Dogs and screens

Closed Thread
Old 03-21-2010, 08:06 PM
Gold member
Default Dogs and screens

We will be moving to Buttonwood in late May, and our house will have a lanai and small "bird cage".
Our dog, Meg, currently runs loose as we live in a rural farm environment. She will have to learn to live in a confined space in our new home, and we are concerned that Meg may claw at the screen. While she is a small dog, no doubt the screen mesh would be the loser. Got any advice on aclimating a dog to a newly confined area? Thanks y'all. Sandra from VA.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:35 PM
Sage

Hi Shrandell,

Welcome. I'm excited for you moving to TV. I would suggest you take Meg to one of the dog parks daily. Many TVers love Doggie Do Run Run.
Old 03-24-2010, 07:06 PM

First of all have pet screen installed in your lani and bird cage. Very sturdy - a lot of places install it. A couple are Quality Screen & Alum., Whites Alum.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:19 AM
Gold member
Location: Retired and living fulltime in The Village of Bonita!

I am so with you on this one. We brought our dog Smokey down with us for thr first time in Feb, since we are just weekenders right now. In Alabama we have almost 2 acres fenced in that he (Cairn Terrier) can roam, and he is a very YOUNG 15 years old and we have had him since 8 weeks. We live in a CYV, and he HATES it. He barked, whined, etc even put a doggie door in the screen so he could go on lanai, etc. Would not even go potty, except on walks. Finally at the end of the week he was slowly getting use to it, but still not happy, you could just see it. So we decided no more with Smokey till the move is perm and he will just have to adjust. But after 15 years of basically unlimited room, it will be very rough. I so feel what you are going through!!

Army Guy
Old 03-25-2010, 04:39 PM
Banned

Just thinking outloud...but I wonder if you could use an invisible fence temporarily placed close to the inside perimeter of your lanai and bird cage. I would call one of the installers to see what they say. Any dog can claw through a lanai screen.
I know my sister inlaw had an invisible fence partially installed inside her home to keep her lab out of the living room.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.