Bishon skin problems

Closed Thread
Old 11-08-2013, 09:15 PM
Unhappy Bishon skin problems

We moved here from PA, and ever since we have been here we've had
our dog to the vet. numerous times for constant scratching, hair loss,
and also constant feet licking. She is on de-sensitizing pills and does not have fleas. Anyone have a Bishon or poodle type dog with skin problems here?. She eats Natural Balance Ultra dry.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Platinum member

Depending on where you live you might want to wash her feet when she comes inside, you might also want to not use your sprinklers in areas where she goes.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 11-08-2013, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by regalcat View Post
We moved here from PA, and ever since we have been here we've had
our dog to the vet. numerous times for constant scratching, hair loss,
and also constant feet licking. She is on de-sensitizing pills and does not have fleas. Anyone have a Bishon or poodle type dog with skin problems here?. She eats Natural Balance Ultra dry.
This shampoo linked is on the shelf at PetSmart...the dog will have shiny, squeaky clean coat with this. Groomers there know what to do with the right products and they have many to work with. They are really good.

Special and prescription dog foods (and ones omitting corn meal which many call the culprit) did not help. :

GNC Pets Natural Herbal Shampoo - Invigorating Eucalyptus Mint Scent - GNC PETS 1020873 - GNC
Old 11-08-2013, 11:44 PM
Sage

Food allergies can crop up at any time...with humans and pets. It's been found that grains in food can cause this. Animals are carnivores so need their protein from meat products.
Old 11-09-2013, 12:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I agree with Patty 55. Get a container of pet wipes, keep it by the door, and wipe your bichon's paws and underbelly every time you bring her back in from outside. Some people with small dogs even wash their paws off in soap and water.

Our golden has allergies to the grass and outdoors here that he never had in MI.
Old 11-09-2013, 06:31 AM

I would think this is a contact allergy... In addition to the baby wipes (much cheaper than pet wipes... get the unscented for sensitive skin), you might want to consider putting her on a simple antihistamine, like Zyrtec or Claritin (just not the "D" version)... We take our Wheaten Terrier to Dr. Kelly Vernon at Buffalo Ridge Animal Hospital. She is a fabulous vet - very down to earth - has lived in Florida for her adult life and understands the flora and fauna that can get to a new Floridian dog. We recommend her highly.... And they are very reasonable in pricing for office visits and tests.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:12 AM
Veteran member

Ask your vet about a medicine called Atopica. A friend of mine told me it was a miracle for her dog after many years of scratching, licking and hair loss. I told someone with a Westie about it, here in The Villages and she was amazed at the result - her dog became a normal happy dog and his coat came back. She told me he stopped all the scratching and was able to sit and relax with them on the couch again. It might be a powder or pill you put in the food and you have to get it through the vet. This was several years ago, so the vet would know about its effectiveness and side effects. I am only relaying the experience of two people I know who obtained this through their vet.
Old 11-09-2013, 07:47 AM

I'll suggest yet another remedy - distilled water. It sounds crazy, and the very well educated nutritionist (human) who told me about it just shook his head in disbelief. But he had a pet on which he had spent beaucoup dollars testing for and trying to control its allergies, essentially to no avail. He doesn't even remember where he heard about substituting distilled water for tap water but tried it and his pet slowly improved.

I relayed the idea to a friend who has a peek-a-poo with severe allergies. She's tried assorted combinations of antihistamines, cortisone injections, an expensive prescription drug that suppresses the immune system, special diets, local honey capsules, etc. She even replaced the carpet in her Villages home with laminate. The symptoms would lessen for a short while and then come back. She was open to trying the distilled water "treatment" when I heard about it.

Timing-wise, I know she saw results at 6 weeks and certainly by 12 weeks the allergies had disappeared. She took her pet off all meds and special diets. Her vet is skeptical.

Just sharing, in case someone wants to try this. It's certainly not harmful and is relatively cheap to try. You just have to be faithful and only offer the distilled water.
Old 11-09-2013, 01:37 PM
Platinum member

The reverse osmosis water in the machine is very good. If you are going to use distilled or reverse osmosis water you need to add a pinch of sea salt to put back the minerals that were taken out.

You all should really think about turning off the sprinkler. Put a container out there the next time it's going to run, would you drink it? Everytime the dog goes out it's licking this off his feet.

Sometimes you need to address the problem rather than just treat the symptoms.

Y'know that part of your brain that tells you "ENOUGH IS ENOUGH!" I think I'm missing it.
Old 11-09-2013, 05:10 PM
Gold member

I keep the wipes in the garage and when we come in we wipe our Bichon's feet, mouth and under his belly. The grass is usually wet in the morning from sprinklers and his feet are always soaked. We did have an issue with IAMS dog food but it wasn't scratching it was samonella so I make his food and about the only time he really scratches a lot is when he gets clipped. Last a few days then he seems to be fine.

Nothing so needs reforming as other peoples habits. "Mark Twain"
Old 11-09-2013, 08:02 PM
Veteran member

I don't know if you are familiar with homeopathy, but it is very effective witha animals. Dr. Wessner (you can google him) is in Pedro and does wonders with these kinds of challenges that seem to elude more traditional approaches.

LW888
Old 11-10-2013, 01:27 PM

Thank you everyone for your replies. My Bishon and I really appreciate
all your suggestions. We started wiping her paws from our walks and
Will check into Atopica. Have never thought of distilled water. So now we have some great ideas.
Old 11-10-2013, 01:33 PM
Veteran member
Location: Chicago, Arlington Hgts, North Aurora, Il. TV since 2002!

Distilled water is also good to help keeping your fur baby from getting stones and or crystals which Bichons are prone to. Water in The Villages is loaded with minerals.
Old 11-10-2013, 02:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

One other thing regarding turning off sprinklers in the area where your Bishon goes. It's still a good idea to wipe paws and underside regardless. There are allergens in the air that land on the ground and that your pup will pick up from just walking. Pollen is one. that yellow stuff that's all over the car is also on the ground.
Old 11-10-2013, 03:01 PM
Sage

My animals took a while to calm down from the move....plenty of exercise helps with that.
It would be very simple to try a new diet for your pet. You're paying a for high quality food, but if that is everything that goes in your dog's mouth, why not try something different? If there is something she needs and isn't getting, it might be showing up after a long time of eating the same thing.
I cook for my dog and add veggies and grains, etc. Her coat is usually luxurious and sleek, which I attribute to allowing her a bit more oils in the diet than in dry food. (I occasionally add some mayo, fish or veggie oil..which lubricates the digestive tract.
Check your pup's poop. If it is a bit hard and dry, adding some oil to the food might be a good fix. (as it is for humans with slow digestion...) and puppy will have a happy face.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.