Dog question

Closed Thread
Old 01-04-2012, 07:18 PM
Default Dog question

I have two Golden Retrievers and I was wondering if a CYV would have enough yard for them. It seems there is alot of cement surrounding the lanai. Also, are there any other Golden owners out there that can advise how their dogs deal with the heat?
Old 01-04-2012, 09:21 PM
Gold member

We have a large corner lot - plenty of room for two dogs.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:25 PM
Sage

Hi Chipper,
Welcome to TOTV! A CYV might have enough yard for them to go out to potty, but not enough for them to exercise.

The good news is that there are free dog parks within TV and a wonderful, inexpensive dog park adjacent to TV called Doggie Do Run Run where your dogs can... well, run to their hearts content and socialize with other animals.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:44 PM

I noticed that there is a CYV on the market in the Village of Virginia Trace, Stillwater Villas, with a very large corner lot. VLS# 210652. As debfrommaine says, plenty of room for two large dogs to enjoy (with fun trips to the dog parks too.)

The new Haciendas at Mission Hills have a few corner lots that are still available; look at 606 MISSION HILLS TRAIL, 655 OSADA AVENUE, 591 FELIU RUN, 627 BERMUDEZ COURT.

Ask your agent to help you find a corner lot. We need more large (real) dogs in TV!!
Old 01-04-2012, 09:47 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills
Default dogs

We bought an end CYV and will be bringing our Irish and English setters with us when we move. We are putting in a huge bird care and still have a grassy area. Let me say that we live on a half acre in Seattle. The dogs hardly ever play in the fenced yard. My husband takes them to the dog park 7 days a week, rain (a lot) or shine (a little). There are some nice dog parks near TV, so you will be fine. We bought at the Haciendas, there is a villa two doors up to us that has the HUGEST yard I have ever seen for a CYV. I mean HUGE. It is like a double lot. We did not buy it because we wanted the end corner villa, smaller villa, but big view. You should check out that CYV, we would like some dog neighbors!
Old 01-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Default Golden Retrievers

Hi, We have a Golden that we bring down in the summer. We usally give him a summer cut to keep any shedding to a minimum. He does fine with the heat as we only take him out in the mornings and in the evenings. I try to keep him in during the hottest part of the day. I think a court yard villa would be O.K. but it might be a little small for two if they are active. I would think the two would prefer a backyard so they could run. Although at our primary house we have about a acre fenced in and my Golden only uses about a 1/10th of a acre to play and do his bussiness. There is some designers just north of 466A with fences off of Odell circle. If you went south on Canal to the second Odell Circle as it is a loop and turned left onto Odell Circle headed towards Havana Country Club it is the first road on the left from what I remember. You would need to find a resale as these are the only houses I have seen with fenced in backyards. We also have a home off of Odell on a small pond and between us and our neigbors there is five Goldens on the pond. Enjoy picking out your next home.

Village of Duval
Old 01-06-2012, 02:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts
Default golden retrievers

Chipper, when are you thinking of moving to TV? We have bought a house in Tamarind Grove and will arrive Feb 1 with our golden, Crosby.

I am anxious to meet other goldens & owners or large friendly dogs and their owners, as our dog is very socialized. We have an apartment here in Pittsburgh, so we take him to a doggy daycare two or three times a week to play and exercise. It is called Camp Bow Wow, which is a chain, but there are none around TV. He loves all non-agressive dogs.

I'd like to find someplace similar to Bow Wow around TV. I plan to check on Bedtime Tails, which has daycare. But it doesn't really say on their site if daycare allows free play all day. I would not like him to be put in a room with only a few minutes' play time.

Any thoughts, Jane or new peeps? I read on another thread that the new Brinson-Perry dog park is not very big, has a slope with little grass, and some cliques. Just what I read... I've not been there. Other dog parks we've been to in FL and MI & PA were places to meet like-minded people and make friends.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Chipper, when are you thinking of moving to TV? We have bought a house in Tamarind Grove and will arrive Feb 1 with our golden, Crosby.

I am anxious to meet other goldens & owners or large friendly dogs and their owners, as our dog is very socialized. We have an apartment here in Pittsburgh, so we take him to a doggy daycare two or three times a week to play and exercise. It is called Camp Bow Wow, which is a chain, but there are none around TV. He loves all non-agressive dogs.

I'd like to find someplace similar to Bow Wow around TV. I plan to check on Bedtime Tails, which has daycare. But it doesn't really say on their site if daycare allows free play all day. I would not like him to be put in a room with only a few minutes' play time.

Any thoughts, Jane or new peeps? I read on another thread that the new Brinson-Perry dog park is not very big, has a slope with little grass, and some cliques. Just what I read... I've not been there. Other dog parks we've been to in FL and MI & PA were places to meet like-minded people and make friends.
Doggie Doo Run Run on CR 101 does doggie day care in a separate fenced area. They also do overnight boarding. Its a private park on ten acres on the outskirts of TV, fenced of course. Better than doggie day care, why not hang out there with your dog? I guarantee you'll meet really nice people. The dogs all run and play together and have a great time. And the dog owners have a great time also, chatting in a shaded area while they watch the dogs play. $25.00 for one dog. $30.00 for two, to join the Dog Park.
Old 01-06-2012, 03:55 PM

Thanks for the post, CFrance. We're still trying to decide what is best for us, a house or villa. It's hard to leave a 3/4 acre fenced back yard here in Michigan. I'm sure others have struggled with the same issue.
Old 01-06-2012, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,371 Times in 817 Posts
Default Fenced Yard

We live on 2 acres and the dogs have over 1/2 acre fenced. We have finally decided on a corner CYV for our Polish Lowland Sheepdogs and our sanity! Coming down in March to look at the Haciendas and hopefully purchase.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:37 PM
Sage
Default To all

Thanks for the Doggy Doo Run Run advice. I do want to mostly come play with my dog, and this sounds like a great place. There will be times when we want to drop him off to play while we have to go elsewhere, so it's good to know of someplace where he can be running around socializing while we're not there.

Chipper, we have had two goldens in three different places. Our first had an acre fenced, then moved to a condo unfenced with our having to have him on a line while we were outside. But there was a dog beach a half mile away. Then the second and current golden began life in the condo/dog beach place, a couple fenced-in small yards in FL in the winter, and this current one-bedroom apartment in Pittsburgh with a patio where he must be tied and has a little bit of room. My point is that both our goldens adjusted to whatever they were given, even if we changed it up. They are such amenable dogs. They just endure. What angels. We live where we want and then provide exercise for them on a regular basis. Every place has a different exercise opportunity; you just have to figure it out after you get there. That's what I'm trying to do now for when we get down to TV.

We looked at CYVs, but decided we wanted a bit more interior space. I did like the fenced-in part, though, for the fact that a dog could mosey. We will get an electronic fence to give our dog some moseying space.

I will say our goldens got hot easily in FL. In Key West I used to walk the neighborhood with each one after dark. It was very safe because no one would accost you with a 75-lb dog on line. Plus, everyone else with a big dog was out walking them after dark too! We met a lot of people that way.
Old 01-07-2012, 11:23 AM

Thank you all for the input. CFrance, we have been to the dog beach in Muskegon...the dogs love it. Best of luck with your move.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:44 PM
Sage

Remember too...in FL dogs shouldn't go near the ponds or lakes! Gators would have a nice feast!!! PLUS they'll need to be on leashes!!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:05 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

730 Avecille Drive in the new Hacienda CYV has the HUGEST Yard, so geat for dogs. I am suprised no one has bought it yet with large dogs. It is like a double lot with a beautiful view. I suggest anyone looking for a CYV with dogs look at this home and yard. When I say the yard is HUGE, I mean huge and it is all fenced and walled. It is perfect for someone with two dogs, big dogs. We will be living in the corner villa near that one with our two bigger dogs. But we looked at this one and the yard was just unbelievable for TV. Check it out, you can walk in the yard without an appointment. Let me know what you think and if you will be our neighbor.
Old 01-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Sage
Default dog beach Muskegon

Chipper, when have you been at the Muskegon dog beach? Maybe our dogs have met.

Anyone else... Is there any shade and a place for owners to sit at Doggie Doo Run Run? Or do people bring lawn chairs? Someone in another thread posted a video of DDRR, but I could not see any seating. Is there water for the dogs? Maybe the video just showed a corner of the field.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.