Cat Owners Responsibility

Closed Thread
Old 01-15-2020, 10:50 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsyburnsy View Post
Someone in Katherine Place has been calling their cat "Georgia" since the 1st of 2nd of January. Maybe the cat is lost and hungry? In any case, the information about the lost cat is posted at the postal building at Carolina.
Good point. I'm a pet lover, so I hate to think that a cat may be is lost and hungry.

Last edited by Barefoot; 01-15-2020 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-15-2020, 06:25 PM

If you're letting your cat out on a lanai that is only screened that is a big mistake. Coyotes will go through those screens and grab your furbaby in a heartbeat.
Old 01-15-2020, 07:49 PM

Move cats to a cat house- they will enjoy that.
Old 01-15-2020, 10:15 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
If this happens again we'll know, through experience, to check more thoroughly. It's the first time this happened and we were not prepared to deal with it at the time.

Regardless of whether it was the cat I've seen in the past or not...the point still stands.

Keep your cats inside your home, or on a leash. PETS (not ferals, not bobcats, not wild birds) do not belong on other peoples' property without the homeowner's explicit permission. If you can't control your pet, then don't have one.

Even if my cat doesn't tear up the screen defending against your cat, or if it turned out to be an owl...even if those things are true...

keep your cat inside your home, or on a leash.
There are many, many stray/feral cats in this area, enough to have a Trap/Neuter/Release program. I see one almost every morning on my walk. It comes from a golf course, crosses the street and goes behind another house. It is definitely well fed, but I know it doesn't belong to anyone. People put out food for these cats. It could be going to the back of that house for its breakfast.

Any event, I'm just pointing out that it may not be someone's pet. You might have just been a victim of the stray wildlife around here. I hope your cat is not too traumatized.

Do you think that many people let their cats run around outside around here? Honest question--I really don't know. I know I wouldn't, considering all the coyotes, alligators, and hunting birds in this area.
Old 01-16-2020, 06:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Do you think that many people let their cats run around outside around here? Honest question--I really don't know. I know I wouldn't, considering all the coyotes, alligators, and hunting birds in this area.
I do know some who moved here and their cat was outdoors back home. Some think that needs to continue to keep the cat happy. Sadly new homes are confusing after the move, and pets get lost.
There are four cats that have collars, and roam our area. One was so frightened She Allowed me to pick her up, and just melted in my arms. I returned her to owner. Not a good meet and greet, I got a earful for something that was not my business. Cat was back at my home the next day. Some either don’t care, or just don’t get it.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
There are many, many stray/feral cats in this area, enough to have a Trap/Neuter/Release program. I see one almost every morning on my walk. It comes from a golf course, crosses the street and goes behind another house. It is definitely well fed, but I know it doesn't belong to anyone. People put out food for these cats. It could be going to the back of that house for its breakfast.

Any event, I'm just pointing out that it may not be someone's pet. You might have just been a victim of the stray wildlife around here. I hope your cat is not too traumatized.

I've only seen one stray cat so far. It was definitely not feral, it was a stray (it had a collar). I've also seen one owl, and a neighbor says they've seen a different owl as well (one is brown, the other is white).

I've also seen a couple of dogs off their leashes - again, not feral, just stray.

I use stray in the traditional sense: it belongs to someone, but isn't with them or contained at their own property at the moment.

My cat would not react that way to dogs, so I already ruled them out. Birds, no idea. She watches the woodpecker in the tree from her perch and doesn't go nuts, and she's seen those white birds (egrets, or sand-whatevers?) pluck ants from our yard under her window, and she hasn't gone nuts then either.

I know absolutely positively she is not friendly toward other cats.

That's why I concluded it was most likely a cat, as opposed to anything else it -could- have been.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
I do know some who moved here and their cat was outdoors back home. Some think that needs to continue to keep the cat happy. Sadly new homes are confusing after the move, and pets get lost.
There are four cats that have collars, and roam our area. One was so frightened She Allowed me to pick her up, and just melted in my arms. I returned her to owner. Not a good meet and greet, I got a earful for something that was not my business. Cat was back at my home the next day. Some either don’t care, or just don’t get it.
If it roams onto your property, it becomes your business. Tell her next time it happens you'll take the cat directly to the animal shelter.

What we need, are leash laws extended to cats. Currently Florida law is that they are free-roaming animals. But currently, Florida law also has trespassing laws that are enforced.

If YOU allow YOUR cat to roam onto MY property without my permission, YOU should be held accountable for it. Your dog can't roam on my property, your kid can't roam on my property, you can't set up chairs and a table on my property, and you can't be on my property - without my permission. Why should your cat be any different?

If there's a Villages-located organization trying to get pet laws extended to include cats, I'd love to be a part of it.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
Keep your damned cats in your house, or on a leash.

To someone who lives somewhere in the general vicinity of my neighborhood:

Your cat came by my house, through my yard, and approached the open window (with a screen) to my office. That is where MY cat sits, inside, on her perch so she can watch the world go by and chill out.

Thanks to YOUR cat, my window screen is now ruined and we have to buy a new one. We will also never be able to keep that window open again, for as long as I have this cat. The single window in my office, where I do my computing and watch movies while hubby is watching TV in the other room.

Now I'm going to have to worry about this creature showing up outside the lanai when my cat is out there, or in the bedroom when she's sitting on the bureau in front of the window there.

If I see this cat again, I will report it to the police, and the local animal shelter. And if I find out whose cat it is, I'll be having a discussion about the cost to replace my screen.
Quote:
I've only seen one stray cat so far. It was definitely not feral, it was a stray (it had a collar). I've also seen one owl, and a neighbor says they've seen a different owl as well (one is brown, the other is white).

I've also seen a couple of dogs off their leashes - again, not feral, just stray.

I use stray in the traditional sense: it belongs to someone, but isn't with them or contained at their own property at the moment.

My cat would not react that way to dogs, so I already ruled them out. Birds, no idea. She watches the woodpecker in the tree from her perch and doesn't go nuts, and she's seen those white birds (egrets, or sand-whatevers?) pluck ants from our yard under her window, and she hasn't gone nuts then either.

I know absolutely positively she is not friendly toward other cats.

That's why I concluded it was most likely a cat, as opposed to anything else it -could- have been.
So, it may have or may not have been a cat. Right?
Old 01-16-2020, 09:00 AM

My understanding of TV rules is that cats are not allowed to roam free. Honestly, I don't understand why any cat should be allowed anywhere to roam free. Not everyone loves your pet nor wants their feces or paw prints or getting scared because your animal jumped out from under the car, etc. Rules of consideration for others should always apply.
Old 01-16-2020, 10:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsyburnsy View Post
Someone in Katherine Place has been calling their cat "Georgia" since the 1st of 2nd of January. Maybe the cat is lost and hungry? In any case, the information about the lost cat is posted at the postal building at Carolina.
I live at the end of Kathrine Place, and on several occasions we have seen a dark longer haired tabby cat walk past our house.
We have called to it, but it will not come over too us.
Just been to the postal station but could not see any notice regarding a lost cat.
If the owner of the lost cat is reading these posts, please PM me and we can show you the regular route the cat seems to travel when it passes by.
It looks in good health and from its visual condition, has found a regular food source.,
Old 01-16-2020, 10:31 AM
Sage
Thumbs up

Quote:
There are many, many stray/feral cats in this area, enough to have a Trap/Neuter/Release program.
I think there is already a program in place, but you'd have to find out who to call about it.
Contacting Angie Fox would be a good place to start.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:53 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,301 Times in 2,369 Posts

Quote:
It was "most likely" a very specific cat that I have actually seen for myself, roaming on my property in the recent past. Not just "a" cat.

And by "most likely" I mean...

"most likely."

And as I said in subsequent post:

REGARDLESS OF WHETHER OR NOT THIS INCIDENT WAS THE RESULT OF THE STRAY CAT, THE POINT REMAINS: KEEP YOUR CAT OFF MY PROPERTY.

Is there some part of this that wasn't clear to you? By all means, please feel free to ask and I'm sure I'll be more than happy to explain further.
The two posts just seemed contradictory...….no further explanation is needed.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:56 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,142 Times in 301 Posts

Coyote are canine.
Old 01-16-2020, 03:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,478 Times in 711 Posts

This fearless cat is staying indoors.

Surveillance video shows cat taking on trio of coyotes - CNN Video

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 01-17-2020, 06:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,845 Times in 2,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Number 10 GI View Post
Which cat tore up the screen?
Does matter, If the cat had collar was running loose. Cats always get free pass cause they don’t bark
Closed Thread

Tags
cat, window, screen, office, house

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.