Lullaby for a Little Mouse

Closed Thread
Old 01-22-2011, 11:10 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany
Default Lullaby for a Little Mouse

One little mouse that was very much loved. Watch:

http://www.dogwork.com/mousellu/
Old 01-23-2011, 09:52 AM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
One little mouse that was very much loved. Watch:

http://www.dogwork.com/mousellu/
Lucky little bugger.
Old 01-23-2011, 11:41 AM
Soaring Eagle member

K9 thank you, I enjoyed the video and was sad to see the ending. I found myself wanting to know more about those gorgeous people. Once again we're reminded that all life is valuable.
Old 01-23-2011, 12:09 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
K9 thank you, I enjoyed the video and was sad to see the ending. I found myself wanting to know more about those gorgeous people. Once again we're reminded that all life is valuable.
The couple from the You Tube video have a website. http://www.duirwaigh.com/
Old 01-23-2011, 11:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

I visited the website, and immediately read "Message from the Muse" which is a blog of sorts from the owner of Zeus the mouse in the video. After you get past all the New Year's Eve party photos, there is a magnificent poem about Zeus. Well worth reading. Then, to my surprise, this mouse-loving lady took a trip to Greece to see the real Zeus' stomping grounds, all in tribute to her little mouse (who was named Zeus). I started reading her blog and had to end tonight on page 7 because it's getting late. If you have the time and the inclination, take a look. There are some fantastic photos of her trip which also included Italy, The Vatican, Nice France, and more. Yes, it sounds silly, but it was really interesting and I'm going to read more when time allows.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:42 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Thanks Tal & K9, yes they are fascinating people. K9 I've saved the site and will read her blog. I'm curious as to how long Zeus lived and what happend to him. At first I thought he was a titmouse but that's a bird not a mouse.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:19 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by duffysmom View Post
Thanks Tal & K9, yes they are fascinating people. K9 I've saved the site and will read her blog. I'm curious as to how long Zeus lived and what happend to him. At first I thought he was a titmouse but that's a bird not a mouse.
This is from the entry about the YouTube video.

"Zeus, our beloved Duirmouse, May 12, 2009 - June 20, 2010. Abandoned by his mouse mommy at one day old, he crawled out from under our washing machine and lived, despite the odds. I fed him every two hours and took to carrying him in my pocket or in my sports bra, which became his home. Our adventure mouse not only survived but thrived, taking a hot air balloon ride over the Rio Grande, riding in three cross country road trips, hiking through the Sangre De Cristo mountains and ultimately walking me down the aisle at my wedding in May 2010. He was extraordinary in every way. Still is. This is his lullaby. ::::Goodnight, my love. Goodnight::::"

He seems to have been a dormouse even though that's a European and Asian rodent.
Old 01-24-2011, 04:44 PM
Soaring Eagle member

When you read more on the website blog, (I think it was in the poem) you will learn that Zeus was bitten by a snake, which caused his death.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:26 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by K9-Lovers View Post
When you read more on the website blog, (I think it was in the poem) you will learn that Zeus was bitten by a snake, which caused his death.
I read some of that very long poem. Was not sure if that was allegorical or not. The poem I read mentioned a rattlesnake. It would take some bravery to take this meal from out of the snake's reach.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:35 PM
Soaring Eagle member

When your pet is being attacked, you react from instinct and do anything to protect your little ones. I've thrown myself in front of attacking dogs two times to protect my dogs, never thinking about the possible consequences until much later.

Later in the blog, she talks more about the snake killing Zeus, so I don't think it is an allegory.
Old 01-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Sage

Bittersweet.
Old 01-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Thanks Tal & K9, I'm amazed to hear that a rattlesnake killed Zeus. That in itself must be a horror story. I once had a goldfish that I loved; when we left him with a friend while we vacationed he died mysteriously and I've always wondered what really happened. My little goldfish had personality and is still missed. I know of people who keep mice to feed to their snakes. I'm starting to ramble so I'll end it here.
Old 01-25-2011, 02:36 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Duffysmom, you would really enjoy a Beta fish as a pet. The bad thing is -- they only live about 3 years. The good thing is -- they have very prominent personalities. They love people and will come to you for a touch (but be careful with touching). They are sold in most pet stores and the prettiest are males. Don't keep them in the small container, but get them a beautiful glass bowl (no aeration needed). Each fish needs 1 gallon of water, which should be changed at least once each month. I also put a fake aquarium plant inside because they love love love to lay on the plant to sleep. You cannot combine them with other fish, even their own species, because they will fight and kill any other fish. Once in a while, place a mirror next to the bowl and they will puff up in beautiful glory, attempting to scare away the intruder fish. I've been keeping a Beta for the past 9 years (that's 3 fish). "Flash" just passed away, so I'm considering adopting another. They make food just for them. They need to be fed 2-4 pellets at least twice a day. They are carnivores and also eat tiny bits of meat (only do this occasionally) and the soft inside of a green pea. Their natural habitat is in Asia and they live among roots of plants in stagnant water and eat larvae and itty bitty worms. Okay, I'm rambling now.
Old 01-26-2011, 08:16 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Unhappy

K9, what a great idea. I always wanted to have a Koi pond but that's a long term commitment; they would outlive me.
A Beta fish is the perfect short term commitment.
Thanks K9.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.