Dog Park South of 466A

Closed Thread
Old 03-25-2015, 01:21 PM
Location: Brockton-Halifax-Marshfield, MA, Jacksonville, FL, Arlington, TX, Village of Fernandina
Default Dog Park South of 466A

Hi,

Has anyone heard anything new about the Dog Park and Atlas Canine Recreation Center?
Old 03-27-2015, 02:44 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Other than the fact that it is going to be a realty, there is no new word at the present time.

Pease come to our RDOG meeting the first Wednesday in April (April 1st).
It's held at the Eisenhower Rec Center at 7 p.m.
Hopefully, Diane Ferguson will have more word on the dog park then.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:37 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonanza View Post
Other than the fact that it is going to be a realty, there is no new word at the present time.

Pease come to our RDOG meeting the first Wednesday in April (April 1st).
It's held at the Eisenhower Rec Center at 7 p.m.
Hopefully, Diane Ferguson will have more word on the dog park then.
Hey, Bonanza, it looks like we have something in common...a love of dogs!

It's nice to see we probably have something to agree on once in a while!!
Old 03-28-2015, 01:33 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Hey, Bonanza, it looks like we have something in common...a love of dogs!

It's nice to see we probably have something to agree on once in a while!!

My bark is much worse than my bite.
Ask Gracie!

Old 04-02-2015, 07:18 AM
Location: Birmingham, AL, Destin, FL, St. Petersburg, FL, New Orleans, LA - Oct 2012 ~ Tamarind Grove

Diane gave an update last night at the RDOG3 meeting. Dog Park is to be constructed off of Moyer Loop, down past Belle Glade CC. Word is, there will be open fields, fenced with no trees inside the fenced area (grass won't grown in shade = mud hole). Also talks of putting some picnic tables there. I don't remember if an exact timeframe was mentioned.... Bonanza, do you remember?

Suggest all interested attend next month's RDOG3 meeting May 6th.
Old 04-04-2015, 01:10 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Talking Yippee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan G View Post
Diane gave an update last night at the RDOG3 meeting. Dog Park is to be constructed off of Moyer Loop, down past Belle Glade CC. Word is, there will be open fields, fenced with no trees inside the fenced area (grass won't grown in shade = mud hole). Also talks of putting some picnic tables there. I don't remember if an exact timeframe was mentioned.... Bonanza, do you remember?

Suggest all interested attend next month's RDOG3 meeting May 6th.
Yes, Susan. The target date is September.

Dog lovers are excited about this because this new park will be a good size which is particularly great for some of the larger dogs.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:24 AM
Platinum member

I was disappointed to hear there will be no trees in the new park. The reason given is that grass will not grow there. However, a park where I used to live just put mulch in the area under the trees with benches there. It was a nice place for people to socialize. I'm worried it will just be another place too hot to use most of the day.
Old 04-04-2015, 08:40 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonnevie View Post
I was disappointed to hear there will be no trees in the new park. The reason given is that grass will not grow there. However, a park where I used to live just put mulch in the area under the trees with benches there. It was a nice place for people to socialize. I'm worried it will just be another place too hot to use most of the day.
I agree. Grass is a bit of a weak reason too. Like you said, they could use mulch. And there are types of St. Augustine grass that tolerate shade very well.
Old 04-04-2015, 10:05 AM
Veteran member

While I was visiting in Lancaster, PA last year with my dogs I went to a very interesting dog park. They had artificial turf instead of grass. At first I thought it was weird and not a great idea, but then after talking to some of the regulars there they explained that it never gets hot, is easy to scoop the poop off of it, cleans itself after a rain, never gets muddy or stays soggy for long and is a truly wonderful surface for dogs. The city found that in the long run it's a money saver because of maintenance issues (never needs cutting, etc). I have never encountered that before but we liked it and it wasn't slippery and slick as I feared for my super fast hounds. I wonder why no other parks have considered this. It would take care of areas that have a mud problem like one of our dog parks here has.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:34 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovsthosebigdogs View Post
While I was visiting in Lancaster, PA last year with my dogs I went to a very interesting dog park. They had artificial turf instead of grass. At first I thought it was weird and not a great idea, but then after talking to some of the regulars there they explained that it never gets hot, is easy to scoop the poop off of it, cleans itself after a rain, never gets muddy or stays soggy for long and is a truly wonderful surface for dogs. The city found that in the long run it's a money saver because of maintenance issues (never needs cutting, etc). I have never encountered that before but we liked it and it wasn't slippery and slick as I feared for my super fast hounds. I wonder why no other parks have considered this. It would take care of areas that have a mud problem like one of our dog parks here has.
We had turf in our back yard in Vegas and it was wonderful! Even when it was 115 degrees in the sun, it wasn't hot.
It held up well even when our dogs played rough and two of our dogs were large and played hard (see my avatar photo).

There is a playground in the West Palm Beach area that also has turf.
There are all kinds of things for kids to play on and the park is loaded with kids which gives the turf a tough workout.
The turf has held up unbelievably well and you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between grass and turf when you look at it.
There is no reason not to have trees.

I have previously passed on the recommendation for using turf and having trees.
Old 04-05-2015, 07:32 AM
Platinum member

I thought that this park was going to be better than the others....it sounded like some thought was going into it. But it sounds like it will be just as uninspired as the others....again better than nothing but not of the quality other localities provide.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.