Dog restrictions

Closed Thread
Old 08-19-2018, 08:23 AM
Veteran member
Default Dog restrictions

Does anyone know anyone who has been called out by deed compliance for having an extra dog?
I have a friend who got a letter. (I will preface that by saying that she also has an unstable neighbor who spends his life trying to report people for violations.)
She was told, as I was, by her villages sales rep that you can move here with more than 1 dog, but don't replace it when it passes on. She did just that and the poor thing is now terrified that the pet patrol is going to search her house for her second dog and get rid of it. The letter doesn't say anything like this, it just says that she needs to make arrangements to be in compliance.
I had NEVER heard of this happening to anyone and she's such a sweet lady who lost her husband and all she has is these precious dogs. They never go anywhere, they go outside twice a day in her back yard and have never bothered anybody.
This makes me sad that she's so worried.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:37 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spring_chicken View Post
Does anyone know anyone who has been called out by deed compliance for having an extra dog?
I have a friend who got a letter. (I will preface that by saying that she also has an unstable neighbor who spends his life trying to report people for violations.)
She was told, as I was, by her villages sales rep that you can move here with more than 1 dog, but don't replace it when it passes on. She did just that and the poor thing is now terrified that the pet patrol is going to search her house for her second dog and get rid of it. The letter doesn't say anything like this, it just says that she needs to make arrangements to be in compliance.
I had NEVER heard of this happening to anyone and she's such a sweet lady who lost her husband and all she has is these precious dogs. They never go anywhere, they go outside twice a day in her back yard and have never bothered anybody.
This makes me sad that she's so worried.
Check your neighborhood's deed restrictions. I only have heard of people who had three dogs can move here but cannot replace the third one when it passes. Two dogs is OK. But some neighborhoods could have other deed restrictions.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:47 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
It all depends on the covenants for the house. In many parts of the Villages the covenants restrict each house to two dogs. In some of the older parts of The Villages, like the parts of the Historic Section in Lake County each house is limited to a single dog.

You can find deed restrictions here

Village Community Development Districts

My guess is that a one time or another every deed restriction has been called out. A year or two ago a house had to tear town a bird cage that was out of compliance.

Community Standards seems to followup on out of compliance complaints.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:51 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
I only have heard of people who had three dogs can move here but cannot replace the third one when it passes..
I took a look at covenants for our house and a few others and I didn't see any allowance for moving in with more dogs than the covenant allows. It sounds more like a sales person not wanting to lose a sale to me... but I'm kinda' cynical by nature anyhow.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:52 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Here is the number for your friend to call to ask them what is out of compliance;

More info here;
Village Community Development Districts
Old 08-19-2018, 08:53 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac725 View Post
Check your neighborhood's deed restrictions. I only have heard of people who had three dogs can move here but cannot replace the third one when it passes. Two dogs is OK. But some neighborhoods could have other deed restrictions.
Some places north of 466 are 1 dog. There was a copy of the deed restrictions included with her letter.
Not asking what they are, just asking if anyone knows how TV handles this, given that so many were told they can move here with more than allowed, but can't replace them.
Old 08-19-2018, 08:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Some places north of 466 are 1 dog. There was a copy of the deed restrictions included with her letter.
Not asking what they are, just asking if anyone knows how TV handles this, given that so many were told they can move here with more than allowed, but can't replace them.
I would imagine that a call to the number above would give her or you a definitive answer. I personally have never heard of a person having to give up a pet here.

Here is a thread from a few years back;

Total Number of Pets
Old 08-19-2018, 09:01 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I would imagine that a call to the number above would give her or you a definitive answer. I personally have never heard of a person having to give up a pet here.
The letter clearly states what is out of compliance. That's not what I'm asking.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:04 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Multiple dogs

Quote:
The letter clearly states what is out of compliance. That's not what I'm asking.
I know of someone who had 5 dogs. She was given the choice down to 2 or move. She moved.
Where I live 2 dogs are allowed. We had 3 when we were moving and our sales person told us it was okay, but when we lost one we had to stay at 2. We now have 2 dogs.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:25 AM
Sage

///

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-20-2018 at 09:14 AM.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:51 AM

How sad. I can't believe two dogs would make her out of compliance...three maybe, but two?? If she truly is out of compliance and her neighbor insists on harassing her then perhaps you or another neighbor can "adopt" one of her dogs and then she could "pet sit" "your" dog for you on a continuous basis. No way could I give up one of my dogs, they're family. There are ways to finagle around it, she'll just have to get creative.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:52 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
I distinctly remember a post from someone who said they had three dogs. I know people who have three dogs. I think that no one minds about three dogs if they aren't a nuisance or in some way annoying others. I love dogs, I can't imagine complaining about them. I bet you my new pair of shoes that if your friend talked to the people at deed restrictions that there would be a good outcome. Or just have your neighbor walk two dogs at a time.

I recall that post about three dogs vividly. As if it were last year. On this forum, about courtesy. But more than that, most people here very much love their pets. If someone were asked to get rid of their pets that were not bothering anyone, there would be a HUGE outcry. That is almost like asking someone to give up a baby.

We have two kitties, but had three here for a number of years.
She is very scared to call them and admit that she has 2. She's afraid they're going to fine her daily until she gets rid of 1 dog.
I just can't imagine that they could come to your door and expect to inspect the premises for an extra pet.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:55 AM
Veteran member

I'm thinking of calling compliance and telling them that her psycho neighbor has a mini-horse and a pot bellied pig in his house.
Old 08-19-2018, 09:56 AM
Platinum member

I know many people who were allowed to move here with 3 dogs but are not supposed to replace one when it dies. hopefully she can get a variance or something. or perhaps one of her nicer neighbors can "adopt" one of her dogs so he officially belongs to someone else and she pet sits a lot for it. and please, I'd appreciate no irate replies about knowing the rules, reading covenants, etc. it's what she was told by a Villages person and it should be grandfathered in and their salespeople should be told to stop doing it. it's a temporary situation because one of the dogs will be gone eventually. why can't people have compassion. there's the letter of the law and the spirit of the law. again, spare me the barbs...resist the temptation
Old 08-19-2018, 09:56 AM
Sage

Quote:
She is very scared to call them and admit that she has 2. She's afraid they're going to fine her daily until she gets rid of 1 dog.
I just can't imagine that they could come to your door and expect to inspect the premises for an extra pet.
Do you live north of 466?

Last edited by graciegirl; 08-19-2018 at 04:44 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, shes, letter, compliance, arrangements

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.