Dogs in shopping carts

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2022, 08:04 AM
Default Dogs in shopping carts

Went into Lady Lake store yesterday, and for the 3rd time I saw a lady with a dog in a cart(not a PTSD dog). I finally said something to 3 employees who said they were just as upset about it but their hands were tied by there managers. They were told they didn't want to upset there customers? What about those of us that don't want to put food in a cart where a dog's bare but, and genitals were just laying on. Also my wife is afraid, and allergic to dogs. We will no longer shop in Sam's Club or any food store that allows this policy. I do own a non-allergenic cat(Bengal), maybe I will start bringing him shopping at these stores.
Old 10-23-2022, 08:57 AM
Sage
Thanked 14,026 Times in 5,325 Posts

Yesterday at BJ's there was a small dog riding in a shopping cart barking on a regular basis. No idea if this one was a service animal but it appears that it has become much too easy for fido to go wherever his owner wants him to go.

Perhaps I should get a horse and decide he is a service one who helps me control my emotions.
Old 10-23-2022, 09:04 AM
Default Leave your furry friends at home...

I am a dog person having owned many through the years. I prefer medium (~40 lb) size dogs.

I don't understand the need for people to take their (large & small) dogs with them no matter where the destination -- hardware store, grocery store, evening activities. Where does this need to bring your pet along come from? Fluffy & Brutus may be your loving companion, but an animal is an animal and they are unpredictable. Barking, biting and fighting is inevitable. Not a risk I was willing to take on.

Just wondering... I always felt my pets were happier at home.
Old 10-23-2022, 11:59 AM

I totally agree with this post. It is absolutely ridiculous that people cannot go out of the house without their animal. The worst I have seen was in Lowes some years ago, waiting at the cash register the woman in front of me had a small dog in the basket of the cart, it peed, splashed on the cement floor and I was unlucky enough to getr some of that pee on my legs. She did not even acknowledge that her dog had peed.
Old 10-23-2022, 12:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,911 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
I totally agree with this post. It is absolutely ridiculous that people cannot go out of the house without their animal. The worst I have seen was in Lowes some years ago, waiting at the cash register the woman in front of me had a small dog in the basket of the cart, it peed, splashed on the cement floor and I was unlucky enough to getr some of that pee on my legs. She did not even acknowledge that her dog had peed.
The dog is just a dog---it's the owners that are emotionally crippled.
Old 10-23-2022, 12:04 PM
Sage

True service dogs have to go through special training (it's also expensive)! "IF/when" they pass it people will be able to observe them in that they respond to their human's prompts. IF in a restaurant they will lie under the table, out of the way. IF walking with a leash, they will "heel" with their human. The rest of us should not pet them unless given permission. Too many people have selfishly (yes it's selfish) pushed the limits to bringing their family pet everywhere. I've seen them in medical clinics too----which is deplorable (pets NOT service animals). I love animals but that's what they are----NOT our "kids"!!!
Old 10-23-2022, 01:09 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGolfer View Post
True service dogs have to go through special training (it's also expensive)! "IF/when" they pass it people will be able to observe them in that they respond to their human's prompts. IF in a restaurant they will lie under the table, out of the way. IF walking with a leash, they will "heel" with their human. The rest of us should not pet them unless given permission. Too many people have selfishly (yes it's selfish) pushed the limits to bringing their family pet everywhere. I've seen them in medical clinics too----which is deplorable (pets NOT service animals). I love animals but that's what they are----NOT our "kids"!!!
Even worse are people that walk around pushing their dogs in a stroller. How happy can the poor dog be not be able to get out and sniff its surroundings
Old 10-23-2022, 01:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

While at Marshals on Saturday, lady with a mid size terrier sitting in shopping cart, took a bowl off the shelf,, poured water in it. Let her dog drink from the bowl, then put the bowl back on the shelf.

Management watch her as did 4 customers. She was asked to leave, and given the bowl since it was no longer a sellable item. Her comments on the way out…

I will never shop here again… my dog is cleaner than any of you. Management was thanked by multiple customers for doing the right thing. I have noticed some businesses are posting a sign no animals allowed, unless it’s a service dog. Wonder how that’s working.
Old 10-23-2022, 01:43 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,617 Times in 5,196 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
While at Marshals on Saturday, lady with a mid size terrier sitting in shopping cart, took a bowl off the shelf,, poured water in it. Let her dog drink from the bowl, then put the bowl back on the shelf.

Management watch her as did 4 customers. She was asked to leave, and given the bowl since it was no longer a sellable item. Her comments on the way out…

I will never shop here again… my dog is cleaner than any of you. Management was thanked by multiple customers for doing the right thing. I have noticed some businesses are posting a sign no animals allowed, unless it’s a service dog. Wonder how that’s working.
It doesn't work at Walmart. They have a "no pets" sign, but they don't enforce it. Enforcement is the key. Although, if the dog owner says it is a service dog, there is not much the store can do because of the Federal disability law.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Nothing surprises me anymore -- actually made me laugh out loud. Pathetic behavior.
Old 10-23-2022, 02:48 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,131 Times in 811 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsPCGenius View Post
Nothing surprises me anymore -- actually made me laugh out loud. Pathetic behavior.
Wife and I were at Lowe's and a young man had his puppy in the shopping cart in front of us.
He was checking out as his puppy left a pee trail between us and the door.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,468 Times in 3,093 Posts

People who lack respect for the rules enough to bring a pet into a store that has a sign that says "no pets" - will lack respect for a manager who tries to enforce the rules. They'll make a fuss, they'll distract the other customers, they'll make the entire place feel uncomfortable to the employees and customers, they'll waste the manager's time, they'll escalate and make demands, they might end up with the police and more yelling and disruption of business, and it'll ultimately cost the store money. And for what? To prove to a pet-owner that the pet-owner is a piece of crap whose dog has more humanity than they do?

Most managers aren't willing to die on that particular hill. They have a business to run. So as long as the dog isn't "doing" anything disruptive, they won't do or say anything to the pet owner. Especially if the senior corporate management has decreed that the local store manager is not -permitted- to do anything more than give the pet-owner the hairy eyeball and keep quiet.

I will say a huzzah for Ay Jalisco. I ate there early last week, outside. Lady with a small dog on a retractable leash asked if she could get a table outside on the patio. The waitress told her to hold on a moment, went inside, and came back out again. Told the lady sorry - no dogs allowed. The lady claimed it was a "therapy" dog. The waitress held firm. She followed the law and the spirit of the law: "therapy" dogs are not "service animals." And "service animals" are the ONLY animals protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act. Proprietors have the right to impose specific rules: "four on the floor," no leash longer than 6 feet, non-retractable, and the dog MUST be heeled when it's not walking. The only rule this lady was obeying was that the dog had all four feet on the ground. It wasn't heeling, she had a retractable leash pulled out to nearly 10 feet.

In addition - a manager/employee has very strict rules about what they can and cannot ask: they can ask "is this a service animal?" If the owner says yes, they can ask "what service is this dog trained to provide?" And the owner has to answer that question.

That's it. They can't ask "what service does this dog provide "FOR YOU?". Only what it's trained to do, in general.

However, the lady volunteered the information that it was a "therapy" dog - which means it's not a service animal. So the waitress then had that opportunity to tell the lady nope - can't come in, can't eat on our patio.

I gave the waitress a bit of an extra tip and told her I was SO glad she stuck to her guns.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:15 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,032 Times in 726 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael G. View Post
Wife and I were at Lowe's and a young man had his puppy in the shopping cart in front of us.
He was checking out as his puppy left a pee trail between us and the door.
Lowe's & Home Depot are specifically "Dog Friendly'. It says so at the doors. If you go to either of those stores, expect to see dogs. Their business, their right to make the rules.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:20 PM
Sage

Quote:

They should have called police must have been some law she broke.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:25 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 2,589 Times in 934 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
They should have called police must have been some law she broke.
Not sure the police will arrest some old lady bringing a dog into A store.
Closed Thread

Tags
dogs, dog, food, upset, store

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.