is.
it's rude and inconsiderate, period, and the owners need to find a solution.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:37 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post
I love dogs, LOVE dogs. My last two have recently passed on, had them since pups.

Old 03-30-2011, 06:50 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnN View Post

I agree John. Probably the dog has separation anxiety and needs to be in a home with people around. Or possibly with other pets.

I do know two people who have dogs that have had their bark removed. Because the dogs barked incessantly and they couldn't bear to give them up. I'm not in favour of bark removal, but the humane societies are awfully crowded with unwanted dogs.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:53 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
Yes, Bare, I too am practicing restraint. Aren't we both so disciplined?
K9, you are much better at restraint than I am. You always have pleasant and educational comments. I think I'm going to have to give up reading dog threads or else tie one hand behind my back.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:55 PM
Soaring Eagle member

K9

Great post!!!
Old 03-30-2011, 07:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 784caroline View Post
K9

Great post!!!
Uh-oh....now I'm going to make Ms. Manners very unhappy with me because of my new smiley. . .The Villages Florida

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.