Dog urine on grass

Closed Thread
Old 12-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperboy View Post
Add a little tomato juice to the dogs water, cuts the urine acidity. Use about an 8-1 mixture.
This works, also Ketchup about 2 tablespoons in there food
Old 12-12-2012, 07:31 AM
Sage

I am renting a courtyard and note the same for my dog's browning the grass. I don't know of a remedy but wonder if timing irrigation for a brief spritz more often would help...
Old 12-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
I am renting a courtyard and note the same for my dog's browning the grass. I don't know of a remedy but wonder if timing irrigation for a brief spritz more often would help...
Might help with the dog urine, but not so much for whatever else gets spritzed. They tell us to water deep so the roots grow down - a quick spritz might encourage the roots of whatever gets spritzed to come to the surface for a drink. Use a hose or a watering can to saturate the area and you should be ok. The owner will love you for it and allow pets in the future.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:13 PM
Sage

Why Does Dog Urine Kill Grass - Brown or Yellow Spots on Grass From Dog Urine
Old 12-12-2012, 10:33 PM
Angry Dog urine on the grass

Quote:
Originally Posted by grobb View Post
Sorry about the title, but didn't know how else to state it. I have read through a lot of posted but haven't seen this topic addressed, so was wonding if someone would have any suggestions. We just moved into a Courtyard Villa with grass in the Courtyard. My lab does his business in the grass, but now the grass is turning brown/dieing where he urinates. It is zoysia grass. Does anyone know of remedites to neutralize this?
Thanks
Wow....something I have not thought about...I am moving to the Villages in March and have two 35 lb. (fixed) Terrier mixes. I have noticed that their urine does not affect the grass here (VT) but when my son's Lab visit's, his does. He is also fixed. Different breeds can have different acidity levels in their urine and cause the grass to die off. What was happening to the grass in the place you lived before you moved to the Villages..?
Old 12-12-2012, 10:58 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet B View Post
Wow....something I have not thought about...I am moving to the Villages in March and have two 35 lb. (fixed) Terrier mixes. I have noticed that their urine does not affect the grass here (VT) but when my son's Lab visit's, his does. He is also fixed. Different breeds can have different acidity levels in their urine and cause the grass to die off. What was happening to the grass in the place you lived before you moved to the Villages..?
Both our goldens' urine killed/kills the grass in Michigan (blue grass, I think), despite the urine neutralizing pills from Drs. Foster and Smith. I was hoping the zoysia grass would be tougher, but not the case. It still turns brown. Our dog loves to veg out on a run in the backyard, and I can't catch every time he pees to wash it down with water. Since the backyard is only 10 feet deep and ends at a wall, we've kind of designated that as a throwaway spot.

But now we're having that landscaped, and I'm really interested in trying the tomato juice or ketchup routine. Of course, since we're from Pittsburgh it must be Heinz.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:03 AM
Veteran member

It’s the nitrogen in dog urine that burns the grass. I’ve found that Zoysia grass is more adversely affected this time of year, much more so than during the active growing season. As has already been recommended, the best thing is to pour water directly on the spot right after your dog pees. It’s not as daunting a task as it sounds, the first pee-break in the morning is the most important time. I would advise against trying to change the natural PH levels via commercial or home remedies, especially for dogs prone to kidney or bladder issues.
Old 12-13-2012, 08:12 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybo View Post
It’s the nitrogen in dog urine that burns the grass. I’ve found that Zoysia grass is more adversely affected this time of year, much more so than during the active growing season. As has already been recommended, the best thing is to pour water directly on the spot right after your dog pees. It’s not as daunting a task as it sounds, the first pee-break in the morning is the most important time. I would advise against trying to change the natural PH levels via commercial or home remedies, especially for dogs prone to kidney or bladder issues.
That's an interesting point about kidney or bladder issues. Thanks for bringing that up. Ours doesn't have those problems, but I will ask my vet before proceeding with any home remedies. Our first and last pees of the day (well. his, not mine...) are taken in the landscaping mulch, so the more concentrated stuff is not deposited on the grass. But while he's lounging about in the backyard while we are doing other things, we don't catch the occasional whiz.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrandell View Post
I use a mixture of tap water and baking soda, and after our dogs' have done their duty, pour the mixture over the area. The grass is fine
how much water to how much baking soda?
Old 01-12-2013, 05:44 PM
Sage

Here is an informative site re dog's urine, from a pet medical insurance company Save Your Grass from the Dogs It sounds like the best option is watering the spot where the dog urinates and keeping him/her to one spot
Old 02-04-2013, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grobb View Post
Sorry about the title, but didn't know how else to state it. I have read through a lot of posted but haven't seen this topic addressed, so was wonding if someone would have any suggestions. We just moved into a Courtyard Villa with grass in the Courtyard. My lab does his business in the grass, but now the grass is turning brown/dieing where he urinates. It is zoysia grass. Does anyone know of remedites to neutralize this?
Thanks

Wish I knew! Please forward any replies you may receive to me. Good luck and thanks.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:28 PM

Take him next door!!!!!!! (;-)
Old 02-04-2013, 08:32 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarecrow1 View Post
Take him next door!!!!!!! (;-)
Oh wow.
Old 02-27-2013, 09:35 PM

It does seem appropiate that neighbors use the cau de sacs for dogs to do their business.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.