Dogs in shopping carts

Closed Thread
Old 10-23-2022, 04:28 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,665 Times in 1,503 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvNH View Post
I totally agree with this post. It is absolutely ridiculous that people cannot go out of the house without their animal. The worst I have seen was in Lowes some years ago, waiting at the cash register the woman in front of me had a small dog in the basket of the cart, it peed, splashed on the cement floor and I was unlucky enough to getr some of that pee on my legs. She did not even acknowledge that her dog had peed.
I hope you screamed at the top of your lungs and made her the focus of a very ugly and embarrassing scene. She was totally responsible for you being soiled by her dog.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:31 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
The dog is just a dog---it's the owners that are emotionally crippled.
Sad, but very true!
Old 10-23-2022, 04:36 PM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
People who lack respect for the rules enough to bring a pet into a store that has a sign that says "no pets" - will lack respect for a manager who tries to enforce the rules. They'll make a fuss, they'll distract the other customers, they'll make the entire place feel uncomfortable to the employees and customers, they'll waste the manager's time, they'll escalate and make demands, they might end up with the police and more yelling and disruption of business, and it'll ultimately cost the store money. And for what? To prove to a pet-owner that the pet-owner is a piece of crap whose dog has more humanity than they do?

Most managers aren't willing to die on that particular hill. They have a business to run. So as long as the dog isn't "doing" anything disruptive, they won't do or say anything to the pet owner. Especially if the senior corporate management has decreed that the local store manager is not -permitted- to do anything more than give the pet-owner the hairy eyeball and keep quiet.

I will say a huzzah for Ay Jalisco. I ate there early last week, outside. Lady with a small dog on a retractable leash asked if she could get a table outside on the patio. The waitress told her to hold on a moment, went inside, and came back out again. Told the lady sorry - no dogs allowed. The lady claimed it was a "therapy" dog. The waitress held firm. She followed the law and the spirit of the law: "therapy" dogs are not "service animals." And "service animals" are the ONLY animals protected by the Americans with Disabilities Act. Proprietors have the right to impose specific rules: "four on the floor," no leash longer than 6 feet, non-retractable, and the dog MUST be heeled when it's not walking. The only rule this lady was obeying was that the dog had all four feet on the ground. It wasn't heeling, she had a retractable leash pulled out to nearly 10 feet.

In addition - a manager/employee has very strict rules about what they can and cannot ask: they can ask "is this a service animal?" If the owner says yes, they can ask "what service is this dog trained to provide?" And the owner has to answer that question.

That's it. They can't ask "what service does this dog provide "FOR YOU?". Only what it's trained to do, in general.

However, the lady volunteered the information that it was a "therapy" dog - which means it's not a service animal. So the waitress then had that opportunity to tell the lady nope - can't come in, can't eat on our patio.

I gave the waitress a bit of an extra tip and told her I was SO glad she stuck to her guns.
Can't understand the fuss. Whenever I bring Spike (my emotional support monitor lizard) into Wal-Mart, people seem to give us a LOT of room as we shop.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu from NYC View Post
Even worse are people that walk around pushing their dogs in a stroller. How happy can the poor dog be not be able to get out and sniff its surroundings
The dog could be old, ill, injured and unable to walk very well, or at all. At least the poor animal gets some fresh air and a change of scenery and smell.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by asianthree View Post
While at Marshals on Saturday, lady with a mid size terrier sitting in shopping cart, took a bowl off the shelf,, poured water in it. Let her dog drink from the bowl, then put the bowl back on the shelf.

Management watch her as did 4 customers. She was asked to leave, and given the bowl since it was no longer a sellable item. Her comments on the way out…

I will never shop here again… my dog is cleaner than any of you. Management was thanked by multiple customers for doing the right thing. I have noticed some businesses are posting a sign no animals allowed, unless it’s a service dog. Wonder how that’s working.
She should NOT have been given the bowl! She made the bowl unsellable for them the same as if she broke it. She should have been made to pay for it since she had used it. If she pays, give her the bowl. If she refuses to pay, ban her from the store, and don't reward her with the bowl. She might think she is onto a great new scam and try it again.
Old 10-23-2022, 04:57 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
Can't understand the fuss. Whenever I bring Spike (my emotional support monitor lizard) into Wal-Mart, people seem to give us a LOT of room as we shop.
And just what has Spike been trained to monitor?
😏
Old 10-23-2022, 05:48 PM
Sage
Thanked 12,912 Times in 4,141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
😏
Ocean acidity 😂😂😂
Old 10-23-2022, 05:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,018 Times in 1,012 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdpaq0580 View Post
😏
rodents hiding on the shelves! 🤣🤣
Old 10-23-2022, 06:22 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,707 Times in 761 Posts

Heath violation. Take pictures. Report to town and State . They will Take action
Old 10-23-2022, 06:38 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,702 Times in 5,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babubhat View Post
Heath violation. Take pictures. Report to town and State . They will Take action
Sounds good, but I think that any action they take would be totally inadequate, based on just one photo, without a pattern of violations. The store would just say that they didn't see it happen.
Old 10-23-2022, 06:56 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Thanked 1,980 Times in 713 Posts

Every time we go out we have to make the decision to bring the dog or not. What are we doing when out, can we bring the dog. If going out includes a store, do we both need to go in or can one of us stay with the dog. Are we getting something to eat? If we are both going into the store or getting something to eat then the dogs stay home. They have no business being in a store or restaurant even if eating outside. I hate being places where people feel their dogs are more important than anything. As for dogs being cleaner, I am sorry but after licking their primates, there is no way they are licking me.
Old 10-23-2022, 07:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,702 Times in 5,237 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
Every time we go out we have to make the decision to bring the dog or not. What are we doing when out, can we bring the dog. If going out includes a store, do we both need to go in or can one of us stay with the dog. Are we getting something to eat? If we are both going into the store or getting something to eat then the dogs stay home. They have no business being in a store or restaurant even if eating outside. I hate being places where people feel their dogs are more important than anything. As for dogs being cleaner, I am sorry but after licking their primates, there is no way they are licking me.
A guy walks into a bar and there is a dog behind the bar licking his privates.

The guy says to the bartender, "I wish I could do that".

The bartender says "go ahead, he won't mind".
Old 10-23-2022, 07:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfing eagles View Post
Ocean acidity 😂😂😂
WOW! Spike has a PhD in ocean sciences? Great cross thread response. 😄
Old 10-23-2022, 07:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garywt View Post
Licking their "primates"? You mean their owners, or did auto insert fail again? Either way, dog tongues are nasty.
👅
Old 10-23-2022, 07:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PugMom View Post
rodents hiding on the shelves! 🤣🤣
What about thr rodents pushing the carts with dogs in them?
Closed Thread

Tags
dogs, dog, food, upset, store

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.