Dogs left out unleashed

Closed Thread
Old 02-14-2020, 06:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Our (first) golden never got shocked with his invisible fence. If the positive training procedure is done correctly, the dog will never get shocked. He will hear a beeping sign that warns him he is close to the fence line, which during training is marked off by a line of flags six feet from the actual fence. So you take the dog, on the leash, up to the flags, hear the beep, turn him around and back off, and reward. It works a treat with retrievers. I don't know about other dogs.

That having been said, I would not use an invisible fence in TV. Too many coyotes and alligators who haven't been "positively" trained.
Absolutely. I've had an invisible fence for 6 years with 2 dogs and neither of them were ever shocked. Also, the system generates a low level shock, I've tested it on my arm. We're not talking electrocution here, and the strength of the shock is adjustable.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:06 AM

check the local county ordinance.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:51 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boe39 View Post
Is it ok for a dog owner to let there dog out to go to the bathroom unleashed.
Don’t want anybody to get upset with my comment but our comments here aren’t the rules. Call TV front office & get the ruling. I see a gentleman that walks (looks like a standard poodle) his dog around the TV of Charlotte with no leash on, but I’m telling you this dog walks into the grass & sits down when anybody walks by them, walking by themselves or with another dog. This dog never moves no matter if another dog is trying to approach it. It’s an amazing dog! But my point is I don’t know if he’s suppose to really do this. Check with the front office!
Old 02-14-2020, 10:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,178 Times in 834 Posts

Google is your friend. Sumter county's ordinances are all online.

You can read the animal control rules here

They include:

Direct control shall mean immediate and continuous physical control of an animal at all times such as by means of a fence, leash, cord, or chain of sufficient strength to restrain the animal; or in the case of specifically trained working, agricultural or hunting animals which immediately respond to such commands, while working; direct control shall also include aural or oral control, if the controlling person is at all times clearly and fully within the unobstructed sight and hearing of the animal.

and

No person shall cause, permit, or allow a dog or cat to stray or in any manner to run at large [not under direct control as defined above] in or upon any public street, sidewalk, or other public property or the property of another.

So to answer the OP's question.. No dog or cat can be at large. A dog does not have to be on a leash but does have to be under the direct control of a nearby person.

Other rules include:
All cats must have a license and a rabies vaccine tag, not just dogs and ferrets.
No animal in heat may be outdoors.
Any cat which is not sterilized cannot be outdoors unattended. No exceptions.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:01 PM

I just got an invisible fence and I trained my dogs to stop before the flags. I am outside with them when they go out because I want to make sure their aren’t predators around. the worst predator is my neighbor. They hate dogs
Old 02-14-2020, 04:34 PM
Default mouth balls

I use mouth balls all over my land and the dogs just stay a way and don't poop
Old 02-14-2020, 04:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,013 Times in 1,740 Posts

Moth balls may hurt them. Because dogs have a great sense of smell I use a small amount of coarse black pepper. A little sniff and they pass by.

Last edited by Velvet; 02-15-2020 at 10:23 AM.
Old 02-15-2020, 04:35 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

My dog goes outside on our yard several times a day. No color no leash but trained not to cross off our property. My wife allows me out as well without ID as long as I don’t leave our private property. On private property, the florida law requires the dog to be under the owners control.
Old 02-15-2020, 06:43 AM
Location: Mt. AIRY NC, NORFOLK VA, VA BEACH, VA, FT WAYNE,IN, CINCINNATI, OH, ROSWELL, GA, THE VILLAGES

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I see a big problem with that. Invisible fences are not right, shocking a dog is not the right way to train the poor animal. We are positive reinforcement only with our dog. I want to take the owners of the dogs that use invisible fences and put the shock collar on them and drag them to the edge of their property. I am guessing they would not be too happy about that.
Pavlov's law
Old 02-15-2020, 06:44 AM

Dogs must be leashed at all times.
Be kind to one another... Ephesians 4:32
Old 02-15-2020, 09:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,371 Times in 2,517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedalton View Post
Pavlov's law

Murphy's Law.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:54 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy@Pinellas View Post
Dogs must be leashed at all times.
Might be your desire, but simply not true.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:18 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,770 Times in 3,638 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Might be your desire, but simply not true.

It's in our Restrictive Covenants.

Not yours???
Old 02-15-2020, 10:36 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boe39 View Post
Is it ok for a dog owner to let there dog out to go to the bathroom unleashed.
Of course not, unless the owners have invisible fencing.
Even then, the dog should be supervised.
Invisible fencing does not prevent predators from attacking the dog.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:51 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,506 Times in 3,104 Posts

If the owner has a courtyard village, I'm not seeing a problem. Let the dog out to do its business in your back yard. Anything else, either have an invisible fence, or take the pooch out for a walk. If you're disabled, most dogs will walk just fine alongside a wheelchair. If you're so disabled that you need help with a wheelchair, then most aides will allow your dog to walk alongside the wheelchair while they're rolling it on your behalf.

Walking your dog is one of the responsibilities of having one. The dog SHOULD be leashed whenever they are off your property, according to county law and according to all of the deed restrictions I've read (I haven't read them all). So basically - if you are able to contain your animal to your own property and are confident that it won't stray away from the property line even a foot, then you're fine. Otherwise - go out with the pooch and a leash.
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, unleashed, dogs, owner, left

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.