Dog Virus

Closed Thread
Old 07-12-2017, 02:18 PM
don't play Russian Roulette with your dog, get the shot

Even FOX news did a report on this on TV and they are not FAKE NEWS!!!!!
Old 07-12-2017, 02:25 PM
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjeanj View Post
There is a dog flu virus that is circulating. I read that it may have started at a dog show in Miami. I plan on having our dog vaccinated against it, as we don't want to take chances with her health. Seems that it is similar to "people" flu virus, in that exposure to the virus is easier in crowds, so dog parks would be a good (?) source.
YES, THIS disease is also airborne, and if you go to a park and a dog starts coughing, it is highly contagious. Also there is fever and other issues. I stopped taking my dog to the park, when I noticed undisciplined behavior with aggressive dogs. The neighborhood walks are good, but it is airborne, and all it takes is some visiting unsuspecting dog from out of state or renter, to make your life and your pets a living hell for 30 days.

I have an acquaintance, who had one dog sick, an had diarrhea, vomiting and fever for almost 3 weeks with IV's. $5,000 later the dog survived, instead it could have had the $28 shot + booster. We are learning from others. She new of others at kennels that are showing that died. It's not talked about or hushed up in some circles. Please get your dog vaccinated!
Old 07-12-2017, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrandell View Post
Additionally, local groomers require proof of vaccination prior to grooming your dog
If they don't they should!
Old 07-12-2017, 02:29 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Robinson View Post
I called Buffalo Ridge to ask about getting the flu vaccine for our dogs.
I asked of they had the vaccine and was told they did, so obviously, I wanted to bring my dogs in for the shot.
I was told that it was "weeks" before I could bring them in.
Just as a point of interest, we have been clients of Buffalo Ridge for a number of years.
So I asked them if a vet tech could administer the shots and they said yes.
However, I would still have to wait a number of weeks until I could bring them in. Huh???

Well, guess what? Bye, bye Buffalo Ridge!
The shot is available this Saturday the 15th at Walgreens, Colony, 9:30-10:30and maybe other Walgreen's check around, better than waiting a few weeks! conctact shotvet.com

Last edited by tikigal; 07-12-2017 at 02:31 PM. Reason: more info
Old 07-12-2017, 02:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richindc View Post
According to the staff at Buffalo Ridge Vet Hospital, there have been no cases in The Villages and only one, in Altamonte Springs close by. Not the scare everyone thought it might be.
You should check again, things are out of hand in some areas. Do your research on line! The virus is spreading and don't fool yourself! or your pet!
Old 07-12-2017, 02:36 PM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
That is no longer the true. Read the Daily Sun this morning. There are now four cases.
Now read today's paper, and go on line to see what other states are dealing with issues. Everyone in my neighborhood knows the issue, and I am totally staying away from dogs that aren't vaccinated.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:43 PM

My dog had a bad reaction to the Lyme vaccination/ booster. After discussing with my vet, we have decided not to vaccinate.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:43 PM
Post Please watch these u tube videos on the canine dog flu

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSR22 View Post
There is a very contagious dog flu that is going around. Two vaccines are needed 3 weeks apart.
MyWay

MyWay

You can do nothing or be a proactive owner and protect your pet.
Old 07-12-2017, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaligirl View Post
Our dog received the flu vaccination in CA and still got the flu because it was 'a different flu'. Not sure if we are going to vaccinate both of them again or not....
at one time they only vaccinated for the bird flu, now its H2 and H8
Old 07-12-2017, 02:50 PM

MyWay

MyWay

Watch these videos, be a proactive pet parent please!
Here's my big guestion??????OCALA HAS CLOSED THEIR DOG PARKS DUE TO THE CANINE FLU WHICH HAS INFECTED THE AREA, WHY AREN'T THE VILLAGES CLOSING THEIR DOG PARKS AS WELL, WE LIVE IN A BUBBLE, BUT YOU CAN'T IGNORE WHAT'S GOING ON AS IF IT DOESN'T EXIST. i RAN into a German Shepard and owner last month who visited the dog park on Moyer Loop (South end) and had diarrhea and vomiting for a month, what happened to that dog?????
Old 07-12-2017, 07:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikigal View Post
The shot is available this Saturday the 15th at Walgreens, Colony, 9:30-10:30and maybe other Walgreen's check around, better than waiting a few weeks! conctact shotvet.com
I preferred not to show up at Walgreens along with however many other dogs, one of whom just may be contagious.

But I had NO trouble getting my dog into Park Heights for his first shot or scheduling time for booster. Same day I called. The dogs don't have to be seen by a vet and incur an examination charge. A tech can give the shot.

Has anyone else had trouble getting a shot at Buffalo Ridge?
Old 07-12-2017, 07:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
I preferred not to show up at Walgreens along with however many other dogs, one of whom just may be contagious.

But I had NO trouble getting my dog into Park Heights for his first shot or scheduling time for booster. Same day I called. The dogs don't have to be seen by a vet and incur an examination charge. A tech can give the shot.

Has anyone else had trouble getting a shot at Buffalo Ridge?
Beau got his at Buffalo Ridge today. The first one and they had an assembly line going of sorts and they have a sign that people should not bring pooches which are coughing into the waiting area. They say to call them and they will come to you. Lots of canines there they short time I was there.

They seemed to have a lot of staff on hand. I may take it easy with Beau and the dog park for the next few weeks and wander around the Villages in other areas where I can keep a distance from unknown dogs. Or just go to Doggie Doo Run Run when almost no one else is there.
Old 07-12-2017, 08:06 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

We had our dog vaccinated for the flu at Buffalo Ridge (2 shots). It wasn't a same day appointment but I didn't expect that.
I've been happy with the veterinarians at Buffalo Ridge.
Old 10-25-2017, 09:39 PM
Sage

We are heading to Florida in early November. Are Dog Flu shots still a priority?
The shots aren't available in Canada because Dog Flu s not a problem in Ontario.

Last edited by Barefoot; 10-25-2017 at 11:30 PM.
Old 10-26-2017, 01:19 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Bare, why not call down there to your vet and ask? I haven't heard of any new cases, but I haven't paid attention to the issue since having Crosby vaccinated. I was a little surprised that the foster group would not agree to pay for having Annie vaccinated, so maybe its not so much of an issue anymore. But I can't swear to it.

Tags
dog, vaccinated, virus, suggestion, stay

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.