dogs not on leashes

Closed Thread
Old 02-20-2018, 08:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobob View Post
call the animal control people or just go tell them you have a gun and if your dog is in my yard
It's not the dog's fault. Shoot the neighbor.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
call the animal control people or just go tell them you have a gun and if your dog is in my yard
Yes. That is called setting an example of being a good neighbor. Oh, wait ...
Old 02-20-2018, 10:23 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,663 Times in 941 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmbromley View Post
When was it that neighbors became afraid to talk to neighbors. I’m sorry but I would have no problem at all introducing myself to a new neighbor and speaking to him or her about controlling their dog so that it doesn’t use my yard as a bathroom. If that doesn’t work I’d go to the next level of police or TV restrictions. But just speak to the individual; you might be surprised how well that may work.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
When was it that neighbors became afraid to talk to neighbors. I’m sorry but I would have no problem at all introducing myself to a new neighbor and speaking to him or her about controlling their dog so that it doesn’t use my yard as a bathroom. If that doesn’t work I’d go to the next level of police or TV restrictions. But just speak to the individual; you might be surprised how well that may work.
I would be surprised. They may not ACT offended but they will be, and you are still living there near them, seeing them at group functions.

When you in essence tell someone close by how to run their railroad, you can bet they aren't going to thank you for it. It isn't being afraid. It is being realistic. First of all it is highly unlikely that they aren't aware of leash laws and it is highly likely they are going to be ****ed off. This is a regionality issue. Where I grew up, you didn't confront anyone, no matter how diplomatic you were.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:30 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
This is a reason to carry.

Chloe
&
Lulu

Last edited by Cisco Kid; 02-20-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:09 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,507 Times in 677 Posts

Quote:
Yep...exactly.

I would much rather have a neighbor tell me about something I'm doing that's bothering them...than for them to be passive-aggressive about it.

If I disagree, then I also feel comfortable telling them so...and calmly explaining why I disagree.

Pretty simple actually.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:35 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tophcfa View Post
I am a lifelong dog owner and dog lover.
Unfortunately, the relatively small percentage of bad dog owners tend to cause all dog owners to be negatively painted with the same broad brush.
Most dog owners are responsible and respectful. It's a few bad apples that ruin it for the rest.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:11 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Ohiobuckeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
We are in absolute agreement.

A dog running loose on other folks property, or even barking incessantly no matter where they are, is terrible and gives all dog owners bad reps. I only quoted the code because a few folks believe a dog must be on a leash whenever outside, even on the owners' property.

And while I think the code is reasonable, I do think it could have been worded better. The phrase "...under direct control or on a leash when off the owner's property..." could be interpreted that it is legal to have a dog off a leash when not on the owners's property if under direct control. I do not believe that is the intent or that it should be. In my opinion, when a dog is off the owners' property, it should be leashed, unless of course it's in a dog park.

Like Mleeja, our dog is either in our yard or on a leash. While in our yard, our dog is directly supervised 100% of the time and is not on a leash. When off our property, our dog is on a leash.
Well I can't argue with the pet owners because like I said I haven't had a dog for probably 20 yrs. now. Sure would like to have one but I want to be fair to my pet & spend a lot of time with them. When I see people out walking their dogs I always think, "Well their dog is taking the master out for a walk", I don't say that to be mean. I actually think how nice it is that these people love their dogs so much that they are willing to spend a lot of time with them. I do see one gentleman walking his standard Poodle with no leash on & this dog is so disciplined that when the owner & dog walk by ANYBODY the owner will stop & that dog will come back & sit right next to his owner until whoever gets by them & without saying a word the owner will give give a hand signal & then the dog will start walking again. Thanks for your comment!
Old 02-21-2018, 09:59 AM
Gold member
Default From your post

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaseydog View Post
new neighbors moved in on my block. they let their dog out without a leash. dog runs on their front lawn & neighbors lawn. lots of yelling to get dog under control. dogs in the villages are supposed to be leashed when outside. i'm not sure how to handle this.
Sadly, this is a tough issue. Been there and done that.

HOPEFULLY, they are reasonable people and you can speak with them. SADLY, by now you will know what you have.
You will have them INTRUDING on you in other ways as well.

You might call THE VILLAGES. They have people SKILLED at handling such issues or can give you advice as to YOUR options
Closed Thread

Tags
dog, dogs, lawn, neighbors, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.