Contract for dog door installation

Closed Thread
Old 08-27-2019, 11:18 AM
Default Contract for dog door installation

Moving in soon and I will need a dog door installed for an extra large dog. I prefer to have a through the wall door installed and this is a concrete block construction.

I would appreciate recommendations for a contractor to cut the hole (without cutting wires or pipes) and install the dog door.

TIA
Old 08-28-2019, 08:27 AM
Sage

unless this is opening into a bird cage, you might want to reconsider. Although, it might be an interesting wakeup call when a bobcat or coyote waltzes in at 3 AM looking for a snack.
Old 08-28-2019, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulligan View Post
unless this is opening into a bird cage, you might want to reconsider. Although, it might be an interesting wakeup call when a bobcat or coyote waltzes in at 3 AM looking for a snack.
You obviously do not have a Great Pyrenees. A bobcat or coyote waltzing in would quickly have second thoughts, or would turn into a snack. GPs are known for being great live stock guard dugs because of their extremely aggressive protective nature.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,593 Times in 5,190 Posts

I would suggest a dog door with a key fob, so only your dog can enter. Otherwise, you don't know what or who may come in.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I would suggest a dog door with a key fob, so only your dog can enter. Otherwise, you don't know what or who may come in.
I understand, and we are considering those. Mainly, at this point we are looking for someone that can give us a ball park idea of what cutting a hole in the concrete block wall will entail and cost.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,593 Times in 5,190 Posts

I think you may need two contractors, one to cut the opening and another to install the door. I would check with T&D Concrete or a masonry contractor to cut the hole. It probably needs to be cut out with a diamond saw, and possibly reinforced with a wood frame. I think any general contractor can do it, but it may be difficult to find one who is willing to do it.
Old 08-28-2019, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy123 View Post
I think you may need two contractors, one to cut the opening and another to install the door. I would check with T&D Concrete or a masonry contractor to cut the hole. It probably needs to be cut out with a diamond saw, and possibly reinforced with a wood frame. I think any general contractor can do it, but it may be difficult to find one who is willing to do it.
Thanks, I will check with T & D.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:35 PM
Sage
Thanked 6,119 Times in 2,237 Posts

I am not sure but both Lowe's and Home Depot sell these, they MAY have installers. As for piping, wiring, etc., if you are in Sumter County, you can go to the building department in the Sumter County office (Pinellas Plaza, copper topped building). They can email you the entire set of plans, this will give you an idea of what might be in the wall.
One other word of caution, I have a concrete block wall house, and have found a few areas where the wall was filled with concrete, so you may need to drill some test holes to see if you have filled block or hollow block in your specific location. Make sure any wood used is TREATED to avoid termites.
As noted above, the doggie door should never go outside, but into a screened lanai or birdcage should be acceptable, and this needs to be lockable if a person or other animal might get in.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villagetinker View Post
As noted above, the doggie door should never go outside, but into a screened lanai or birdcage should be acceptable, and this needs to be lockable if a person or other animal might get in.
I think I understand the concern here, of wild animals or undesirable people gaining access to the house.

However, that misses the point of allowing the dog(s), Great Pyrenees, to the yard both the relieve themselves and to deter any wild animals or people that might be in our yard. The Great Pyrenees is a giant bread dog, and a natural guard dog, used widely to protect flocks and herds from wild animals, etc.

I would personally feel safer with my dog able to get into the yard.
Old 08-28-2019, 03:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
I think I understand the concern here, of wild animals or undesirable people gaining access to the house.

However, that misses the point of allowing the dog(s), Great Pyrenees, to the yard both the relieve themselves and to deter any wild animals or people that might be in our yard. The Great Pyrenees is a giant bread dog, and a natural guard dog, used widely to protect flocks and herds from wild animals, etc.

I would personally feel safer with my dog able to get into the yard.
How is a Great Pyrenees against alligators or rattlesnakes? The second week we were here in a new CYV my neighbor found a rattlesnake in his garage. Since we keep our garage door open for the laundry, I immediately had horizontal sliders installed. One question, are you getting 'Invisible Fence' or is your dog trained to stay on your property. If he leaves your property, the dog falls under the leash law.

The Villages Florida

The Villages Florida

What are the leash laws in Sumter County?

County Code 4-10 states that all dogs must be confined on owners property at all times or under direct control or on a leash when off the owners property. Otherwise a citation will be issued for the animal running free.

We sometimes walk on Odessa Circle in Tamarind Grove. It's an oval that is 7/10 of a mile around. The home at 2149 Odessa Circle has a 175 pound black & white Great Dane, and they have invisible fence all the way to the front curb. It's a scary sight walking 10' from that dog when he's standing at the front of the home. Great Pyrenees don't look as scary, but ever since I was bitten by a German Shepherd when I was a kid playing outside, I've always been leery of big dogs I don't know.

The Villages Florida
Old 08-30-2019, 07:47 AM

An invisible fence does not constitute control. I have seen many dogs, my lab included, go right through it when overly excited.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:00 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,954 Times in 1,160 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacjag View Post
An invisible fence does not constitute control. I have seen many dogs, my lab included, go right through it when overly excited.
Plus an Invisible Fence only keeps your dog in the yard, it doesn't keep other animals out of your yard, which was what I was trying to say. Besides other animals, if this is a big enough dog door, I would be very worried about 2 legged animals that walk upright. Don't think TV is completely safe, just do a search about home break-ins.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_W View Post
Plus an Invisible Fence only keeps your dog in the yard, it doesn't keep other animals out of your yard, which was what I was trying to say. Besides other animals, if this is a big enough dog door, I would be very worried about 2 legged animals that walk upright. Don't think TV is completely safe, just do a search about home break-ins.
I understand your concerns about safety. If we had a Shih Tzu, I would be more concerned. But we have a Giant Great Pyrenees which has spent his life as a successful LGD (Livestock Guard Dog). Seriously, if someone should attempt to "sneak in" while we sleep or are out, crawling in through the dog door would be a seriously poor quality of life choice.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:05 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,875 Times in 949 Posts
Default You state extra large dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martian View Post
Moving in soon and I will need a dog door installed for an extra large dog. I prefer to have a through the wall door installed and this is a concrete block construction.

I would appreciate recommendations for a contractor to cut the hole (without cutting wires or pipes) and install the dog door.

TIA
I would think long and hard before doing it. Extra large dog will be a large opening. Security issues.

I would also suggest you check and understand the leash laws.

Also, your PET, is likely not much of a match to a coyote. a bob cat, a snake, a car or a neighbor tired of having your dog in their yard.

My point is simply think before you commit.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:29 AM
Sage

IF your dog is used to having free reign outside then this community may not be a happy place for him or you. Think that's what people are trying to tell you. Understood, your dog is large but know that living in FL isn't the same as "up north". I've seen people ask about letting their dogs run and also swim, as theirs loves the water. Again...in that instance this community and most in FL would not be a great place for that. There have been plenty of stories re: pets posted in the 10 yrs we've lived here, where the out-come wasn't so pleasant.
Closed Thread

Tags
door, dog, installed, recommendations, install

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.