Invisible Fences = Safety Nets for Dogs

Closed Thread
Old 11-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Thumbs up Invisible Fences = Safety Nets for Dogs

I noticed the UPS trucks are rolling and it reminded me of a close call last year we had. We had a little issue with our dog who loves to go for rides in anything...cars/carts and now UPS trucks. One day we received a package from our friendly carrier, I opened the door and whoosh out he ran across the street jumping into the truck. Our street at the time was pretty busy, and the way contractors speed their trucks up and down it was a miracle he wasn't flattened. I knew I had to do something about this so I called Dog Watch Hidden Fences (352-351-3642) from an advertisement in the Daily Sun. They came out and gave us a quote which was surprisingly reasonable. They installed the invisible fence around our yard, explained how it worked, stayed to start training and within a few weeks our little free-rider was stopping without any verbal warnings within his "zone".
I highly recommend this company, they are very prompt when you call, offer to assist in the trainings, and make any repairs for times the line gets cut because of...well accidents MAY happen while gardening.
So if you have ever wondered if an invisible fence was for you, we HIGHLY recommend installing and using DogWatch Hidden Fences for the safety of your pets.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:55 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBarkley View Post
I noticed the UPS trucks are rolling and it reminded me of a close call last year we had. We had a little issue with our dog who loves to go for rides in anything...cars/carts and now UPS trucks. One day we received a package from our friendly carrier, I opened the door and whoosh out he ran across the street jumping into the truck. Our street at the time was pretty busy, and the way contractors speed their trucks up and down it was a miracle he wasn't flattened. I knew I had to do something about this so I called Dog Watch Hidden Fences (352-351-3642) from an advertisement in the Daily Sun. They came out and gave us a quote which was surprisingly reasonable. They installed the invisible fence around our yard, explained how it worked, stayed to start training and within a few weeks our little free-rider was stopping without any verbal warnings within his "zone".
I highly recommend this company, they are very prompt when you call, offer to assist in the trainings, and make any repairs for times the line gets cut because of...well accidents MAY happen while gardening.
So if you have ever wondered if an invisible fence was for you, we HIGHLY recommend installing and using DogWatch Hidden Fences for the safety of your pets.
I totally agree with your recommendation. Dog Watch is a great company. In 2010 we moved from our CYV to a house. We had an invisible fence installed to contain our 10 lb dog and our 70 lb dog. Prior to speaking to Dog Watch, I thought invisible fences were inhumane. But I quickly learned that the secret is all in the training ... if properly trained, dogs will never experience a correction. Training was made easy with frequent visits from Dog Watch. Even the ducks that waddle up from the pond to tease my 70 lb dog are now safe.

Here is something I find really amazing. After six months away, when we return to The Villages, we don't even have to put collars on the dogs so that they get a warning beep to stay away from the lot line. Without collars, they still remember the boundaries! (Although I do Definitely recommend collars at all times ... that was just a little experiment).

But please remember, if you have an invisible fence, dogs still need to be supervised when outside!! Predators can still come onto the property.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:08 PM
Gold member

Question please.

I realize the dogs are trained with the limits of the fence and the collars. However, if they really wan to run, say after another animal, the fence will not stop them.

Have you found this to be a problem at all?
Old 11-08-2012, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugotme View Post
Question please. I realize the dogs are trained with the limits of the fence and the collars. However, if they really wan to run, say after another animal, the fence will not stop them. Have you found this to be a problem at all?
I was told when I got my Weimaraner that the breed is never to be trusted with an invisible fence because their instinct for chasing birds and game is so strong. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to train him to respect the fence. He never goes near the boundary no matter what the temptation.

However, I always supervise my dogs when they are outside. The invisible fence allows me to have them off-leash in our yard, but they are never left alone there.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:40 PM
Sage

Could someone post an idea of price? Have had invisible fences before and know how great they are,but cost may be an issue - so what did you pay? I remember the bulk of the charge for the collars so I don't think lot size would make too much of a differnence. Any info would be appreciated. I learned early on with our Great Dane if we went somewhere else for a vacation or whatever all I had to do was put up the flags and he got it. They are really an incredible training tool to keep your dog in the yard with you.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Question please. I realize the dogs are trained with the limits of the fence and the collars. However, if they really wan to run, say after another animal, the fence will not stop them. Have you found this to be a problem at all?
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike42 View Post
I was told when I got my Weimaraner that the breed is never to be trusted with an invisible fence because their instinct for chasing birds and game is so strong. I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to train him to respect the fence. He never goes near the boundary no matter what the temptation. However, I always supervise my dogs when they are outside. The invisible fence allows me to have them off-leash in our yard, but they are never left alone there.
I have exactly the same comments as Bike42. We've never found that our dogs have the slightest desire to go through the invisible fence. And of course, dogs must be supervised at all times. Our dogs were easily trained. Before training, our big dog would chase ducks that came up the hill. After training, it was like the ducks were suddenly invisible.

I do believe that some dogs, like greyhounds, may be more difficult to train. Of course, there are no guarantees. There may well be some independent hunting-type dogs that might venture through the fence if a temptation becomes irrestible. But I believe if enough time is spent on the training process, the dog totally gets the idea of the boundary.

By the way, the current to the fence is not activated until after the training is completed. The dogs are not trained by punishment.They are trained to avoid the boundaries when they hear a warning beep.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:42 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Our experiences with our past and present dogs with the invisible fence have been great. Both our dogs being chocolate lab and chocolate lab / german shorthair mix both respected their boundaries even though the neighbors cats torment them by sitting just outside the zone. The only time our present dog has went thru the zone was when I failed to replace the battery in his collar. He just stood in the street confused and came back in the yard when I called him. Lesson learned about that.We definately will be installing ours when we make the move to TV.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Question please.

I realize the dogs are trained with the limits of the fence and the collars. However, if they really wan to run, say after another animal, the fence will not stop them.

Have you found this to be a problem at all?
I have not and many dogs have walked by even with people talking to him as they pass. During our training he once ran through it, I called DogWatch and they upped the level of correction in the collar, and we did more training. This was all early in the training process and we haven't had any regressions. Now there is no guarantee or anything to prevent a dog from charging through the fence, which is why you should never leave them outside without supervision. If I am out and see something really tempting for him to want to run after, all I have to say is "be careful" in a warning voice and he stops, I guess because I made him "remember" that there is a boundary.
Old 11-09-2012, 08:35 AM
Sage

Cost???
Old 11-09-2012, 08:39 AM

About the prices, I price compared and DogWatch was a good price, if you call them they will give you a free quote. If it is too high, there are DIY kits at PetSmart, but you won't get the excellent training, and upkeep that they provide. The number is: 352-351-3642.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:15 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to DonH57

Anytime our dog is out I'm out there with him too. He is usually with me when I'm out doing yard work or tinkering in the garage.
Old 11-09-2012, 02:32 PM
Send a message via Skype™ to Joaniesmom

I just had Dog Watch install an invisible fence along the back of our golf-course-backing CYV. (No wall there, just a low picket fence.)They arrived quickly and did a very nice job. You would never have know they had been here. I was amazed at how quickly my tiny dog adjusted to the fence. It only took about three days and she never got "tingled." All it took was the audible signal and she stopped. We never let her out unsupervised, but it is nice to be able to take my eyes off her for a few minutes. I was very nervous about this whole thing, but now I'm a believer.

Joanie's mom
Pennsylvania, Ohio, The Villages
So happy to be here!
Old 11-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaniesmom View Post
I just had Dog Watch install an invisible fence along the back of our golf-course-backing CYV. (No wall there, just a low picket fence.)They arrived quickly and did a very nice job. You would never have know they had been here. I was amazed at how quickly my tiny dog adjusted to the fence. It only took about three days and she never got "tingled." All it took was the audible signal and she stopped. We never let her out unsupervised, but it is nice to be able to take my eyes off her for a few minutes. I was very nervous about this whole thing, but now I'm a believer.
I'm so glad that you and your little dog had a positive experience with Dogwatch. I was also very nervous when I considered an invisible fence. I actually tried the unit on my wrist before I put it on the dogs. It was a surprise "tingle" as opposed to a horrible punishment.

The training is so important! Yes, there are units you can purchase cheaper. But the training is designed to prevent them from ever needing a correction. I fear that the cheaper versions rely on shocking the dog into submission. I hope I'm wrong.
Old 11-10-2012, 12:27 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBarkley View Post
Just a little story. a couple of years ago my neighbors little dog some how got out of his yard. It was a nice little pup. I saw this happen. I did not know the dog was out.While working in my front yard, a UPS truck came down the street and the dog ran after it and was killed. I would get a fence installed if I owned a dog.
Old 11-10-2012, 07:52 AM

I also like having the little DogWatch Fence sign that they installed on the edge of my driveway. It lets walkers and people driving by in golf carts know that my dogs are not going to lunge out at them.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.