Dogs in the Villages

Closed Thread
Old 07-17-2022, 07:01 PM
Veteran member

Wrong. The newer southern communities have yards..
Old 07-18-2022, 03:17 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,578 Times in 1,323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rose Ann Vinci Igoe View Post
The Villages have NO fenced in yards, but court yard villas that have walled back yards. very nice... but if you can't find one you like, a regular home is fine BUT leash law at all times even on your property. you can walk, on leash, dog parks, and at night to walk for potty before bed is LEASH. KEEP IN MIND we have PREDITORS here, coyotes, hawkes, gators, and yes if unleashed they could possibly get your fur baby. but leash law always if you love your baby... but Court yard villa... leash is not required because your back yard is surrounded by wall.
Verandas (designers with complete vinyl yard enclosures) are being built in new areas in the south.
Old 07-18-2022, 05:03 AM

Verandas are designer homes with fences you could also put up a bird cage and have some grass inside it. About every 2 blocks is a common area common area owned by the villages that dogs can potty on, but it is best to let them party in your yard where you can pick it right up.
Old 07-18-2022, 06:28 AM

Veranda homes are completely FENCED in. 😊
Old 07-18-2022, 06:57 AM

Quote:
The Villages have NO fenced in yards, but court yard villas that have walled back yards. very nice... but if you can't find one you like, a regular home is fine BUT leash law at all times even on your property. you can walk, on leash, dog parks, and at night to walk for potty before bed is LEASH. KEEP IN MIND we have PREDITORS here, coyotes, hawkes, gators, and yes if unleashed they could possibly get your fur baby. but leash law always if you love your baby... but Court yard villa... leash is not required because your back yard is surrounded by wall.
That’s incorrect. There are 100’s of homes with fenced in yards that are designer homes. They call those Villages Verandas.
Old 07-18-2022, 07:03 AM

We have a home in Hemingway on Nash Loop: our street is the only one with totally fenced in back yard. A 6 ft. high fence
with gate to access backyard.
Old 07-18-2022, 07:31 AM
Default Get a Courtyard villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsstats View Post
We are considering a move to the Villages. We have 2 dogs (about 17 lbs each) we now have a fenced in yard. I know there are some homes that do have fenced in property but if we can't find one how do others deal with their dogs. Do you walk them always? Do you walk them on your property if they need to go out in the middle of the night? Can they be leash free at the dog park so they can run around?
I have 2 small dogs as well. I am single, and didn’t want a big house, so prioritized having a fenced in yard for the little guys. Courtyard villas all have fenced yards. Some verandas do as well, but of course those houses are much higher maintenance.
I have doggie doors in my sliding glass door and bird cage, and have my dogs trained to take themselves out if they need to go. I do also take them to a dog park at least every other day so they can run free with their friends.
Good luck!
Old 07-18-2022, 07:34 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,064 Times in 533 Posts

Quote:
I have a friend in Pine Ridge who has a fenced yard. You are wrong saying the Villages has NO fenced yards,
Old 07-18-2022, 08:34 AM
Gold member
Thanked 1,775 Times in 514 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianherlihy View Post
just let them poop on your lawn not my keep poop at home
Noted.

Now, please share how you deal with rabbits, squirrels, anoles, coyotes, mice, rats, birds, and other wildlife when they poop in your yard. Do you hate them equally? Or do you just hate dogs?
Old 07-18-2022, 10:09 AM

A courtyard villa should be easy to find and there are at least 10 new ones available for a week or more in different neighborhoods. Two (built within last year) in St. Catherines were out there for 1-3 weeks and another available in Chitty Chatty for 2 weeks now.
Old 07-18-2022, 10:42 AM

Quote:
We are considering a move to the Villages. We have 2 dogs (about 17 lbs each) we now have a fenced in yard. I know there are some homes that do have fenced in property but if we can't find one how do others deal with their dogs. Do you walk them always? Do you walk them on your property if they need to go out in the middle of the night? Can they be leash free at the dog park so they can run around?
Fenced in yard

Ask your realtor to show you some. Veranda homes. If you add some sod under the gate, the pets can’t get out. Really easy for middle of the night sessions.
Old 07-18-2022, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhawk View Post
Noted.

Now, please share how you deal with rabbits, squirrels, anoles, coyotes, mice, rats, birds, and other wildlife when they poop in your yard. Do you hate them equally? Or do you just hate dogs?
Hmmm. Wild animals equal domesticated owned-by-human animals.

Interesting perspective.
Old 07-18-2022, 04:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
You would be best to consider buying a villa. You will find lots of other dog owners in developments that are all villas. That makes for understanding neighbors should your dog be an occasional barker. Having said that, dogs need exercise, and so do I, so we walk at least twice a day. Be sure to carry sufficient poop bags and be a thoughtful dog owner. Regardless, no one wants a dog peeing or pooping on their property unless it’s their own. Mine has learned to poop in the street. I clean it up immediately and no one gets upset about that. Hope you find a home you like. This is a pretty great place to live.
Old 07-19-2022, 02:49 AM
Default Dogs

There are plenty of homes with fenced in yards to be had. You just have to search in those areas. However, remember that with small dogs , there are predators out there that aren’t in the north - gators , coyotes, lynx, armadillo, opossums ,etc. they can climb these walls despite having them. Small dogs should not be outside unsupervised ever. As people said. , the villages is dog friendly to a point. It is not appreciated by the owners when you walk your dogs on their property. Those with corner properties do not appreciate your using their property as a bathroom for your dog. I have had dogs since I moved here and have one of these corner properties. I train my dog to the backyard and yet I have walked barefoot out front and stepped in s—-! I have yellow pee marks that I have had to rake out and replant sod and finally reseed. This is not acceptable and property owners will be upset when you do it. People say oh I clean up after my dog but you can never get it all and the bacteria grows destroying someone else’s lawn. If you train your dog to your own property, people will be much happier with you . My dogs have been trained to do this so it can be done.
There are plenty of dog parks especially in the south. Seems like there , they are in every section. They are off-leash but you must remember to clean up after your dog and watch constantly. Recently there was an outbreak of illness in one of the parks due to feces leaving a bacteria. Parks are closed frequently for spraying for this usually 2 weeks at a time so be aware you will have to find another park to visit during those times. Most dog owners there are friendly and most dogs are also. Dog fights break out occasionally so you need to keep a careful watch on your dog at all times. There are 2 sections at each park ( large over 30 lbs and small under 30 lbs) believe it or not I find the large dogs are much friendlier especially to the small dogs. There are some sections along the golf cart path that people have made into dog walks. These are on leash areas and people stop despite not actually being a clarified park and walk their dogs. Many people walk them at the PO Boxes despite being told not to. Some dog owners feel they have the right to do what they want wherever and whenever they want. This is not acceptable and those dog owners ruin it for the rest of us who respect others homes, PO Boxes, paths , etc.
you will find some restaurants are also dog friendly. These are places with outside patios ( keep in mind not all with outside patios are dog friendly - when in doubt ask) many will even provide a bowl of water and even some dog cookies. I usually bring my own water bowl and water as well as treats. Squares are dog friendly also as long as you steer clear of the dancing areas. Many places are cracking down on emotional support dogs and only allowing service dogs . You will be asked for papers if this is the case. Good luck with your choice and I suggest you wait to find a home with a fence if you have a dog . There are plenty out there in both the old and new sections ( courtyard villas in the old ( not patio) and verandas and courtyard in the new.
Closed Thread

Tags
dogs, property, fenced, walk, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.