Cavalier King Charles

Closed Thread
Old 03-13-2013, 10:13 AM
Gold member
Location: Chicago, Des Moines, St Louis, Fort Wayne -TV Wannabe
Default Cavalier King Charles

We are looking at getting a Cavalier King Charles puppy. Now you all know I am a Wannabe but we do plan on moving there.

Does anyone have one of these?
Do they tolerate the heat somewhat ok? Do they shed much down there or do they keep a summer coat all of the time? Do you check for ticks?
Do you walk them daily? Do you take them to the dog parks? (If yes do you keep them in the smalll dog area? Are the dogs there carefully monitored by their owners?
Do you live in a villa? and if you do is it because of playing with the dog? Is yours at all barky?
Does yours like golf cart rides? If yes how do you make sure they are secure in it?
Do you take yours to the squares?

Any other thoughts esp by those that own a Cav is appreciated.

Thanks again. S
Old 03-13-2013, 10:19 AM
Platinum member

I had a beautiful Cavalier King Charles spaniel for 8 years in Florida. Please check the health of both her parents - mine died at age 8 from congestive heart failure, which she inherited (I didn't know when I got her).
They do shed seasonally. They are pretty mellow and very loving. She used to ride on my pontoon boat with me so I think a golf cart should be OK if you use a halter style leash and clip it securely when moving.
I would not leave her out for really long periods of time in the summer - that's hard on any dog breed.
They are very sociable and good with children.
p.s. there are good Cavalier King CHarles rescue organizations too.

"Do no harm" (but take no sh**!)
Old 03-13-2013, 10:27 AM
Gold member
Default Quirky

Thanks for your reply, Yep I did know about the health issue and am being very careful. Also I don't plan on keeping it out by itself for any length of time.

Anyone other thoughts?
Old 03-13-2013, 02:23 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

We saw two King Charles Cavs at the strawberry fest and they seemed fine.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 03-14-2013, 05:33 PM
Gold member
Default ????

Any one else?
Old 03-14-2013, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith View Post
Any one else?

Have a good friend who has 4 of them, 2 she purchased, and 2 senior rescues. The 2 she purchased have more health problems than the 2 she rescued, but she wouldn't trade them for the world. Hers are not barkers, they run and play in the yard and go for walks. They live in Phoenix AZ, so they tolerate heat, but like any dog, you don't leave them out all day by themselves. Do need grooming, but she has learned to groom herself, since 4 can get rather costly. They are all sweet and extremely loveable and get along with everyone. Not yappy like many of the smaller breeds. They are rather expensive dogs to purchase (not the $500 or $600)........can run from $1500 or quite a bit more and even then you really need to check the breeding. And do not buy from a pet store.........they come from puppy mills. Cavalier rescue organizations are a great choice. Check out the breed standards from the Cavalier website. It will give you a good idea also of what they are like, personalities, good and bad traits, etc.
Old 03-15-2013, 04:11 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
We are looking at getting a Cavalier King Charles puppy. Now you all know I am a Wannabe but we do plan on moving there.

Do they tolerate the heat somewhat ok? Do they shed much down there or do they keep a summer coat all of the time? Do you check for ticks?
Do you walk them daily? Do you take them to the dog parks? (If yes do you keep them in the smalll dog area? Are the dogs there carefully monitored by their owners?
Do you live in a villa? and if you do is it because of playing with the dog? Is yours at all barky?
Does yours like golf cart rides? If yes how do you make sure they are secure in it?

Thanks again. S

I hope you find the one of your dreams and he/she loves it here.

The Villages Florida
Old 05-27-2013, 01:59 PM

king-jpg
Quote:

Thanks again. S
An Irish fellow has one of thoses that live nearby. Doing just fine in Florida. I find it remarkable. Loves totake a long walk in the evening when it cools down. Always seems to remain at the owners side. Never heard it bark. Older dog doesnt play much with other dogs. Very friendly and doesnt need that type of monitoring. The owner loves dogs and we have dubbed him the candy man because he like to give other dogs treats . Some dont like this(lol) . I dont mind
Old 05-27-2013, 04:03 PM
Veteran member

When I was a teenager, and before they were AKC recognized, I worked in a Cavalier kennel. They were the sweetest, most gentle, happy little dogs. What others have said is true about a high incidence of health issues, though. If you go to a rescue there are many lovely dogs out there needing homes and if you use a reputable breeder (and not a pet store) you can ask what health tests are done on the parents. Good luck in your search. I am sure you will have a lovely puppy. Post pictures when you get your new baby.
Old 06-05-2013, 09:34 AM

We looked at Cavs before getting a cocker. Loved everything about these sweet dogs. I have a friend who is a vet and said they are wonderful dog, but 95% will eventually have heart problems and need meds. Thinking about the cost and losing a pet early made us research other breeds. I'd call a local vet and see if they will give you an opinion.

(Keep dancing, ssmith!)
Old 06-05-2013, 02:03 PM
Soaring Eagle member

pressed go too fast. See next post.
Old 06-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default With a rescue you know what you're getting....

Cavalier Rescue USA
Old 06-06-2013, 06:46 AM
Veteran member

Pet Search Results: Adoptable Cavalier King Charles Spaniel Dog Pets in Orlando, FL: Petfinder
Old 06-06-2013, 08:40 AM
Gold member
Default great help everyone

You all have been so helpful.

Loved the pics Silvertoken and Gracie!!

We have purchased a puppy from a reputable breeder since we are still northerners.

The pup is only 2 weeks old so will not be able to pick it up for several weeks.

Gracie bought it in your home state!!!!

Beginning to wonder if I am crazy ....you know, the puppy stage and all is wonderful and a real pain too!!!!
Old 06-28-2013, 02:17 PM

New to this website. Just saw all these posts. We have a 6 1/2 yr. old Cavalier. We got him from a vet/breeder in our area, MA. He is lovable, does not bark, and loves coming to the Villages and riding around in the golfcart. He needs regular brushings, ear care, and we just started giving him a summer cut so he wouldn't shed so much, which took getting used to, but is soooo cute. He actually travels on the plane with us---he is small enough to fit under the seat in front of us. He is, however, looking forward to becoming a snowbird winter, 2014. Which leads me to my request-----Would anyone like to start a Cavalier Club? We will be in the Villages mid-Sept.--mid-Oct. and then again mid-Dec. thru mid.-April. We would love to meet other Cavalier owners. We live in Sunset Pointe and have seen a couple there. Please email me here or privately. stclark52@comcast.net. THX
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.