Dogs left out unleashed

Closed Thread
Old 02-15-2020, 11:28 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dewilson58 View Post
It's in our Restrictive Covenants.

Not yours???
Just going by Sumter County Code. Only reference in my district code is vague as to where a leash is required and I don’t think could be construed to override County Code.

Just for the record, our dog is always on a leash when off our property. She is also very well trained to stay on our property and never unsupervised.
Old 02-15-2020, 11:40 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,769 Times in 3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Just going by Sumter County Code. Only reference in my district code is vague as to where a leash is required and I don’t think could be construed to override County Code.

Just for the record, our dog is always on a leash when off our property. She is also very well trained to stay on our property and never unsupervised.

Restr Cov's can "over-ride" (not the word I would use) County Code and be more restrictive.......................that's why they are there and we all agree to them.

Ours is fairly specific.............."responsible to keep such pets on a leash".

Enforceability might be of question.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:13 PM
Sage

Quote:
Restr Cov's can "over-ride" (not the word I would use) County Code and be more restrictive.......................that's why they are there and we all agree to them.

Ours is fairly specific.............."responsible to keep such pets on a leash".

Enforceability might be of question.
Agree with most of your post, except possibly a little bit with the "fairly specific" part. If our code is the same as yours, it's surrounded by references to natural areas and public facilities. And that sort of vagueness makes me very much agree with your enforceability comment when a dog is on its owner's lot and is supervised by the owner.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:20 PM

A little poop don't hurt anything. Especially in your own yard.
Old 02-15-2020, 09:27 PM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,212 Times in 351 Posts

When I take our dog out to do his business in our yard I am always with him. He is not on a leash but he is well trained so he doesn't wander. If we are going off our property he is always on a leash.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:30 AM
Gold member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayViall View Post
A little poop don't hurt anything. Especially in your own yard.
The issue for me is not the poop. It is that when the dog off leash in their "yard" sees my dog coming by on his leash, the dog off leash is curious as to who is walking by so he/see wanders out of the yard to say hello. My dog gets upset because he's on leash and then the other dog starts to follow us and the drama starts! I have had several incidents in my area with off leash dogs coming out of the garage, out of the yard, out of the car, to my on leash dog and not under voice control.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:35 AM
Sage

I thought the combination dog park/archery range was going to solve that problem.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debfrommaine View Post
The issue for me is not the poop. It is that when the dog off leash in their "yard" sees my dog coming by on his leash, the dog off leash is curious as to who is walking by so he/see wanders out of the yard to say hello. My dog gets upset because he's on leash and then the other dog starts to follow us and the drama starts! I have had several incidents in my area with off leash dogs coming out of the garage, out of the yard, out of the car, to my on leash dog and not under voice control.
While I have never had that happen with off-leash dogs running after my dog, I can understand your concern. A leashed dog feels vulnerable around unleashed dogs. I also don't believe very many dogs in TV are totally under voice control, on leash or off. That training involves weeks of practice. Most of our TV dogs are just pets and not strictly trained.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

[QUOTE=Polar Bear;1718278]Might be your desire, but simply not true. When walking off of your property they’re supposed to be on a leash, OHIO NORTHERN UNIVERSITY! I know some people don’t but you better have good control of your pet or they don’t bite anybody!
Old 02-16-2020, 09:43 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioBuckeye View Post
Quote:
Might be your desire, but simply not true.
When walking off of your property they’re supposed to be on a leash, OHIO NORTHERN UNIVERSITY! I know some people don’t but you better have good control of your pet or they don’t bite anybody!
Agree totally. Post I replied to said dogs must be on leash “at all times”.

Go Bears and Bucks!!
Old 02-16-2020, 09:47 AM
Gold member

[QUOTE=OhioBuckeye;1718464]
Quote:
Might be your desire, but simply not true. When walking off of your property they’re supposed to be on a leash, OHIO NORTHERN UNIVERSITY! I know some people don’t but you better have good control of your pet or they don’t bite anybody!
Or start a dog fight with a startled leashed dog and owner.
Old 02-16-2020, 02:15 PM
Sage

Just for the record, quotes have somehow got mixed up. I did not post all of what was shown as a quote by me in the previous post.
Old 02-17-2020, 04:44 AM
Veteran member
Thanked 1,015 Times in 273 Posts

Quote:
It's in our Restrictive Covenants.

Not yours???
Covenants cannot overrule state law and the state does not require leash on private property.
Old 02-17-2020, 05:59 AM
Sage
Location: South of 466a, if you don't like me.......I live in Orlando.
Thanked 9,769 Times in 3,637 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimJohnson View Post
Covenants cannot overrule state law and the state does not require leash on private property.

Correct, they don't over-rule.................but they can and do enhance.
Old 02-17-2020, 09:24 AM
Platinum member

I would say it depends on the dog. We had two ShiZu's when we moved here in 2004. They had no interest in leaving our yard, except via the golf cart. We would let them out or walk out with them, they did their "thing" immediately, made a beeline for the door, we cleaned up after them, and we all went in the house. My neighbor across the yard in the back kept them a couple of times while we were gone. She would let Alex out, he would do his thing and head straight over to our back door wanting to be home. Tasha would go straight back to her.
Amarillo, TX
The Villages, FL

To quote my dad:
"I never did see a board that didn't have two sides."
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, unleashed, dogs, owner, left

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.