Do you have more than one dog???

Closed Thread
Old 01-16-2009, 11:12 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts
Default Do you have more than one dog???

We are in the process of getting a new dog to replace the one that recently passed over the rainbow bridge. We are, AGAIN, going to a rescue where we have the last two times. This time we are contemplating the possibility of two. We have only had Dalmatians for the past 20 years and will be getting Dalmatian(s) again this time.
If you have two can you share why? If you had to do it again would you still have two? Any other comments/suggestions will be appreciated. I know it is double the expense...that's the easy part.

BTK
Old 01-16-2009, 01:01 PM
Gold member

We have two mixed breed dogs that we saved from our local dog pound up north. One is 15 and the other is 8. Both are wonderful pets. My wife's parents lived with us until they passed away in 1997, so our 15 yr old had constant company for her 1st three years with us. Our 15 yr old had a hard time getting used to being alone during the day so we decided to get her company. She ignored the new dog for three days and then, overnight, they became buddies. It has worked out well for them and us, but we now have the concern of the age difference and how they will react once one of them is gone.
Having said that we would get two dogs again but this time we would try to get the ages much closer together and we would also rescue again.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:28 PM
Sage

I would always have 2 dogs rather then just one. They are such good company for each other. When we go away for a day I dont feel near the guilt that I would if I left one by itself.

You might think that they really dont care one way or the other, of Course if a dog has been the "Only dog" since it was a pup it doesnt know the difference but When I take one dog to the groomer or vet and come home, the other one is overjoyed to see her again. Since dogs are pack animals I believe they are more content with another dog around. If they have never been with another dog, they consider you part of their pack and leaving them for any length of time can be very upsetting for them.

Just MHO from observing over the years.

There is no difficulty on earth that enough love will not conquer.
Old 01-16-2009, 05:56 PM
Platinum member
Default Twice The Love

Twice the love from the dogs when I get in the dog house which is often. No comments needed thank you.
Old 01-16-2009, 07:21 PM
Sage

Absolutely, two dogs, that's the only way to go.

Our 70 lb dog and our 10 lb dog are best buddies. They do everything together and hate to be apart.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Julie

We have two mixed breeds we adopted at different times. I would definitely it all over again. Even though we don't leave them home alone too often, when we do it makes us feel better that they have each other to play with and guard their house.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:03 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by billethkid View Post
We are in the process of getting a new dog ... We are, AGAIN, going to a rescue where we have the last two times. BTK
Bless your heart for going to a Pet Rescue. Most of the dogs at Doggie Doo Run Run have been rescued. People sometimes think that rescue dogs are all "problem dogs". Not true! There are many wonderful stories and happy endings.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:20 AM
Sage

Amen!!!!

Old 01-17-2009, 12:28 PM
Julie

Quote:
People sometimes think that rescue dogs are all "problem dogs". Not true! There are many wonderful stories and happy endings.
Hear! Hear!

My experiences with rescued dogs is that they seem to know they are rescued from whatever heck they were living and are incredibly GRATEFUL to have a new home with people who show them unconditional love.
Old 01-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie View Post
Hear! Hear!

My experiences with rescued dogs is that they seem to know they are rescued from whatever heck they were living and are incredibly GRATEFUL to have a new home with people who show them unconditional love.
Julie, my Vet in Canada believes rescued dogs and cats make the best pets because they are truly grateful.

I am always touched and thankful when someone takes one of these poor, discarded creatures into their home.
Old 01-17-2009, 06:49 PM
Gold member

We usually have had two pets at the same time for the reasons stated above. What I would like to add is that I don't think it matters if it is two dogs, two birds, two cats, one of each, I think domesticated animals, like company. Two is better than one from their view point.
Old 01-17-2009, 09:08 PM
Sage

Susan, you are so right about domestic animals prefering the company of another.

Birds in particular are such bonding creatures. If there is another bird around most likely it will not bond with its human. Case in point:

I had a female parrot that bonded with Bernie.(they seem to know the sexual difference). It just hated me and would try to destroy me every chance it got, drawing blood on many ocassions. After a while I got smart and steered clear of Tinker. This really tore me up because she was my bird and I wanted to interact with her. In the end I had to give her up but my point being that birds are very bonding and sometimes they will even bond with an object inside their cage. I sure wish I had been the object of her affection.

Old 01-22-2009, 09:44 AM

I think this depends on the circumstances. I have had 3 dogs back in CA for the last 15 years. The 2 older and bigger dogs past away and left my doxie alone. She seemed to do fine. Because we were planning to retire we did not replace the big dogs. We just moved into the Villages and have my mom's doxie also (my dogs brother). What a difference in maintenance. Before it was so easy to go somewhere, so much less poop. Two are much more agressive with other dogs. They are cute together, but I am not convinced that mine is that upset when she gets all my attention. Just my two cents.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:12 PM
Banned

Having two dogs is just logical. Dogs are pack animals, and leaving one alone only causes the dog anxiety and that usually results in damage of some kind sooner or later. With two, one becomes the ad hoc Alpha and neither dog wants to make a mistake in front of the other.

Also, can you imagine being the only human in a family of alien beings? how lonely is that, regardless of how nice they treat you?
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.