Calling all Lab owners

Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2021, 10:59 AM
Default Thank you so much,

Everyone,
Thanks much for your responses. I do feel much better now. I do remember about reading in earlier posts about the palm of the hand on the street for 10 minutes. That sounds like a great test.
I'm sure those who have not lived in the cold winters of Minnesnowta, don't understand how hard the cold is on an older Lab's joints. It will be HOT, but much easier on her joints.
Not sure where we will be living. Have been down to the villages twice (Lifestyle stays), but we think we will rent for a bit to make sure where we want to live, and to wait for right property.

Again, thanks again, and I can't wait to enjoy the lifestyle you all talk about.

K & T
Old 01-04-2021, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterMomma View Post
We have Golden Retrievers who adjusted to their move from the north beautifully. Because they need to run, we go to Inverness every day where there is a leash free park with a safe (no alligators) man made pond and lots of trees so they swim and play for hours every day. I’m pretty sure it’s their humans who are having the tougher time adjusting to the heat.

Where is Inverness ???
Old 01-04-2021, 04:57 PM

We brought our 7-year old black lab from MD. She does fine in TVs. In the summer, we limit the time she is outside because her dark coat soaks up the heat. I'd say she is outside maybe a total 30-40 minutes a day when we have very hot days. Her long walks occur after sunrise and before sunset. In between, they are short walks of 5-10 minutes to allow her to relieve herself. BTW, we do the same for our Yorkie-Poo who also has dark fur.

Even on the worst of the hot days here, we have never experienced that the blacktop streets are too hot for their paws. I regularly slip off my flip flops and stand on the pavement in my bare feet to see if the surface is too hot. I've never experienced a surface which was too hot for my sensitive feet.

During the late springtime, our lab sheds a lot. A few months ago, I pushed the couch our from the wall, and was amazed to find we must have a third dog in the house. It's the only way to describe the large fur balls I collected.
Old 01-04-2021, 07:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DONS999 View Post
Where is Inverness ???
Go straight out 44 from the intersection of 44 & 301. It's about half an hour. It's called Bark Central. Bark Central Dog Park
Old 01-04-2021, 09:20 PM

We haven't spent any of the truly HOT months here with our 4 year old Lab, Finn. He's only experienced October and November- but suffice to say, they adapt- and do so quite well with a bit of help/understanding from their humans

There were lots of great suggestions already shared by fellow dog lovers. I'll add that a Coolaroo bed is nice to have on the lanai.

Original Elevated Pet Bed - Small | Coolaroo

Finn is an English Lab with a particularly thick, wavy coat. A well-meaning lady shared the name of a groomer and suggested I have my dog's coat shaved "so he'd be cooler."

Here's why that's NOT a good idea:

Should I Shave My Lab (+Science of Why You Shouldn't)

We did walks and dog park visits early in the morning (Atlas and Brinson Perry) when it was cooler- and walks in the early evening.

I never had the chance to look into dog parks or playcares with swimming pools- I imagine this would be quite popular since lakes and ponds aren't safe due to potential for gators.

While we're from NY, Finn is from Mora, Minnesota- about an hour north of MSP. It would be awesome to meet Blondie and her humans someday
Closed Thread

Tags
lab, it’s, coat, blondie, owners

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.