Dog Park Guidelines

Closed Thread
Old 11-24-2018, 09:08 PM
Default Dog Park Guidelines

We have only been here for a few weeks and I'm not sure what rules exist about dog behavior in the dog parks. We take our Lab to the dog park near our home here in the Villages. He loves to chase a ball. Today there was a "herding" type dog that would not leave our door alone. The owner sat on a bench reading on his phone. No matter where we moved this dog would get behind our dog and growl and nip our dog everytime he would run for the ball. I went over and asked the owner if he could keep his dog from doing this. He said his dog did this naturally and he couldn't stop it. We again moved to the far side of the park but his dog would not leave us alone. I was getting concerned my dog either getting hurt or hurting the other dog. I went back and again asked the owner if he could control his dog. He said he would not and that he wasn't going to leave just because another dog came to the park. Rather creating confrontation and also not being sure of how things run here in the villages I left with my dog.

So two questions. First is it acceptable for a dog to growl, nip, and try to bite another dog? Second if the owner is notified and they do nothing, what is the proper way to proceed? I was concerned that my dog was going to get tired of the nipping and then one or both of the dogs could have got hurt.

Any suggestions or guidance would be appreciated.

Last edited by GeneJ; 11-25-2018 at 08:15 AM.
Old 11-24-2018, 09:24 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,046 Times in 2,737 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJ View Post
We have only been here for a few weeks and I'm not sure what rules exist about dog behavior in the dog parks. We take our Lab to the dog park near our home here in the Villages. He loves to chase a ball. Today there was a "hearding" type dog that would not leave our door alone. The owner sat on a bench reading on his phone. No matter where we moved this dog would get behind our dog and growl and nip our dog everytime he would run for the ball. I went over and asked the owner if he could keep his dog from doing this. He said his dog did this naturally and he couldn't stop it. We again moved to the far side of the park but his dog would not leave us alone. I was getting concerned my dog either getting hurt or hurting the other dog. I went back and again asked the owner if he could control his dog. He said he would not and that he wasn't going to leave just because another dog came to the park. Rather creating confrontation and also not being sure of how things run here in the villages I left with my dog.

So two questions. First is it acceptable for a dog to growl, nip, and try to bite another dog? Second if the owner is notified and they do nothing, what is the proper way to proceed? I was concerned that my dog was going to get tired of the nipping and then one or both of the dogs could have got hurt.

We have experienced the same problems in the dog parks. Bottom line is that there are some dog owners that simply are not responsible. They go to the park and hang out and ignore their untrained dogs. Some people are so clueless! Their dogs terrorize other dogs and the owners don't even pay attention. Our dog just wants to play ball and has no interest in being bothered by other dogs. I can't count the times we were having fun in the park and then the gate opened and in came our reason to have to leave. If people can not be in control of their dogs, they should not make it the problem of responsible dog owners. Unfortunately, there is now law against being stupid, inconsiderate, lazy, and irresponsible. However, there is a law against responsible dog owners dolling out some justice to these idiots.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:11 PM

The dog parks are not safe for those who just want to go and let their dogs run around and not bother other dogs. The previous posts on this thread outline all the issues....the newest one here in Fenney is already a dump...holes dug everywhere, poop not picked up, people letting their aggressive dogs run loose with no control. We were excited about it, but no more. Very sad. Would love to see people step up and do the right thing.
Old 11-24-2018, 10:23 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Try the private dog parks near the Villages. The closest is Doggie Doo Run Run about 1 mile up CR101 just before you get to the junction of CR104 turn right assuming you are heading north.

It is north of the Southern Trace Shopping Center. Belvedere becomes CR101 when it crosses CR466.

It is $3 a day or $25 a month for a membership. Add $2 per do up to 3 dogs per visit.

Dogs have to be fixed and be current on shots and they require an application with contact information-- shot evidence and vet, etc.

They do some policing of dogs but it is more done by various cliques of people there.

10 acres with a 5 acre back field, agility area, small dog (30 lbs and under) and a large dog area for dogs over 30 lbs).

There is also a dog park in Inverness and one up in Ocala.
Old 11-25-2018, 07:55 AM
Gold member

Overall the parks are pretty good. You've got to keep in mind that when you play ball or frisbee with a dog, other dogs will likely want to join in. Certainly in the case of the owner not paying attention, not so good. But, toys do cause stimulation not just for your dog but others as well.
Old 11-25-2018, 03:33 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelota View Post
The dog parks are not safe for those who just want to go and let their dogs run around and not bother other dogs. The previous posts on this thread outline all the issues....the newest one here in Fenney is already a dump...holes dug everywhere, poop not picked up, people letting their aggressive dogs run loose with no control. We were excited about it, but no more. Very sad. Would love to see people step up and do the right thing.
The out-of-control dogs whipping up the pack and causing chaos are the reasons we stopped going to Atlas. Doggie Doo Run Run on CR 101 seems to have more attentive dog owners, plus there are three large areas for the dogs--10 acres. It is not free, however.
I take our senior dog on off hours--like 2:00 pm--if we go. I have to admit I'm not crazy about dog parks due to the reasons listed in above posts.

There is one in Inverness that is a bit more expensive but seems to be better policed. The people I've seen so far keep their dogs in check. And there is a man-made swimming pond plus several dog-bathing stations. Bark Central Dog Park. Bark Central Dog Park
Old 11-25-2018, 03:42 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,751 Times in 1,386 Posts

These irresponsible dog owners can only be as ignorant of the health requirements. Hence we do no take our dog to the dog parks as they have become a breeding area for possible health encounters.
Yes we are overly cautious of our family member, the dog.
I personally have no time to be polite or tolerant to irrsponsible dog owners in TV and call them out when they are doing wrong....no black eye or bruises.....yet!
Old 11-25-2018, 04:57 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneJ View Post
We have only been here for a few weeks and I'm not sure what rules exist about dog behavior in the dog parks. We take our Lab to the dog park near our home here in the Villages. He loves to chase a ball. Today there was a "herding" type dog that would not leave our door alone. The owner sat on a bench reading on his phone. No matter where we moved this dog would get behind our dog and growl and nip our dog everytime he would run for the ball. I went over and asked the owner if he could keep his dog from doing this. He said his dog did this naturally and he couldn't stop it. We again moved to the far side of the park but his dog would not leave us alone. I was getting concerned my dog either getting hurt or hurting the other dog. I went back and again asked the owner if he could control his dog. He said he would not and that he wasn't going to leave just because another dog came to the park. Rather creating confrontation and also not being sure of how things run here in the villages I left with my dog.

The next time the other dog does this to your dog, quickly take out a taser, aim it carefully and shoot the other dog...

's....

...owner.

Last edited by ColdNoMore; 11-25-2018 at 05:05 PM.
Old 11-26-2018, 12:38 PM

Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. We will definitely be checking out the two "out of villages" areas. In the mean time we are moving our dog park times around trying to find similarly minded owners.

Thanks again!
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, owner, park, leave, asked

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.