Cats and Pools

Closed Thread
Old 06-16-2008, 01:29 AM
Veteran member
Default Cats and Pools

This is probably a really dumb question but never having a pool before and having one put in our new home in Hemingway, I've been worrying about my cats and whether or not they will fall into the pool? My cats are fascinated with running water and where there are water falls in the pool, I'm having sleepless nights now wondering if they will fall in!

Any comments from pool owners with cats???

Old 06-16-2008, 01:58 AM
Veteran member
Default Re: Cats and Pools

I had a pool in my house up north and worried about the same thing. One day, my Rupert was on the patio and wandered over to the edge of the pool. It seemed like he thought about it for a minute, but then jumped in! He paddled around for a while and then found his way to the steps and came out. After that, every time that he heard the water running in the bathtub, he would rush to beat you in!
Old 06-16-2008, 02:12 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanci2539
I've been worrying about my cats and whether or not they will fall into the pool? My cats are fascinated with running water and where there are water falls in the pool, I'm having sleepless nights now wondering if they will fall in!

Any comments from pool owners with cats???
Nannci2539, I was worried about the same thing! We're not at TV yet, but I hope to have a pool when we do finally get there.

Whether or not your cat will fall in the pool.... I think it depends on your cat.
We have a pond with a waterfall off our patio, and Baby Monroe (in the picture) falls in at least once a week. He likes to sit on the rock above the waterfall, and if a bird takes a bath in the pond the cat will launch himself at the bird and land in the pond. Sometimes he'll actually crash through the ice in the winter. Baby Monroe only has 3 legs, so maybe his balance is a little off? :dontknow: On the other hand, Tommy Boy also loves running water, but (as far as I know) he's never fallen into the pond. He's much too dignified for that... or else he's just a big scaredy cat.

Meanwhile, if you type "pet ladder" into your browser you can find sites like this one: http://www.americas-pet-store.com/pr...catid/262.html
We can line our pools with pet ladders! ;D

This is funny: 1rnfl http://icanhascheezburger.com/2007/0...swimming-pool/
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 06-16-2008, 03:57 AM
Gold member

Nance and anyone else who is interested, this is a rather informative and reassuring video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu6fVdAFGSI
Old 06-16-2008, 04:03 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan&Tom
Nance and anyone else who is interested, this is a rather informative and reassuring video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tu6fVdAFGSI
Thanks! It IS reassuring! I wonder if a cat needs all 4 legs to swim?
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.