Cats in TV

Closed Thread
Old 01-03-2013, 03:28 PM
Location: Ft. Lauderdale - New Castle,PA - Overland Park, KS - Palm Bay, FL - Village of Charlotte

Keep your cat indoors. We had a coyote in our backyard yesterday.
Old 01-03-2013, 03:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackieandCharlie View Post
Thanks for your encouraging experience with your cats. I am sure it will all work out. He is an old cat...he'll adjust, I guess. I bought him a leash with a harness but he HATED it (humiliated him I think). A stroller is a fun idea. I wonder if he would go for it???
I'm impressed with your devotion to your Tommy. The most important thing for Tommy is to be with his loved ones, he will learn to adjust. Too
many cats in TV are lost and never seen again.

One day I was out in my yard with the landscaper and Duffy was standing beside me when a huge hawk kept swooping down eyeballing my 4lb dog.
The landscaper was surprised at how bold the hawk was.

Welcome!!
Old 01-03-2013, 04:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Winston O Boogie jr View Post
I've seen cats roaming around only at night and I assumed that they were feral cats. The Villages is a dangerous environment for cats. As has been mentioned hawks and eagles circle all the time. If they go near the water, they are in danger of being eaten by a gator and I have seen a few fox around my neighborhood.
Keep your cat indoors if you want to keep your cat.
Don't forget coyotes...yep we watched a hawk swoop after a little critter the other day down here in Sanibel.
Old 01-03-2013, 04:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Our two cats, Mikey, Harry and Hershey love the Lanai. They watch the birds drink from our fountain and watch the geckoes running around outside and have a nice snooze on the furniture or in a patch of sunshine.

I bet Tommy will like it too. I think every house has a lanai.

Welcome home.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:55 PM

I don't know who or where the erroneous idea started that all pets had to be on a leash. In Sumter County, if the animal is in your yard or under your control you do not have to have it on a leash. "http://sumtercountyfl.gov/index.aspx?NID=110Animal Services
Show All Answers
1. What are the leash laws in Sumter County?
County Code 4-10 states that all dogs must be confined on owners property at all times or under direct control or on a leash when off the owners property.

Otherwise a citation will be issued for the animal running free."

There is no "leash Law" for cats.

Now, as far as covenants in the villages within Sumter County, go-read them very carefully. The same information contained in Sumter County's law also is contained there. No more, no less.

Our pets are kept indoor or on the screen lanai for their protection from people!!
Old 01-04-2013, 12:21 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadaboutgal View Post
I don't know who or where the erroneous idea started that all pets had to be on a leash. In Sumter County, if the animal is in your yard or under your control you do not have to have it on a leash. "http://sumtercountyfl.gov/index.aspx?NID=110Animal Services
Show All Answers
County Code 4-10 states that all dogs must be confined on owners property at all times or under direct control or on a leash when off the owners property.

Now, as far as covenants in the villages within Sumter County, go-read them very carefully. The same information contained in Sumter County's law also is contained there. No more, no less.

Our pets are kept indoor or on the screen lanai for their protection from people!!
A responsible pet owner will NOT let their animal run free on other residents' properties.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Show All Answers

The challenge is.......that homes do NOT have fences. so that means that if your dog sets his paw off your property than you are not following the rules. Invisible fencing is allowed but doesn't work for cats, they are leapers.

Better to do what others do and keep kitties indoors and pups on leashes or live in a courtyard villa with a walled in backyard and then you will have friendly neighbors who smile a lot....and THAT is why most of us moved here.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Show All Answers

There is a leash law which includes cats in Marion County and some of us are in Marion County. Check Chapter 4, Sec 4 - 10. As for being on your property without a leash.............most allow that, however they need to be under your control to ensure they don't go off. I don't know of any cats that stay within your yard if you are not out there with them, especially without a fence. Even six foot high fences don't stop most casts. So please don't jump on those of us who talked about there being a leash law. But leash law or not, you are responsible for your animal if it leaves your property.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barefoot View Post
A responsible pet owner will NOT let their animal run free on other residents' properties.
I made no reference nor offered encouragement to letting an animal "run free" on any property- with the exception of the owner's. I only provide legal reference to Sumter County and its leash laws. It is regrettable if anyone reads into that info as "jumping" on anyone's opinions.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Veteran member

I adopted my cat when she was 2 yrs old and she had been an outdoor cat. She adapted very well to being an indoors and never bothered to want to go outside. She loves lying on her kitty perch in front of the open window on the lanai and I have a stroller for her which she loves. I take her around the neighborhood and it is a real treat for her. When we are not walking, she uses it as her bed. She is now 12 yrs old.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:20 AM

In the UK my cat is an outdoor cat (if she can be bothered) in her TV home she is happy to lie on her window bed watching people go by, and in the Lanai she sits and watches the golf balls on the golf course out the back, she does have a leash and she does go for walks round the property when she feels like it she chases the lizards and frogs, she would love to play with the squirrels and snakes but is content to stare at them out of the windows.
Old 01-04-2013, 09:11 PM

Our cat has the run of the house and a locked lanai. I would not recommend letting a cat out just due to 'critters', flying and land bound. Keep your cat safe and spend more quality time with him playing games or just chasing him throughout the house.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.